Strategy GWS must keep Tom Scully

Remove this Banner Ad

ChrisHunt313131

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a GWS (& North member) I can understand GWS losing Shiel and Lobb due to the salary cap squeeze but it will be very disappointing if Scully goes too - I think it is imperative to keep Scully, such a good runner, leader by example and important player - sets the standard of hard work along with Ward!

Need Scully to stay at GWS for his whole career in my opinion!

As a GWS (& North member) I can understand GWS losing Shiel and Lobb due to the salary cap squeeze but it will be very disappointing if Scully goes too - I think it is imperative to keep Scully, such a good runner, leader by example and important player - sets the standard of hard work along with Ward!

Honestly the whole story has blown up from a comment scully made about eventually moving back to Melbourne. In context the comment was talking about him post afl career. Out of context it combines with a salary cap squeeze to make headlines about him leaving

I’m not worried

I get you're genuine, and where your coming from. There's no indication he has any intention of leaving though, or the club in letting him go.

I was surprised at the possible exit of Shiel and Lobb but there's no reason to think it cap forcing them out. I expected us to hold them to their contracts but I accept what McCartney said and it's about reading them before FA if they intend to go then.Nwitgeris out the door yet and from statements as opposed to clickbait it's pretty clear both are ok with staying next year.

Finlayson and Setterfield are what happens at the end of the trade period, list adjustments.

For us, for the last couple of years and for the next few, minimal change is good so trade period isn't something to look forward to.

I snort in derision at Barretts attempts to create a beat up where we are millions oblver the cap and the club is about to be dissolved and the executive team gaoled.

I do accept we will be trying to pay the list we have what they're worth, and wont be throwing offers around for a while.. It's very much a first world problem though. Things could be a lot worse.

I do share the concerns about losing players, but I also think it's a bit sad it's the focus the day after the clubs showcase.

It'll sort itself out, and we'll be contenders next year.

He's my favourite player in our side. Very dissapointed for him when he was out most of 2018. I think he will have unfinished business since he has missed so much football and will stay with the club.

Scully isn't that important to the side, more of a depth player and I don't think he has shown massive loyalty to the team to deserve any special privilege. That being said there is no point in losing players unless you get a better player or deal in return.

Scully isn't that important to the side, more of a depth player and I don't think he has shown massive loyalty to the team to deserve any special privilege. That being said there is no point in losing players unless you get a better player or deal in return.
Scully took a pay cut to stay and is a machine in the middle. Love the bloke.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I will disagree with you on this and I think everyone will have him in their starting 18 and he has improved his ability and although he is primarily an outside player his body is able to go inside on occasion and get the ball and he would be one of the best kicks in the team
On loyalty he has extended his initial contract and his salary is lower than what he should be being paid
I think next year the team will be much better with him in it and IMO he will play out his career at the Giants

I will disagree with you on this and I think everyone will have him in their starting 18 and he has improved his ability and although he is primarily an outside player his body is able to go inside on occasion and get the ball and he would be one of the best kicks in the team
On loyalty he has extended his initial contract and his salary is lower than what he should be being paid
I think next year the team will be much better with him in it and IMO he will play out his career at the Giants

We paid a year for him in 2018 that he never did a single thing for the side. Injury can be relatively random and is not necessarily anyone's fault but in the end it has to be calculated in regards to whether it helps success or not. He was paid more than he was worth for more years than he was paid less, so that is what concerns me, and he isn't a game breaker he is a runner. I hope if he plays in 2019 for GWS then he is a good player, but if we are to trade him than we should be trying to get more than less.

Look at McCarthy for freo, he got there on a relatively nice contract despite being slow, plodding and not kicking many goals. Imagine if he was still with us taking up salary space because of his "potential" rather than what he delivers.

We paid a year for him in 2018 that he never did a single thing for the side. Injury can be relatively random and is not necessarily anyone's fault but in the end it has to be calculated in regards to whether it helps success or not. He was paid more than he was worth for more years than he was paid less, so that is what concerns me, and he isn't a game breaker he is a runner. I hope if he plays in 2019 for GWS then he is a good player, but if we are to trade him than we should be trying to get more than less.

Look at McCarthy for freo, he got there on a relatively nice contract despite being slow, plodding and not kicking many goals. Imagine if he was still with us taking up salary space because of his "potential" rather than what he delivers.
Injured in 2018 due to circumstances out of his control but was elite in 2016 and 2017. Is like a Steele Sidebottom on steroids. Defends and tackles when noone else on the team can get back and still manages to get forward into space away from his opponent to sneak goals. Very underated in my opinion and does so much behind the scene work to make everyone look better. Has a very important role in the team.

You could use that argument for most players, Cameron and his 5 game suspension, Greene and his injuries this year which I think were as a result of whatever he did last off season, Kelly missing several games, Williams, Patton the list goes on and how much of that s down to the player, the fitness staff opposition players it all adds up and it is the nature of the salary cap and list numbers that make winning a premiership so hard
I will not say that Scully missing pretty much the whole season was a major factor in the season result for the club but it contributed and i am confident he will come back hungrier for success next season
And no way the club entertains a trade and I cannot see Scully looking to leave the club
I was very disappointed when Scully didn't make it back during the season butI am sure he is hurting way more and he will use that as motivation

Your posts in this thread are a stitch up right?

You could use that argument for most players, Cameron and his 5 game suspension, Greene and his injuries this year which I think were as a result of whatever he did last off season, Kelly missing several games, Williams, Patton the list goes on and how much of that s down to the player, the fitness staff opposition players it all adds up and it is the nature of the salary cap and list numbers that make winning a premiership so hard
I will not say that Scully missing pretty much the whole season was a major factor in the season result for the club but it contributed and i am confident he will come back hungrier for success next season
And no way the club entertains a trade and I cannot see Scully looking to leave the club
I was very disappointed when Scully didn't make it back during the season butI am sure he is hurting way more and he will use that as motivation

1) Is the injury Scully has likely to stop him from being at his best in 2019? Probably.
2) Have other players retired after suffering fractures in their leg? Yes, Dane swan was a big one in the last years.
3) Scully is known mostly for having very good cardio and running all day, that a sore ankle will limit.

I'm not saying Scully is a bad player, but to me going forward he is a depth player because I doubt he will come back good from his injury. You cannot look on past performances and think it is going to happen again when major injuries happen. I hope that I am wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the noise is there because our resident board insider (told us about Lynch last year) said that Scully was 100% at the club.

That doesn't mean we'll get him, but the logical conclusion is that he was there for a medical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back