Oppo Camp Carlton worst season in 122 years: The Evil of Patrick Cripps...

I love seeing Carlton lose

• Yes

Votes: 199 90.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 91 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they have a tosser off before the game they may not get out there until quarter time.

I honestly thought that promo was something we'd cooked up in here initially but apparently it's legit from Carlton. Nice.

Nah, the AFL did it. Just proof (as if any were needed) that they hate us as much as you guys do!

Nah, the AFL did it. Just proof (as if any were needed) that they hate us as much as you guys do!
So do you like the duel captains. I thought Cripps was a natural at it this season filling in.

So do you like the duel captains. I thought Cripps was a natural at it this season filling in.

Not hugely, to be honest. But this time last year, the Carlton faithful were saying Docherty was the obvious choice, with justification. Personally, I think any player coming back from a 12-month layoff is best served by concentrating on his own game. Saw it happen at Hawthorn in the 2017 pre-season, when Hodge handed over to Roughead despite Rough trying to return from a year out of the game with melanoma and chemotherapy... it didn't help anyone. Real leadership is realising when you need to continue, not just when to hand over and support your successor.

Yes, Cripps solo, for mine. Who do we think will be the next Collingwood captain?

Not hugely, to be honest. But this time last year, the Carlton faithful were saying Docherty was the obvious choice, with justification. Personally, I think any player coming back from a 12-month layoff is best served by concentrating on his own game. Saw it happen at Hawthorn in the 2017 pre-season, when Hodge handed over to Roughead despite Rough trying to return from a year out of the game with melanoma and chemotherapy... it didn't help anyone. Real leadership is realising when you need to continue, not just when to hand over and support your successor.

Yes, Cripps solo, for mine. Who do we think will be the next Collingwood captain?
That’s a good question, couple years ago it would have l don’t know, but now we seem to have a few who can do it, and do it well.
For me steel is the obvious one, but for others it could be Adams, Grundy, maybe Treloar, and even Howe right now, with others emerging we are in a good position going forward.
The more good ones you have the more it will drive the group forward.
Personally l agree, l would have left it with Cripps and concentrate on getting as many good v.c as possible to develop leadership and drive the playing group forward.

That's big time. I'm quietly fuming we didn't go for him.

One of our "in the know" posters has hinted that he approached us, which I can scarcely believe, although given that he was contracted, who knows. Another credited Brad Lloyd, the new head of our footy department; both suggested that contrary to obvious inference, Bolton was not involved. Probably a smokescreen though.

In any case, there's a limit to how precious the Hawks can be about it, given they were pretty happy to reclaim a contracted Sam Mitchell from the Eagles. Still, I hope Clarkson is punching holes in walls somewhere :D.

One of our "in the know" posters has hinted that he approached us, which I can scarcely believe, although given that he was contracted, who knows. Another credited Brad Lloyd, the new head of our footy department; both suggested that contrary to obvious inference, Bolton was not involved. Probably a smokescreen though.

In any case, there's a limit to how precious the Hawks can be about it, given they were pretty happy to reclaim a contracted Sam Mitchell from the Eagles. Still, I hope Clarkson is punching holes in walls somewhere :D.

Clarkson did say recently (after letting Ratten go) that it’s healthy for an organisation to have some staff turnover to keep things fresh and dynamic.

Nobody would be surprised if a top shelf recruit slipped into Hawthorn very soon.

So the good decision basically fell in your laps? How very Carlton. I was worried it was the beginning of the revival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson did say recently (after letting Ratten go) that it’s healthy for an organisation to have some staff turnover to keep things fresh and dynamic.

Nobody would be surprised if a top shelf recruit slipped into Hawthorn very soon.

Yes, this is true to an extent - Hawthorn do emphasise the facilitation of self-improvement, and although it does cost them staff taking up better/more senior roles elsewhere, their philosophy also draws quality replacements to the club, so they are able to manage change better than most. In reality, this is a probably a relatively small setback for them: they still hold considerable intellectual property in fitness/conditioning, Russell's understudy at Hawthorn has been in place for ~8 years or something, and I'm sure they'll manage just fine, while Russell drags our fitness/conditioning department into the 21st century.

But they definitely didn't want to lose him. Hawthorn posters that attended their B&F on Saturday evening said Isaac Smith with a few beers in him was the one who let the cat out of the bag, bidding Russell farewell and thanking him for everything during an acceptance speech right near the end. The way the Hawks posters tell it, it sucked the air out of the room. Clarkson's speech at the beginning of the night didn't mention Russell at all, or acknowledge the situation. Anger, denial, or both? I don't mind :D

... while Russell drags our fitness/conditioning department into the 21st century.

It wasn’t so long ago that you had one of the best fitness/conditioning experts in the AFL in Dr David Butterfant ... he revolutionisted the sport back around 2009 by using bench rotations to better manage player aerobic load. At Collingwood he was openly credited as being a big part of the success during that period including the 2010 Premiership, so much so that the AFL introduced a new rule to combat the effectiveness (interchange cap).

Sure, there is a degree of bitterness at Carlton about Malthouse, but you certainly did get a 21st century fitness/conditioning person during that period. Butters has only been gone, what barely 2 or 3 years? Surely your fitness/conditioning can’t have been dragged back into the dark ages since then?

But they definitely didn't want to lose him. Hawthorn posters that attended their B&F on Saturday evening said Isaac Smith with a few beers in him was the one who let the cat out of the bag, bidding Russell farewell and thanking him for everything during an acceptance speech right near the end. The way the Hawks posters tell it, it sucked the air out of the room. Clarkson's speech at the beginning of the night didn't mention Russell at all, or acknowledge the situation. Anger, denial, or both? I don't mind :D

Sportsman’s nights aren’t a great measure of what is happening internally at clubs.

No doubt Hawks posters/fans are disappointed ...

... but us punters usually have NFI about the implications of such things. I went to a couple of members’ functions at Collingwood where our Fitness/Conditioning coach at the time (Bill Daveron) gave excellent presentations about the state of things. They were in-depth, yet presented in layman’s terms that people could understand, and they addressed many of the concerns around Collingwood’s fitness/conditioning at the time. Us fans were in no way qualified to judge or dispute anything that he did or said, but that didn’t stop us from mercilessly pillory and ridiculing him during his time at Collingwood. If you ever want to undo all the goodwill you have on this board, ask us about Bill Daveron :D

And a post script to all that: Daveron was blamed for Collingwood’s terrible injury profile. That hasn’t really improved much since he left, it’s probably gotten even worse ... but our ability to cover for injuries has improved and we’ve been winning games, so no need for us to hunt for sacrificial lambs in the fitness/conditioning department ATM.

So in summary, yeah Carlton fans are probably feeling justifiably chuffed at picking up Russell. Carlton fans were feeling justifiably chuffed when they picked up Malthouse too. The reality of it all is that we have NFI about what these appointments mean until we see the results on the field.

Last edited:
It wasn’t so long ago that you had one of the best fitness/conditioning experts in the AFL in Dr David Butterfant ... he revolutionisted the sport back around 2009 by using bench rotations to better manage player aerobic load. At Collingwood he was openly credited as being a big part of the success during that period including the 2010 Premiership, so much so that the AFL introduced a new rule to combat the effectiveness (interchange cap).

Sure, there is a degree of bitterness at Carlton about Malthouse, but you certainly did get a 21st century fitness/conditioning person during that period. Butters has only been gone, what barely 2 or 3 years? Surely your fitness/conditioning can’t have been dragged back into the dark ages since then?

Sportsman’s nights aren’t a great measure of what is happening internally at clubs.

No doubt Hawks posters/fans are disappointed ...

... but us punters usually have NFI about the implications of such things. I went to a couple of members’ functions at Collingwood where our Fitness/Conditioning coach at the time gave excellent presentations about the state of things. They were in-depth, yet presented in layman’s terms that people could understand, and they addressed many of the concerns around Collingwood’s fitness/conditioning at the time. Us fans were in no way qualified to judge or dispute anything that he did or said, but that didn’t stop us from mercilessly pillory and ridiculing him during his time at Collingwood. If you ever want to undo all the goodwill you have on this board, ask us about Bill Daveron :D

And a post script to all that: Daveron has blamed for Collingwood’s terrible injury profile. That hasn’t really improved much since he left, it’s probably gotten even worse ... but our ability to cover for injuries has improved and we’ve been winning games, so no need for us to hunt for sacrificial lambs in the fitness/conditioning department ATM.

So in summary, yeah Carlton fans are probably feeling justifiably chuffed at picking up Russell. Carlton fans were feeling justifiably chuffed when they picked up Malthouse too. The reality of it all is that we have NFI about what these appointments mean until we see the results on the field.
Great post.

Carlton do have Daisy Thomas.
So they must be good.
:p

Have avoided this thread for a while. Felt a bit guilty at constantly sinking the boot in, and we were playing finals and I was worried about karma, then the GF came along and hubris and all that.

But stuff it, the thread is hilarious and the thread titles are a sight to behold.

Carlton continue to make the wrong choices. Two captains? Robert 'I'd rather be in France' Walls?

But I'm annoyed, maybe even a bit worried, that they landed the big fish from Hawthorn. Hope this is not the start of some sort of renaissance, a return to good decision making, and a well run club. The footy gods couldn't be that unkind to us - surely? A losing GF and an improving Carlton.

Please noooooo

I hate dual captains. It’s like your saying 2 gives us more chance of having 1 good 1

Apart from parenthood, there is no forum where shared responsibility / authority in operational matters is in any way effective.

Let’s see if they continue with this shared Captains thing in 2020. Pretty sure they won’t.

Good to see the carlton flogs keeping us entertained. Apparently shiel was in the bag?? Would seem they weren't even his 2nd pick. The idiots spent 50K flying him to noosa , he enjoyed the holiday in the sun and then promt;ly informed over the weekend he wasn't interested. Gold. Even better some of them are saying he really wanted to get to carlton but carlton wouldn't trade pick 1 so "they let him start discussions with essendon". How delusional are they? Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back