Remove this Banner Ad

PendlesPremiers

All Australian
Sep 23, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Arsenal

Great mark by Ryan followed by a clear block by Rioli and clear play-on by Sheed. I know it'll be easy to shut me down as a sore loser, but is there any way Sheed shouldn't have been called for play-on? Ridiculous and cowardly umpiring.

Last edited:

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
They let plenty go all game both ways (like Howe dragging it back in late in the third, and then a clear incorrect disposal 30 seconds later by a Pie defender), so you can't just pick out a couple at the end as the influential ones.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Play on was a bit of a stretch, but it was a clear block by rioli.

In saying that, dunno whether you can call that a wrong call in a grand final. If in doubt let it go. You need a bit of luck to win a close game sometimes, especially a close gf. Collingwood can probably point to the ridiculous decision to chip it around with 3 minutes to go if they want to blame anything.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe the Pies were a bit stiff with West Coast's match winning goal I'd argue Stephenson ran 20-25 metres without bouncing the ball before his goal late in the 1st quarter.

Collingwood was leading 30-2 latish in the 1st quarter and was outscored 77-44 from there. Plus if Liam Ryan's two last quarter shots went inbetween the big posts instead of hitting the posts, the controversy before Sheed's mark and goal would be academic.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
streamable.com/ 24f3t (please remove the spaces between the backslash and 24f3t)

Great mark by Ryan followed by a clear block by Rioli and clear play-on by Sheed. I know it'll be easy to shut me down as a sore loser, but is there any way Sheed shouldn't have been called for play-on? Ridiculous and cowardly umpiring.
i agree, umpires didnt have the balls to call howes htb in the goal square either.

swings and roundabouts.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Just got home from the game. Collingwood got the better of the umpiring all day. In the second quarter the Eagles were bent over. No doubt about it. The rubbish 50 that went the Eagles' way and the Rioli infringement (was right in front of me actually) were the only two obvious passages I could see at the game which went the Eagles' way. Also curious why Sidebottom wasn't penalised for a deliberate rushed behind at the end. Haven't seen a replay but at the game it looked like it should have been called deliberate.

autimcx

Debutant
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Contentious call that could have really gone either way as players wrestle like that all the time but don't for the mark. was let go all game anyway so it would have made even less sense to pay it then but not any other time. and if you want to pick out that one call that favoured West Coast, then start calling out the ones that cost West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PendlesPremiers

All Australian
Sep 23, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Arsenal
i agree, umpires didnt have the balls to call howes htb in the goal square either.

swings and roundabouts.
Are you talking about the one where the Eagles player dragged it back into him? The umpire explained that one clearly.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Rioli made contact front on, without Sheed there he could have flown for the mark and would have been in prime position. He has every right to block space, to initiate contact and go for the mark.

He didn't get in there with a bump or back into him to stop his run, he was every chance to mark himself if circumstances were different.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
streamable.com/ 24f3t (please remove the spaces between the backslash and 24f3t)

Yes, I am happy to call you a sore loser. I thought the umps were pretty good and were consistent in only paying very obvious free kicks

Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
The sad thing for Pies fans is that it could have been called a block and it would have been barely questioned,with Collingwood going on to win the GF and the footy world praising the Eagles for their fighting spirit. With Sheed nailing the kick it takes on greater significance. Maybe the ump thought he wouldn’t kick it from that angle.

It looked a block to me as Rioli doesn’t look at any stage interested in competing for the mark...you wonder why they brought in the rule if it’s not to allow Maynard to compete.

The vibe says the Eagles had a lot of chances to win in the last quarter, therefore it’s not a bad decision. But the more critical analysis says Rioli prevented Maynard from competing without any intent to compete himself.

Everyone talks about the Howe decision like the Sheed thing was a square up but fail to remember Barrass getting caught dead in the Pies forward fifty a minute before that. In the end it doesn't really matter. Game's over, result is all that matters.

Flash10

Senior List
Jul 28, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Everyone talks about the Howe decision like the Sheed thing was a square up but fail to remember Barrass getting caught dead in the Pies forward fifty a minute before that. In the end it doesn't really matter. Game's over, result is all that matters.
Both teams had their chances. As a neutral I thought The umpiring was as good as it could be.

bunderson

Senior List
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
what about the Holding the ball non call where Cripps should have a shot at goal from 10m out.
Even the commentators asked 'how did he get away with that?'

yeah Collingwood lost due to the umpires...... sore loser much?

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watched the replay a number of times and I don't see why this is controversial.

Rioli and Maynard are clearly wrestling with each other as is normal for a forward 50 marking contest. Sheed then cuts across in front of them and takes a mark.

That ball was going to that contest before it was cut off.

It's not like he saw Maynard coming and just stepped in and took his run.

Anyway, if you want controversial how Howe not being done holding the ball? Or Goldsack just before half time in the fwd pocket? Or another time about 15m out in front of goals (Goldsack again?)? All text book holding the ball calls that weren't paid in the west coast fwd 50.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Also isnt it meant to he a free kick or 50m penalty if the opposition already has the ball when a runner is too close to the play? The goal was kicked anyway but that seemed to go collingwoods way.

I remember a Hawthorn runner running through the mark in the 2012 prelim when Van Berlo got a free kick about 60m out

Crows pointed out the runner to the umps, and the umpire just said 'already your free kick'

should have been a 50

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Thought the umpires did a good job, but Sheed played on and they missed it after (correctly) calling the Grundy play-on earlier. They're usually red hot on it. Blocking looked obvious from the boundary side camera too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back