Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Wont be staying, Swans will give him away to Geelong to do the right thing by Gary.
They have cap issues. It’s intensified because Rohan is on pretty good coin, resulting from keeping him in Sydney a couple of years back.

They have cap issues. It’s intensified because Rohan is on pretty good coin, resulting from keeping him in Sydney a couple of years back.

Personally I'd love to keep him at the Swans if we could recruit someone else with speed so that Gary just adds to our speed rather than is the one. Seeing him go to another team makes me think he will add speed to them and suddenly we are a bit slow against that type of opposition.

However, to your point. I didn't really consider their cap issues so very interesting how that plays out

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Like I do with all our players, I hope the club works for the best interest of Gary Rohan, particularly after the year he's had. A trade to Geelong is obviously the best looking option, but if Gary and the club both believe it's better that he stays, then I'm OK with that too.

What I would NOT be happy about is if he stays and Longmire continues to gift him games at AFL level.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
AFL Player ratings best games recorded in a final 2010-2018
View attachment 566940

Look at number 7 on this list. The next week in the GF he started at CHF, had a poor game, and has barely been in the backline since.

If he stays with us, surely playing him off the backline must be tried again. Would enable us to have pace while using Jones and Mills in the midfield.
Sorry to raise this but the Horse game plan does not put a priority on pace off the half back line. Quite the reverse figuratively and literally. Another career blighted by being played out of position. Aliir was kept out the firsts because of his irresponsible propensity to play on after marking. Threw the whole system out dont you know.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Poor old gaz is on Instagram this arvo making his feelings known about his impending move. Not happy about it. Kind of wish Harley/the club didn’t feel the need to bullshit about it: charitably, they think they’re being kind, but being incredibly patronising in the process; uncharitably, they’re incompetent at brand damage control.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Poor old gaz is on Instagram this arvo making his feelings known about his impending move. Not happy about it. Kind of wish Harley/the club didn’t feel the need to bullshit about it: charitably, they think they’re being kind, but being incredibly patronising in the process; uncharitably, they’re incompetent at brand damage control.

I mean I'm glad Rohan is going (for him, the club, and me - god he annoyed me) but this is the kind of thing that highlights the inequity in perception between players and clubs breaking contracts. When a player wants to leave before a contract ends, it's a sign that loyalty in football is dead. When a club wants to trade a player before a contract ends, they dress it up as the best thing for the club and nobody cares.

And Harley's political, media-trained way of speaking is god-awful.

adam waite

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Amen to that. Good when he's good but too often goes missing either through injury or big-game choke. Lovely bloke but we need to unclog our list. Good luck at the Cattery.
Sad to see him go . He has saved us numerous times in crucial games. But he is a lazy footballer, camping out on the wing waiting for stuff to happen, to use his pace, sorry not on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Two conflicting instagram activities in one day..this is too much!! People must be going insane, over analysing a picture of his dog as a sign he's staying at the swans, when the trade period hasn't even started!

He’s saying he’s not leaving of his own volition: the club has instigated the move.

My understanding is he’s not particularly thrilled, which is fair enough if you’re contracted i think.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
He’s saying he’s not leaving of his own volition: the club has instigated the move.

My understanding is he’s not particularly thrilled, which is fair enough if you’re contracted i think.
You can say ‘no’, it’s an option available to him!

basilcampbell

Senior List
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley was one of the game changers in that match. Beyond all our 22 that day, special credit goes to Goddard as the game turner.

And Mick Newman with a great contested mark in the goal square if I recall correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
If he stays he won't play seniors with us again, unless he backs himself in and goes on a new contract. The contract should be half the current salary with performance based incentives.
What possible factor could his contract have in determining whether he plays seniors or not? That is just a ridiculous post!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Contract value, regardless of the type of contract has no bearing whatsoever on whether you play Seniors or NEAFL...you are talking absolute tripe!

Back