New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I'm not going to buy into the criticism of too much League and or Rugby talk til there's conclusive proof.

My interpretation of people on here about too much League/Rugby talk is any League/Rugby talk!

I've heard heaps of AFL talk, including from the Sydney contingent.

Its the Sydney centric vibe of the station that bothers me more then the League talk.

It’s the typical Sydney media strategy of jaming all that Sydney pretentious crap that it thinks it’s the centre of the world down our throats and we should all follow it. You see it with the mainstream news, on FoxSports and the morning shows too! When will they get it! Melbourne isn’t Sydney and you can’t turn Melbourne in to Sydney! It just doesn’t work never has! They can shove as much Rugby League as they like it’s not gonna get through down here.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Its the Sydney centric vibe of the station that bothers me more then the League talk.

It’s the typical Sydney media strategy of jaming all that Sydney pretentious crap that it thinks it’s the centre of the world down our throats and we should all follow it. You see it with the mainstream news, on FoxSports and the morning shows too! When will they get it! Melbourne isn’t Sydney and you can’t turn Melbourne in to Sydney! It just doesn’t work never has! They can shove as much Rugby League as they like it’s not gonna get through down here.
I just think when you're doing a national sports radio station, you have to cover both AFL and NRL more or less equally. In this case a "national" covers the eastern states, where two of the three states are NRL states. Idk how it can avoid talking about it less?

I think if we're being fair, a national sports station would have 1/3 AFL talk, 1/3 NRL talk, and 1/3 for the rest of whatever is topical. That's where I say unless there's conclusive proof of too much attention of one or the other, I wouldn't buy it. I know with the ABC, they time the amount of air time both Labor and Liberal get to avoid any claim of bias. It's something like that is what would have to happen with this station for me to agree.

While no doubt the NRL doesn't have the support of the AFL does here in Victoria. I don't think Victorians completely dismiss it's presence. State of Origin is a one off and it's not the NRL, but it is a game of RL. It doesn't happen, but they could host a SoO game here every year and it would fill the MCG no problem nowadays. In the whole time I've been listening to SEN. One of the most notable days I remember was following the all-Sydney 13 GF. People complained pretty much the whole day that channel 9 didn't show the presentation. So much so that the following year (and from then on), when there was another all-Sydney GF, c9 showed the full presentation. So I don't think we're completely dismissive of NRL.

May 22, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Ox and Marco trying too hard to be a national program. Fail!

First up coming straight out of the weekend and they're talking with an ex-Wallaby about the general state of rugby union. Meanwhile, there's big news breaking in the AFL.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I took me a minute or two to work out who the other voice was with Ox & Marko this evening on my short drive home from the train station only for it to be Greg! "Venom!" Denham!

Between the 3 of them they would struggle to fill the back of a postage stamp with there knowledge of rugby league outside the Melbourne Storm which is what they were attempting to discuss.
I switched over.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Funny that we basically had 2 sen dedicated threads, now we have one combined sen, rsn, Macquarie sports radio thread only. Bedford will not be happy.

So there is no SEN dedicated thread anywhere?
I wondered where it got to. Wasn't there one on footy fourth estate?

Edit nevermind found it.

I enjoy Macquarie. The arvo show, shane mcguiness (?) and or matt "hysteria" thompson do fly the afl flag. I dont mind the nrl talk, if anything it will broaden pro afl minds and value add to their own sporting knowledge. Whilst I dont pay attention, it helps me concentrate on the road if im driving.

Tiff cherry was my first sports media crush.

weekends bill woods and duclos are interesting. interestingly poor. woods tries, and works a lot on foxsports. he has long hours. last weekend duclos was talking about drinking and winning a bet for beer....and that shed drink it before the shows over. This was i reckon 7am.

I agree morning shows are sydney sydney sydney. when i did watch must be 10 years agom the news reports are all sydney stuff, even mentioning the suburb the event happened in. very detailed. news about other states were general in nature. foxsports is the same.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I enjoy Macquarie. The arvo show, shane mcguiness (?) and or matt "hysteria" thompson do fly the afl flag. I dont mind the nrl talk, if anything it will broaden pro afl minds and value add to their own sporting knowledge. Whilst I dont pay attention, it helps me concentrate on the road if im driving.

Tiff cherry was my first sports media crush.

weekends bill woods and duclos are interesting. interestingly poor. woods tries, and works a lot on foxsports. he has long hours. last weekend duclos was talking about drinking and winning a bet for beer....and that shed drink it before the shows over. This was i reckon 7am.

I agree morning shows are sydney sydney sydney. when i did watch must be 10 years agom the news reports are all sydney stuff, even mentioning the suburb the event happened in. very detailed. news about other states were general in nature. foxsports is the same.

I did write that post a few months back when the station first went on air. I have been listening more recently and it is far more balanced between the two cities. The afternoon show is good I agree, better than listening to Andy Maher anyway. The hosts seem to have a good amount of knowledge on most sports too. haven't really listened on weekends or mornings. I like the station it's a good alternative to SEN which is pretty much all AFL all day.

I did write that post a few months back when the station first went on air. I have been listening more recently and it is far more balanced between the two cities. The afternoon show is good I agree, better than listening to Andy Maher anyway. The hosts seem to have a good amount of knowledge on most sports too. haven't really listened on weekends or mornings. I like the station it's a good alternative to SEN which is pretty much all AFL all day.

Yes duly noted. Your post was a good wrap at the time, and theyve improved as you suggested. I think the chemistry in the arvo is good, and there's enough pull from melb and syd hosts to keep the tug of war between codes going so that there's not too much of either code content

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting. Seems to be skewed more towards to Sydney I think ,more NRL talk than AFL on the Ox and Mark show Im finding when Im listening.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Jee, Brian Waldron isn't shy when it comes to self-promotion. Is he still looking for a high-paying job? :D
Every week he seems to remind the listeners of something "great" he did.
Tonight he indirectly took credit for the success that The Storm and The Saints had because he got Leading Teams to both clubs.

Last edited:
What happen to the afternoon crew? I was starting to enjoying them, looks like they’ve been replaced by some lone Sydney flog!

12-2? yeah just the sydney bloke. before i thought they had matt thompson with these two

AFN-feature.png

miekle is very strong.

Seasonal?

What’s this station frequency?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
12-2? yeah just the sydney bloke. before i thought they had matt thompson with these two

AFN-feature.png

miekle is very strong.

Shane’s McInnes actually

Marko and Ox are having a week off, so maybe some other presenters are too

Thats what I though too but it’s been a few weeks now.
Have they been replaced or moved on to a new time slot?

Back