Every game should be umpired like the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

peteau89

Melbourne
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Instead of bs rule changes a big part to reducing stoppages and making the game more exciting would be for the AFL to get the umpires to umpire every game the way they did in the Grand Final.. by letting it go and only paying deadset obvious or blatant frees.

Opinions?

Edit: This is what I meant by my original post. Frees that have no impact on play or could go either way should be let go. Frees that are obvious should be given. As long as it's consistent towards both teams.

Not sure why people are saying this idea is street rules.

Examples of what should be let go:
Incidental hands in the back that has no effect on contest
High tackles where player ducked
Split second holds
Accidentally brushing someone's shoulder

I'm sick of watching games where all these technicalities are paid. The Grand Final was a refreshing change.

I get the AFL is not likely going to change their stance, especially during the regular season, but they keep talking rule changes when half the problem is being too technical and to the book. It'd be a better spectacle if they just let more of it go.

Last edited:

if the free is there pay it.

This.
I think the interpretation, or wording, of some of the rules should be simplified, and some rules could probably be removed to know detriment to the game, but you cant just ignore rules for the good of the game.

The GF may have been fun to watch for neutrals, but the umpiring was shithouse, and inconsistent, towards both clubs. That is not an example of a well umpired game.

Agree with the OP, but it ain't ever gonna happen. Every week the AFL seem to have a "feature" rule and with limelight loving flogs like razor ray around, it's hard to see them adjudicating without wanting to put their fingerprints all over the game most weeks.

I know a lot of people have a problem with how the season is umpired and the GF, but i'm happy with it.

You can pay the technical ones or try to open the game up during the season. Protect the players etc. Too many rules are more the problem imo.

In the GF it's about the best team beating the next best. You throw everything at eachother and the best team comes up on top. Players either win the 50/50 or they don't, the umpires shouldn't decide.

It's a double standard that i'm more than comfortable with.

Instead of bs rule changes a big part to reducing stoppages and making the game more exciting would be for the AFL to get the umpires to umpire every game the way they did in the Grand Final.. by letting it go and only paying deadset obvious or blatant frees.

Couldn't agree more!

Opinions?
It's harder for the AFL to manipulate results if the umpires put their whistles away so I can't see it happening, they prefer the umpires to have an impact.

Absolutely spot on.

This.
I think the interpretation, or wording, of some of the rules should be simplified, and some rules could probably be removed to know detriment to the game, but you cant just ignore rules for the good of the game.

The GF may have been fun to watch for neutrals, but the umpiring was shithouse, and inconsistent, towards both clubs. That is not an example of a well umpired game.

Inconsistent to both...
So consistent.

Inconsistent to both...
So consistent.
And then you get a non decision like the last one which was no worse than any of the other non decisions in the GF and it is all that is talked about for the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then you get a non decision like the last one which was no worse than any of the other non decisions in the GF and it is all that is talked about for the week after.

Which I don't think was a free either but first quarter of round 1 2019 will be paid as the AFL wants umpires to manufacture goals.

Personally I would like every game umpired consistently, within games. That would be a start I would be happy with. What you would or wouldnt pay 2 minutes in the first quarter for a defender you should stand by that and be able to make that same call in the goal square with the forward and scores level in the last quarter. If the decision is correct once, its correct twice.

This.

Rubbish, it was the best umpired game all season

Which I don't think was a free either but first quarter of round 1 2019 will be paid as the AFL wants umpires to manufacture goals.
But the non-decision led to a goal?

Opinions?

So basically you believe the sport should be rule less as that’s how the GF was umpired.

Opinions?

I respect the idea behind this, but I think you'll find that if you "put the whistle away" players will push boundaries more and more, break more rules, and everyone gets frustrated.

I agree with Power Raid pay the fees that are there.

I used to like finals umpiring when they actually started out quite strict, to establish control of the game and let the players know cheating would not be tolerated. It must be remembered that cheating (holding, pushing, illegal tackles) are a way for players of lesser ability to nullify good players, and it is the brilliance of the good players that makes the game entertaining.

Pay them when they are there, especially early on. The players will then focus on playing fairly and you can probably ease up a little bit on technical ones that have no impact on play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back