Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Carlton with #71 for #43 & future 2nd round pick]

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Apparently his wages go up significantly next year. $400k +, horrendous contract whoever is responsible.

Lol. This is hilarious. Which AFL club right now has to approach its very own players and ask them to leave or explore leaving (Shiel, Lobbe, Finlayson, Setters) because they have over paid players. And you call us out.

Comedian.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Setterfield did his acl in between that.

That impacts his trade value.

Not GWS's fault they aren't getting pick 5 back for him.
Agreed

The medical which none of us will see will be critical. There has to be a risk recruiting an injured player, and it will be reflected in the trade price.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
No guarantee of that and you also want a contracted 2015 pick 5 in Setterfield, a young quality KPF in McGovern and are after an All Australian mid in Shiel. You can't have everything

We can and probably will. Also Setterfield was from 2016 draft, not 2015, GWS grabbed him from us via the new bidding rules at time. They got him when we wanted him and now finally get own man, a bit cheaper due to ACL injury. If Shiel nominates us we will use our future 1st round pick on him.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Jaksch and sumner are killing it in the VAFA
Jaksch was actually a good talent, apparently had an attitude problem but Bolton should've played him, think that was a mistake toget rid of him.
Sumner was spare parts in the trade and was worth his time.
Whiley was the only real miss and before Silvagni's time
many of the others are either good already or still have plenty of potential

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
He wouldn’t be on huge money and I’d imagine he is only going to get marginally more with Carlton than he would have with us. Probably appealing that he would get more game time initially with Carlton. Disappointed but far from the end of the world.

I do not think he will initially get games at Carlton. Remember he is coming off ACL injury, his career has not really started yet. Would probably play up to 10 games in VFL to ease him into being ready for the big jump. He might have been a gun youngster but he needs to play some football to have some form to merit get games at AFL level. This will not be like SPS where he got games straight away with no pre-season. We will have far more depth going into 2019 so no rush to get him into seniors straight away so we can afford to take our time getting his body right first. We are no premiership contender so why rush him into seniors? We will take our time with him, just like we have with Harry McKay.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No guarantee of that and you also want a contracted 2015 pick 5 in Setterfield, a young quality KPF in McGovern and are after an All Australian mid in Shiel. You can't have everything
why not? its not like its 3 AAs here. Setterfield has played 2 games ever. McGovern is being judged on potential as despite being mature age he's done nothing special stats wise.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Very impressed with reaction from most Bombers fans.

Congratulating Carlton and generally wishing Will back to fitness.

I hate praising anything Essendon but bigfooty is often a troll pissing contest, so it's refreshing to see good sportsmanship.

Bravo :clapping:
He would of been a nice addition but a 20 year old kid who is coming back from long time out of the game isn't going to improve us over the next 2 to 3 years.
We need impact now otherwise Hooker and Hurley will get too old.

All the best to Will, needs to look after himself financially and hopefully Russell can get him back on the park for all football fans to enjoy.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard Blues have offered 500k per year? I reckon that's wrong.
I read that the average AFL salary is $371,000.00.

I'd say as a high draft pick entering your third year (contract may have been negotiated prior to ACL), $400-$500k is about right.

Sounds like crazy money to you and I but it's barely above average for AFL.

P.s. I've assumed you're like me and are not some sporting star earning megabucks - if you are props to you.

parmy2balmey

stay moderated
Sep 15, 2016
under the bain marie
AFL Club
Richmond
It's pointing out the hypocrisy, or was that lost on you? Simple concept bucko.

hypocrisy lmao thread is about contracted gws player not Gold Coast free agent, ya get it. giants list management is appalling and they’re the gimp on the block. good for blues and the rest of us but their 10,000 fans should be getting shirty with their rabble football dept. apparently it’s all strategic though hahaha

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

I'd say as a high draft pick entering your third year (contract may have been negotiated prior to ACL), $400-$500k is about right.

P.s. I've assumed you're like me and are not some sporting star earning megabucks - if you are props to you.

Yeah fair enough I guess, I had a dream recently that I was Kylian Mbappe but that's it.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
hypocrisy lmao thread is about contracted gws player not Gold Coast free agent, ya get it. giants list management is appalling and they’re the gimp on the block. good for blues and the rest of us but their 10,000 fans should be getting shirty with their rabble football dept. apparently it’s all strategic though hahaha
And poaching the best player from GC? GWS at least are a dominant list...if you want to have sympathy, feel it for GC who have truly had their soul ripped out.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

It's still massively overpaying for someone who has proven and done nothing. Literally not in the top 500 AFL players and getting paid purely on potential. Clubs are simply being forced to do it though, especially GC and GWS.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I'd be a lot more concerned about the criticism if it came from someone who was functionally literate.

Back