Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:
Think he an average defender. Better then Maibaum but not by much.

Think he's a bit better than average. He's not an attacking defender and isnt an interceptor but doesnt get beat often. I see him as Reg type with less intercepting ability at this stage. Given that he is 21, he has a lot of time to improve. He seems to be very reliable and unlike when Reg kicks it, I dont hold my breath.

Think he's a bit better than average. He's not an attacking defender and isnt an interceptor but doesnt get beat often. I see him as Reg type with less intercepting ability at this stage. Given that he is 21, he has a lot of time to improve. He seems to be very reliable and unlike when Reg kicks it, I dont hold my breath.

Reg didn’t even really play in defence until his fourth year on the list (2009, he debuted in 2006).

Melican, who is entering his fourth year on the list in 2019 (and has lost two full seasons to injury), has plenty of development in him. Is a bit quicker than Reg, his kicking skills are pretty good and he is composed. Will only get better.

Reg didn’t even really play in defence until his fourth year on the list (2009, he debuted in 2006).

Melican, who is entering his fourth year on the list in 2019 (and has lost two full seasons to injury), has plenty of development in him. Is a bit quicker than Reg, his kicking skills are pretty good and he is composed. Will only get better.
Agreed. It's just the injury history which has me slightly concerned. Melican has had a recurring pattern of injuries which, if as a result of loading from moving up NEAFL>AFL, would be my biggest fear with him. That he (like Reid, Tippo or AJ) just isn't built for footy.

He's only young though so I hope he sorts it out for good & it isn't an ongoing issue.

At this stage there is no reason to suggest it isn't anything other than bad luck though.

Fu The Far Flung, has it on good authority, that Lewis The Minder Melican is currently being worked on by The Bloods Boffins and Bureaucrats. Down, in deepest bowels of Bloods HQ. The end result you might ask - a Bloods backman bearing an arm of Bucky Barnes style spoiling sophistication that only Steve Austin could consider.
Ear massaging us and all comers - to the 2019 Flag!
Who can. Melican.

Onwards to Victory!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-12-27/kennelly-excited-by-defence

No mention of Melican at all in this article - is there a bigger problem here I wonder?

I honestly thought that he and Aliir would be the backbone of our defence for years to come.

Just guessing here but maybe there wasn't much point mentioning him since he won't be a likely round one starter because of his injuries? I think all the pieces that the Swans site have been churning out are to get the supporter base excited about the start of the new season, and Melican may just not be a part of it as it stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last was he had a knee issue pretty sure

Google seems to suggest he injured his hamstring early in the season, as he recovered and near return injured his other hamstring and then in July re-injured the same hamstring (and had surgery at this point I think).

Prior to that he hurt his quad and I think had quad problems early on.

I can’t find any information indicating a knee injury of any kind, at least not documented.

Thought Melican had his best game for the year. Strong defensively, intercepted a few and chose good options with ball in hand. Starting to look similar to his 2017 form.

really cut the space down on his opponent today

I have not been a Melican fan but thought he was solid yesterday. Showed better decision making.

Thought his effort v Footscray in Round 1 was the most incompetent display I have seen from a kpd in a long time and was the main factor in that loss.

He has improved since and yesterday held his own reaching his optimum as a good ordinary player.

Two weeks in a row has looked to close space and smash into contests

long way to go but good to see

I really hope the coaches reinforce those two things. Staying attached to this man and using his size. He battered some Giants out of the way last night which was great to see.

Like to acknowledge young Lewy’s effort last week given the whippings he gets around here at times.
Becoming a pretty clear pattern now that he takes a bit longer than the average bloke to work into form but when he gets there he can compete with the very best. Kudos to the selectors for making him work for his position this season... I hope they recognise how this worked out and don’t attempt to rush him back in in the future.
Good that McCartin and Lewy seem to have clarified their responsibilities in the absence of Rampe, I thought both were outstanding when all things pointed to a debacle down back against the scariest key forward duo in the comp.
Credit to him also for his positive frame of mind in the face of his injury setback, and focussing on the big picture that is the success of the club. He’ll do me as a humble, hardworking Swan battler every time he’s chosen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back