Prediction The Race to 300

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
Who will be the first Eagle to 300 games?

Hurn needs 52 more games, so roughly two more very successful campaigns and change and he's hardly missed a game in the last four. After that we have LeCras, Kennedy and Masten next in line who for different reasons I don't see getting there. You'd have to put Shuey and Darling as most likely after that. Hurn's elevation to elite smaller defender in the last two seasons should push him there, hopefully he can stay fit to do it.

Hurn seems like the unbackable favourite to do it. Premiership captain that's unlikely to be stepping down any time soon. Durable. Just had an All-Australian season. I know Dean Cox was retired two seasons after his last AA, but Hurn's a different type of beast, physically.

Can't see anyone else really getting close. LeCras would need another 4 seasons, Kennedy and Masten another 5. That ain't happening unless Masten becomes some sort of indispensable veteran. Even Shuey and Darling need another 7 seasons to get close. Would really need to stay completely injury free.

Can't see anyone else on our list having a chance... unless Gaff stays. He'll be a 300 game player easily me thinks. Sheppard is 28 next year and only halfway there.

Of those under halfway, probably Liam Duggan the best setup for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, has lost a tiny bit of power, not sure if it's old age or because he's increasing his running?

I imagine the Rocca boys for example can still roost a footy in their old age, seems weird for Hurn to just lose distance like that.

Do not want to jinx him. Assuming regular finals appearances and no injuries, Darling (26) having already played 172 games could get there when he is 32-33 - Cox was already past 33 when he played 290th game. Hurn is the closest but as Quinz said he needs at least another 3 more seasons which means he has to keep on playing until he is about 34.

Hurn has definitely lost power in his kick , as Q stick did . Next season is ok so should get 275 ish , 300 is a stretch .
Maybe it's time to hit the weights again. He has such an accurate kick anyhow, his intercept marking is elite, his strength is elite, his decision making is elite. There's no reason why losing power in his kick should be a decisive factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back