List Balance

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Our list balance is ******* mess. Has anyone put any thought into it what so ever.

I am finding this trade period the most frustrating ever, and if we get Lobb it will be like us chasing Tarrant all over again.

Rucks - 5 players into 1 position. (Far too many rucks) - no more than 3 is needed, ideally you have someone like Lobb in the 3 who can also play forward.

Aaron Sandilands
Lloyd Meek
Scott Jones
Sean Darcy
Michael Apeness

Key Defenders
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Shane Kersten
Logue - if needed can play here

Key Forwards - at best two positions, and we are chasing Hogan and Lobb.
Matt Taberner
Brennan Cox - starting to show promise. Why would you relicate him to the WAFL.
Luke Strnadica

Small\medium defenders

Luke Ryan
Nathan Wilson
Ryan Nyhuis
Taylin Duman

Small forwards - not one player has express speed, and knows how to kick goals. Can we please target some people with skill
Brandon Matera
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne
Stefan Giro

medium forwards - 1 position unless you are very agile
Hugh Dixon
Cam McCarthy

Midfielders (Not enough quality and quantity)
Griffin Logue
David Mundy
Nat Fyfe
Connor Blakely
Ethan Hughes
Adam Cerra
Harley Bennell
Andrew Brayshaw
Tom North
Darcy Tucker
Stephen Hill
Ed Langdon
Brady Grey
Bradley Hill
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Lachie Neale
Mitchell Crowden

Our list balance is ******* mess. Has anyone put any thought into it what so ever.

I am finding this trade period the most frustrating ever, and if we get Lobb it will be like us chasing Tarrant all over again.

Rucks - 5 players into 1 position. (Far too many rucks) - no more than 3 is needed, ideally you have someone like Lobb in the 3 who can also play forward.

Aaron Sandilands
Lloyd Meek
Scott Jones
Sean Darcy
Michael Apeness

Key Defenders
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Shane Kersten

Matt Taberner
Luke Strnadica

Small\medium defenders

Luke Ryan
Nathan Wilson
Ryan Nyhuis
Taylin Duman

Small forwards - not one player has express speed, and knows how to kick goals. Can we please target some people with skill
Brandon Matera
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne
Stefan Giro

Hugh Dixon
Cam McCarthy

Griffin Logue
David Mundy
Nat Fyfe
Connor Blakely
Ethan Hughes
Adam Cerra
Harley Bennell
Andrew Brayshaw
Tom North
Darcy Tucker
Stephen Hill
Ed Langdon
Brady Grey
Bradley Hill
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Lachie Neale
Mitchell Crowden
Not sure how you got Huge in the medium forwards (he is 195cm) and Griff in the midfielders? Every game he has played is either forward or back. Also Switta is clearly a small forward.

In any event, list is too short. Need more rucks and 200cm forwards.

Not sure how you got Huge in the medium forwards (he is 195cm) and Griff in the midfielders? Every game he has played is either forward or back. Also Switta is clearly a small forward.

In any event, list is too short. Need more rucks and 200cm forwards.

I felt Dixon was agile enough to play as the 3rd forward. I am hopeful Griff will be a mid.

Aaron Sandilands
Lloyd Meek
Scott Jones

Sean Darcy
Michael Apeness

Key Defenders
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Shane Kersten

Matt Taberner
Luke Strnadica

It really is only imbalanced when you look at the number of players in a position.
When you look into the quality of those players, it's pretty easy to understand why we'd be chasing both. Taberner is what he is - won't ever be a 50 goal a year forward. Neither will Cox, who really should be played down back in a McGovern type role, which could even allow Hamling to play smaller. His set shot is awful.
Apeness is lucky to have got a year contract, Jones should never play again. Yet to see Meek or Strandica play but there is no evidence to say they'd be a good second ruckman.

I felt Dixon was agile enough to play as the 3rd forward. I am hopeful Griff will be a mid.
Think Huge has the agility for the 3rd tall but not the speed. If he had the speed, he probably would have gone in the first round.

You can hope all you like but I wouldn't be putting him in any serious depth list as a midfielder until he actually plays there and shows something.

It really is only imbalanced when you look at the number of players in a position.
When you look into the quality of those players, it's pretty easy to understand why we'd be chasing both. Taberner is what he is - won't ever be a 50 goal a year forward. Neither will Cox, who really should be played down back in a McGovern type role, which could even allow Hamling to play smaller. His set shot is awful.
Apeness is lucky to have got a year contract, Jones should never play again. Yet to see Meek or Strandica play but there is no evidence to say they'd be a good second ruckman.
That is half the issue, last year we drafted two rucks and both are very slow.

Do you think Lobb will be a 50 goal forward either?

I think Cox has a better chance myself.

That is half the issue, last year we drafted two rucks and both are very slow.

Do you think Lobb will be a 50 goal forward either?

I think Cox has a better chance myself.

No - I was talking about Hogan (if that happens). Lobb will be exactly what we need though as a second ruckman.

No - I was talking about Hogan (if that happens). Lobb will be exactly what we need though as a second ruckman.
So that means Taberner and Cox are not in the best 22.

Why do we have Beacon awards, if we just drop.

I agree with Hogan, he is a gun and if he is fit, you get him every day of the week.

It's only bad if you think we should be in contention now. We are clearly transitioning the entire list. I think it is only 2 years worth of delistings from looking good.

So that means Taberner and Cox are not in the best 22.

Why do we have Beacon awards, if we just drop.

I agree with Hogan, he is a gun and if he is fit, you get him every day of the week.

Taberner can still fit in a forwardline of Hogan and Lobb. Tabs is extremely average when he has to play in the ruck and we lose out big time. Lobb will be more than competitive.

Cox is still best 22 regardless - I just feel his better position would be down back.

I think we are counting our chickens. Lets see at the end of the draft to see what we end up with first. Cox is flexible. He can play everywhere maybe even mid. Before you say what?! I say why not? We all love to see The Big Cox go crash and bang...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taberner can still fit in a forwardline of Hogan and Lobb. Tabs is extremely average when he has to play in the ruck and we lose out big time. Lobb will be more than competitive.

Cox is still best 22 regardless - I just feel his better position would be down back.
Much easier to find defenders than forwards. Cox is statistically better at this point in his career than everyone in the league other than Buddy and Hogan. That includes, JJK, Lynch, Hawkins, Curnow etc. We have to see this through.

Aaron Sandilands
Lloyd Meek
Scott Jones
Sean Darcy
Michael Apeness

Key Defenders
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Shane Kersten

Matt Taberner
Luke Strnadica

Small\medium defenders

Luke Ryan
Nathan Wilson
Ryan Nyhuis
Taylin Duman

Brandon Matera
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne
Stefan Giro

Hugh Dixon
Cam McCarthy

Griffin Logue
David Mundy
Nat Fyfe
Connor Blakely
Ethan Hughes
Adam Cerra
Harley Bennell
Andrew Brayshaw
Tom North
Darcy Tucker
Stephen Hill
Ed Langdon
Brady Grey
Bradley Hill
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Lachie Neale
Mitchell Crowden
I agree the list unbalanced, but I do think it can be fixed the next second years.

2018/2019
  • Delist Luke Strnadica
  • Move Dixon to the back line
  • Trade Taberner if we get Hogan and Lobb
  • Trade Meek (late pick will be ok)
  • Trade Apeness (late pick will ok)
2019/2020
  • Delist Apeness
  • Delist Meek
  • Retire Sandilands

Aaron Sandilands
Lloyd Meek
Scott Jones
Sean Darcy
Michael Apeness

Key Defenders
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Shane Kersten

Matt Taberner
Luke Strnadica

Small\medium defenders

Luke Ryan
Nathan Wilson
Ryan Nyhuis
Taylin Duman

Brandon Matera
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne
Stefan Giro

Hugh Dixon
Cam McCarthy

Griffin Logue
David Mundy
Nat Fyfe
Connor Blakely
Ethan Hughes
Adam Cerra
Harley Bennell
Andrew Brayshaw
Tom North
Darcy Tucker
Stephen Hill
Ed Langdon
Brady Grey
Bradley Hill
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Lachie Neale
Mitchell Crowden

Thanks for this. I totally agree. It is a mess.

In hindsight the logue selection is a bit of a headscratcher. Still early days.

But just delist Apeness, Meek, Jones. That should balance the books.

Kersten is a list clogger. Replace him with GL.

Not all bad.

In hindsight the logue selection is a bit of a headscratcher. Still early days.

But just delist Apeness, Meek, Jones. That should balance the books.

Kersten is a list clogger. Replace him with GL.

Not all bad.

Logie Bear is a monster mate. Johnson retired, we only really have Pearce/Hamling for size down back. What happens when just one of them goes down? Logue coming in hot although he already plays before Kersten. This is also why I think Cox should be a Cale Hooker prototype. Everyone stream-lining the tall timber into the forward equation but what's going to happen if we have injuries down back? Cox goes down there. Multiple injuries then Kersten is the depth waiting to come in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back