Collingwood 2019 - Redemption?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the Pies are a strong chance to repeat their Grand Final performance of 2018, and perhaps go one better. The Pies exceeded expectations this season, and surprised many with their exceptional year and stunning finals campaign.

Collingwood have a young list blended with star studded experience, with Stephenson, Phillips an De Goey stepping up along with Thomas and Adams. Cox excelled in the ruck and looms dangerous going forward and almost single handedly dragged his team over the line in the second half of the Grand Final. He's looking at becoming the most dominant big man in the game. Pendlebury, Varcoe, and Sidebottom have class to go with maturity and with other younger players in Maynard, Hoskin-Elliot and Langdon the Pies form a pretty formidable lineup. Chris Mayne showed he can play a role in big games and act as a stopper, and Buckley in charge proved he can manage his troops and going forward takes added confidence and belief after a superb finals run.

Collingwood has a bit of history on their side as the last run of Grand Finals made has been followed up with another crack at the big dance in proceeding years. In 2002 after their narrow loss to Brisbane the black and whites went toe to toe with the Lions again in 03. It wasn't successful but nonetheless they got there, as they did in 2011 against Geelong after defeating the Saints The previous year. With the experience of a battle hardened finals campaign, class, talent, and the bitter agonising taste of defeat, perhaps the Pies have a recipe for success as the sting from losing in 2018 will spur them in to greater heights In 2019.

The Pies are well poised for another serious assault in next year. They'll certainly go close, but can they go all the way?

They'll certainly take some stopping.

With a tougher draw they will come back to the pack. To quote any super fund, "past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance".

You can once again build a case for 10-12 clubs (with varying levels of optimism and luck) but Collingwood are not a team that I fear in the same way that Richmond was this year.

I feel it could go either way with Collingwood next year. Could finish top 4 again or could finish outside the top 8. How they fare next season after getting so far and so close this year will be intriguing.

If they can maintain their 2018 form and get some key players back they'll be right up there.

Had a poor record against top 8 sides during the year then ran WC close twice, beat GWS and beat Richmond in the finals. They are good enough to beat good teams, but they'll need to win 16/17 games again and carry form into September to back it up. I would assume Scharenberg is out for 2019 but they'll need Moore/Dunn/Reid back in to shore up the defence. And another target to help Cox would help.

1 win against a top eight side during the home and away.

They over achieved more than Richmond last year

They only really had one good game and that was against Richmond in the prelim with an injured Dustin Martin.

Gws had major injuries when they beat them the week before

Collingwood relied on flooding to hold west coast in the second half. The new rule changes are designed to counter those boring negative tactics.

I think the gains Collingwood made this season are real and pretty sustainable. They lost a bunch of players to injuries but the guys who they came to rely on stood up pretty well.

If I was a Collingwood fan, I'd be looking at the 2018 GF side and thinking about how they take that core of guys who are maybe aged 28 and younger, and then take a handful of really specific steps to get the extra improvement to then win a flag through the next little period before the likes of Sidebottom and Howe finish up. That's a fair window to work with, given Sidebottom is relatively young at 27 and Howe is 28.

The first question is probably in the key defensive positions. Goldsack is 31/32 and not a genuine key defender. Langdon had a very good season and finals series but is undersized at 190cm. Do they stick with Lynden Dunn, who's also 31/32? Do they bank on getting another few decent years out of Ben Reid, who'll be 30 in April?

When you put it in those terms, it's no surprise they're into Steven May and Marcus Adams. They'd also be hoping to hang onto Darcy Moore, one would think?

My other question would be about whether they need an upgrade on Mihocek, assuming Cox is now a keeper. And whether there's enough quality run-and-carry on the outside to complement and eventually replace someone like Varcoe.

That aside, Collingwood might also consider the status of some older players. Mayne turns 30 next month. Varcoe turns 31 in April. Greenwood turns 30 in April. Pendlebury turns 31 in January. Wells turns 34 in February. That's not to draw a line through those guys. Not sure about Wells but the others could all go again in 2019 and probably 2020 as well. I would, however, be thinking about who are the younger players waiting in the wings as readymade replacements. I think they've got some options across the board but that's the transition that will need to happen eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayden Sier will play a huge part in our midfield next year, and he’s just in time for Pendlebury’s decline. He was probably in our top 5-10 across all four finals.

In 12 games he averaged 20 disposals at 70%, 11 contested possessions, 5 score involvements, 5 tackles, 4 clearances and 4 inside 50’s a game. Who knows how high he can fly

The comp is a lot more even nowadays, hard to back up good seasons. Pies could do a doggies next year or a Richmond and contend finishing in the top 4.

No guarantees, that’s why when you’re there you just gotta win them haha.

The 2019 threads have started early.
There are 2 things that can happen when you win a flag.
You are suddenly set up for a back-to-back-to-back dynasty

Or

You get a few days to enjoy the flag then suddenly your team is s**t and there are least 8 better sides in the AFL set to overtake you.

There are 2 things that can happen when you win a flag.
You are suddenly set up for a back-to-back-to-back dynasty

Or

You get a few days to enjoy the flag then suddenly your team is s**t and there are least 8 better sides in the AFL set to overtake you.
Meh. I'm pretty chillaxed about it at the moment.

Belief is a big thing. Ignore the easy draw bullshit. It may play a hand but when belief is built it then becomes irrelevant for the future.

I reckon we could see them against Richmond or Melbourne next year. As much as I believe in my team, it's so difficult to get top 2 as a non Vic club. Now we've been up there, opposition will plan for us even harder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are still waiting for the next dominant side to emerge. Until then almost any anyone can win it.

Pies are a chance to emerge as the next big thing if they can fix a few weaknesses - under sized backline the main one. Imagine they land May and Moore gets his s**t together.

Richmond are probably still the best placed and will improve their structure with the addition of Lynch.

Melbourne have all the pieces but they are head cases.

West Coast have all the pieces. If they can keep Gaff they get to add him and Nic Nat to a premiership side :eek:

Adelaide will be back although a few of their key pieces are getting to the end, especially Betts.

It is not clear how it is going to play out but Collingwood are as well placed as anyone as long as they don't do something stupid, i.e. Mayne and Wells. It is interesting that the pies have a few pieces to trade out - Elliott in particular who must have pretty decent value. Faso as well to a lessor extent.

1 win against a top eight side during the home and away.

They over achieved more than Richmond last year

They only really had one good game and that was against Richmond in the prelim with an injured Dustin Martin.

Gws had major injuries when they beat them the week before

Collingwood relied on flooding to hold west coast in the second half. The new rule changes are designed to counter those boring negative tactics.

Brisbane Dockers games will be swapped out to play two other teams . Will always play Carlton and Essendon twice , as that's how it is

Played reigning premier in Richmond twice.

Draw probably wont change that much. If we have to play Melbourne twice next year thatd be fantastic. Plus assuming one of the 5-8 teams and West Coast

Sadly wont get to play crows twice as they finished too low to be significant after a GF appearance

Belief is a big thing. Ignore the easy draw bullshit. It may play a hand but when belief is built it then becomes irrelevant for the future.

I reckon we could see them against Richmond or Melbourne next year. As much as I believe in my team, it's so difficult to get top 2 as a non Vic club. Now we've been up there, opposition will plan for us even harder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When most of your improvement came from young/mid players, its hard to see West Coast not being there abouts again. Back to back is hard , but no easy beats on home turf and starting to travel well away.

Cox is a mediocre ruckman, and decent forward. He's not set to become "the dominant big man in the game".

Not sure Steven May or Marcus Adams actually add anything that we're lacking defensively, aside from a lower age, especially when you consider the cost to get them and their injury histories. Adams is particularly suspect as a man-on-man defender, too.

Not really sure a whole lot of tinkering is needed for 2019 TBH. Even if we "just" finish top 4 next year, it's no "failure" or disappointment, given the age profile of the list. Plenty of opportunity to capitalise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back