The September Grand Final and the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Lou Richards famously buried the Collywobbles after the 1990 GF victory over Essendon - The Pies had lost 8 straight GF appearances dating back to 1960 and hadn't won a flag since 1958

The 1990 final series wasn't standard, with the QF draw between Collingwood & West Coast in week one requiring a replay and the entire series pushed back 1 week. This resulted in an October GF

Collingwood's most recent flag in 2010 came about famously after a GF replay was required after the Saints and Magpies drew the deciding match. The GF replay win by Collingwood was in October

Collingwood have lost 2002 / 2003 / 2011 / 2018 and drew in 2010 September GFs

With no more replays for draws in finals or grand finals, when will Collingwood get to play a GF in October again?

Were the Collywobbles actually buried by Lou Richards back in 1990? Did they just happen to find a loophole to the curse in 1990 & 2010?

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
Lou Richards famously buried the Collywobbles after the 1990 GF victory over Essendon - The Pies had lost 8 straight GF appearances dating back to 1960 and hadn't won a flag since 1958

The 1990 final series wasn't standard, with the QF draw between Collingwood & West Coast in week one requiring a replay and the entire series pushed back 1 week. This resulted in an October GF

Collingwood's most recent flag in 2010 came about famously after a GF replay was required after the Saints and Magpies drew the deciding match. The GF replay win by Collingwood was in October

With no more replays for draws in finals or grand finals, when will Collingwood get to play a GF in October again?

Were the Collywobbles actually buried by Lou Richards back in 1990? Did they just happen to find a loophole to the curse in 1990 & 2010?
October 1st 2011....

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tbh since 1990

2002/2003 we were beaten by a bloody insane lions outfit with a hugely average list. Google our list and you’ll be gobsmacked we pushed them in 2002

2010 best team and we won
2011 Geelong were the best proven 3 times

2018 We overachieved just to make it there and defiantly wasn’t our flag to lose.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
16 teams couldn't make the GF. To mock a club that did, and came very close, from those supporters of clubs that couldn't is disgraceful

I aint mocking them, it's an odd statistical occurrence

also check out the threads from 12 months ago (and since) that have constantly hung s**t on the Crows at every opportunity if you want to find mockery

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I aint mocking them, it's an odd statistical occurrence

also check out the threads from 12 months ago (and since) that have constantly hung s**t on the Crows at every opportunity if you want to find mockery
I get the Crows copped it mercilessly, and it was wrong.

And no. When you start a thread the day after the GF, with that title it's not coincudence and it's not excuseable.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Right I wasn't taking delight, go find some other posts of mine that even suggest glee at Collingwood losing

Just thought it was a weird pattern

I'll delete it though, didn't realise 2011 was in Oct anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
If I am reading correctly.

Collingwood have only won two of thier last fifteen grand finals?

One if them was against st Kilda lol

That's a lot of bad memories for Collingwood fans in thier late 60s

That deadset drug dependence kind of trauma.

It’s the one oft-forgotten rule of football...

Collingwood does not win flags. It just doesn’t happen.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Even when the Pies were up early yesterday I didn't think they were home. I said to my cousin at the time "you can't have the Colliwobbles without the Pies getting up by a few goals early". Even in the 3rd quarter we were discussing the Norm Smith and my cousin said "but what if Collingwood win" and I shot back "Collingwood's not winning".

It's weird there's almost an inevitability about it. They were pretty lucky in 2010 where a different bounce up to Milne would've cost them another. It's pretty crazy not sure what it is but its definitely a thing.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ask any of the 22 players if they even know what the collywobbles are, and they won’t.

When you’re a successful club, that is regularly amongst the best of the whole competition on a regular basis, you’re going to make the big dance.

When compared to others, we haven’t even deserved to make the big dance in a lot of these GFs, eg 1990, 2002, 2018, where we really shouldn’t have even been in the top 2 best for that year.

Even then, Pies have lost 6 GFs by under a goal, so with a bounce of a ball, it could very easily be a completely different record and Collingwood would be considered the best FC in the history of the game.

I get the Crows copped it mercilessly, and it was wrong.

And no. When you start a thread the day after the GF, with that title it's not coincudence and it's not excuseable.
It's interesting that you take that attitude. I think it is a perfectly reasonable topic to discuss and it's not having a go at the Pies by doing so. Yesterday reminded me to some extent of how the Pies lost grand finals when I was growing up watching footy in the 70s.

Since they lost the 1960 Grand Final by some margin to Melbourne:
1964 - lost to Melbourne by 4 points
1966 - lost to St Kilda by 1 point

And then, they started losing after being in good to strong positions:
1970 - lost to Carlton by 10 points after leading by 44 points at half-time
1977 - drew with North after leading by 27 points at 3/4 time (and lost the replay)
1979 - lost to Carlton by 5 points after leading by 28 points 20 minutes into the second quarter in the MCG mud
1980 - lost to Richmond by 81 points (the exception obviously)
1981 - lost to Carlton by 20 points after leading by 21 points late in the 3rd term

They finally broke through in 1990 and the more recent Grand Finals would be well known to posters here (2002, 2003, 2010, 2011 & 2018).

I was born in 1960, so in my lifetime (including 1960, when I was less than a month old), the Pies have played in 16 Grand Finals for 2 wins, 2 draws and 12 losses. And those two wins did come in October, that's just fact.

They have been a remarkably consistent club who I have the utmost respect for, despite the traditional rivalry. At times they have punched above their weight as well, certainly in that period from 77 to 81 and arguably in more recent times as well. (1977 was particularly remarkable, as they made the Grand Final after winning the wooden spoon the season prior - this year was somewhat similar after making the GF from 13th in 2017).

But for some reason they have had a really bad record in Grand Finals once they get there, often forgoing strong positions. Who knows why, and it must be heartbreaking for Collingwood fans of my vintage in particular.

Yesterday was just a continuation of that heartbreak. I feel for the Pies fans.

Last edited:

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It's interesting that you take that attitude. I think it is a perfectly reasonable topic to discuss and it's not having a go at the Pies by doing so. Yesterday reminded me to some extent of how the Pies lost grand finals when I was growing up watching footy in the 70s.

1977 - drew with North after leading by 27 points at 3/4 time (and lost the replay)
1979 - lost to Carlton by 5 points after leading by 28 points 20 minutes into the second quarter in the MCG mud
1981 - lost to Carlton after leading by 21 points late in the 3rd term

They finally broke through in 1990 and the more recent Grand Finals would be well known to posters here (2002, 2003, 2010, 2011 & 2018).

I was born in 1960, so in my lifetime (including 1960, when I was less than a month old), the Pies have played in 16 Grand Finals for 2 wins, 2 draws and 12 losses. And those two wins did come in October, that's just fact.

They have been a remarkably consistent club who I have the utmost respect for, despite the traditional rivalry. At times they have punched above their weight as well, certainly in that period from 77 to 81 and arguably in more recent times as well. (1977 was particularly remarkable, as they made the Grand Final after winning the wooden spoon the season prior - this year was somewhat similar after making the GF from 13th in 2017).

But for some reason they have had a really bad record in Grand Finals once they get there, often forgoing strong positions. Who knows why, and it must be heartbreaking for Collingwood fans of my vintage in particular.

Better to play in all those grannies and at least win a few than not have won any since the 60s. Feel for Saints fans the most.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee, some nuffies from other clubs have given themselves up as total morons in the last 24 hours.

When your side isn't good enough to make the big-dance, and you take such delight in another club losing - means things aren't going all that well on your side of the fence.

Sad, really.
Not really, any self respecting football fan should be able to take some pleasure in Collingwood losing a close grand final. I certainly did.

Being openly vitriolic or hostile to your fans is another thing though

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

Just to get it correct 27 gf losses all time high that’s as many spoons as the saints, 2 wins since 1959 that’s 60 years and 12 losses to put it in perspective, the loophole is play the GF in October because September is magpie season

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

1981 - lost to Carlton after leading by 21 points late in the 3rd term

They have been a remarkably consistent club who I have the utmost respect for, despite the traditional rivalry. At times they have punched above their weight as well, certainly at times in that period from 77 to 81. (1977 was particularly remarkable, as they made the Grand Final after winning the wooden spoon the season prior - this year was somewhat similar after making the GF from 13th in 2017).

My sense is the general view is respect, grudging or otherwise for the Pies season. Particularly Buckley for showing real class yesterday.
The day after the GF is a really bad time to troll a club. I get the record in my lifetime. The first I remember is the 1970 GF. They have two flags since then and others have done worse.

I have no love if Collingwood. I tipped and hoped for a WC win yesterday, but without any emotional involvement.

I do have real contempt for supporters of clubs mocking others who do better though. Not every club can play in the GF, but every club should be trying. I also respect clubs like Hawrhorn, North, Geelong, Adelaide and the Swans. No "we're rebuilding" and we'll be great at some unspecified time in the future, and it's ok to finish down the ladder, for them. Every year they have crack, and their supporters mostly invest and risk disappointment.

That's what supporting a team is to me, not trying to drag down others.

Ok rant over, but it is what I believe.

blckcaviar

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t understand why Collingwood supporters are angry with opposition supporters barracking and gloating against them. It’s only natural especially for Essendon, Carlton and Richmond supporters. If the shoe was on the other foot, most of them would do the same.

Exactly. Collingwood are the most easily offended fan-base in the league. Of course they're going to cop a little for losing (another) GF, if they can't deal with some banter on a forum they need to go sook quietly elsewhere

Back