Opinion Port's ruck strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

If Ryder is fit to play 80% of our games for 80% of those games, trengove would be a better fit

if Ryder's fitness is a risk, Lycett would be the perfect fit whilst we rebuild and wait for Hayes, Ladhams or Frampton to develop or recruit a better ruck
If there is a spot for Trengove in defence - which there isn't - Trengove would be better. Playing the ruck/forward role, then Lycett is better. No matter how much Ryder plays.

If there is a spot for Trengove in defence - which there isn't - Trengove would be better. Playing the ruck/forward role, then Lycett is better. No matter how much Ryder plays.

both useless as forwards

My issue isn't getting Lycett, it's the 5 year Lobbe list clogging repeat that concerns me. Especially given our premiership window is not open, we should be turning over and developing guys until it does.

So Lycett is now entering his prime as a ruckman agewise. He has had arguably the best development possible being up against nic Nat at training. He also played bloody well in finals.

He is passionate about our club, and his 'fire the lads up' attitude, could be a breathe of fresh air in the change rooms.

He will bring dual ruck intel, along with WCE game style, which won the recent flag.

So, on the surface he is not in the Ryder,Gawn,Grundy,NicNat category. Rather he is the next rung down Martin, the old Jacobs, Goldstein, etc.

So, I think it's great.

This gives Billy F, Hayes - 3/4 years to build their bodies up, they will undoubtedly get games with injuries and Paddy retirement, but for the first time in ages our ruck stocks look complete.

Well done - Go Scotty

So Lycett is now entering his prime as a ruckman agewise. He has had arguably the best development possible being up against nic Nat at training. He also played bloody well in finals.

He is passionate about our club, and his 'fire the lads up' attitude, could be a breathe of fresh air in the change rooms.

He will bring dual ruck intel, along with WCE game style, which won the recent flag.

So, on the surface he is not in the Ryder,Gawn,Grundy,NicNat category. Rather he is the next rung down Martin, the old Jacobs, Goldstein, etc.

So, I think it's great.

This gives Billy F, Hayes - 3/4 years to build their bodies up, they will undoubtedly get games with injuries and Paddy retirement, but for the first time in ages our ruck stocks look complete.

Well done - Go Scotty
I think you will be mistaken if you think Billy will want to be padding around in the 2s for another 3/4 years.
His best bet now is to understudy Dixon, who must have some question marks on his longevity after his injury. Reckon Dixon has 2 years in him and he will be well past his peak at that point.
Hayes- maybe 3/4 years of development is OK, but surely we want him to have played~20 or so games before Ryder retires, to give us continuity. Again, that's probably over the 2 years Ryder has left in him.

Sure there is more than one way to skin a cat and Richmond developed a plan when they lost Ben Griffiths last year with concussion issues and decided to go small forward line and only 1 ruck and got away with BS of playing Grigg or another 185cm player as a second ruck.

17 clubs stupidly, in 2017 played into Richmond's hand and the same this year, until Grundy and to a lesser extent Cox last week said we aren't going to let Richmond get away with this BS.

I have written before that when Ryder is being dominate and with his leap, he should do a Babe Ruth, point where he is going to hit the ball at centre bounce, send Robbie or one of our other mids 10-15m forward of the centre circle and belt the ball straight down his throat and test out if a defender goes and stands the mid or plays russian roulette and stays back so its 2 v 3 at ground level inside the centre circle.

But Paddy jumps high, gets his hands to the ball first and does these little deft taps backwards or slightly forward, and if our mids get it first, usually they are set upon by the oppo and especially by Richmond mids, as its so easy to read what he is going to do. Paddy very very very rarely mixes it up at centre bounces.

Watch last years grand final and when Jacobs was up against Grigg, instead of belting the ball forward 20-30m to break things up, he went a nice little tap to Crouch, or Sloane, or Dougas etc and the Richmond mids were all over the crows player like a fat kid is on to a finger bun. There was no thinking, no trying to change things, no trying to upset Richmond's plans. Like a crowbot Jacobs was programmed to do the same thing over and over and over. But so were many other ruckmen the 3-4 months leading up to the 2017 GF.

Grundy in the PF was obviously instructed, when Grigg rucks, smash the bloody ball forward, so that if he doesn't jump its not 3 onto 4 on the ground. He did it a dozen times and most times Collingwood took the ball away as the ball was moving forward towards their goal and they were set up for it. But more importantly he had a mind set so that if he out jumped Nankervis to also do it and not let those manic Richmond mids an easy attack on the collingwood mids.

It has been hard for me to watch and believe so many head coaches who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and assistants a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year, plus all the video and football analysts clubs employ and they missed the bleeding obvious for well over 12 months and let Richmond get away with such a BS strategy. Well it was bleeding obvious to me anyway.
I was screaming out during the Essendon game that Paddy needed to channel a Greg Phillips fist that I remember seeing a lot at boundary throw ins when I was a kid. Gray at HF run in off the sq for 5m then turn his man inside out and hopefully run onto the ball heading towards goal.
Can’t believe it wasn’t tried.

both useless as forwards

My issue isn't getting Lycett, it's the 5 year Lobbe list clogging repeat that concerns me. Especially given our premiership window is not open, we should be turning over and developing guys until it does.
Lycett >>>>>> Lobbe

I think you will be mistaken if you think Billy will want to be padding around in the 2s for another 3/4 years.
His best bet now is to understudy Dixon, who must have some question marks on his longevity after his injury. Reckon Dixon has 2 years in him and he will be well past his peak at that point.
Hayes- maybe 3/4 years of development is OK, but surely we want him to have played~20 or so games before Ryder retires, to give us continuity. Again, that's probably over the 2 years Ryder has left in him.
Nah.. I agree that Billy could also be more like a marking forward type and take over from Dixon.

Who knows who else we may recruit though - Mead/Luko? Also with Marshall coming through.

Shyt in 5 years from now Westy might still be playing...

Time to talk actual strategy not me whinging about hopeless list management issues. Ruck rules have changed

Scott Lycett - time to become the new Matthew Primus. Turn back the clock to 2001-02 era.

Paddy Ryder - time to use that athleticism advantage, grab the ball and run from ball ins and throw ups.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019
Ruck contests: prior opportunity
  • A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

The dumb thing about this rule change was that ruckman became scared to grab the ball because if the oppo sweated on them and all they did was grab the jumper, didnt even have to stop the player disposing the ball the umpires were instructed to pay holding the ball. Taken the AFL 15 years to ****en wake up.

So Paddy now uses his athleticism grabs the ball as he runs in for the throw in and beats logs like Jacobs and Goldstein and runs away from them and sets himself up to kick or raise his arms to get a handball away. He doesn't have to worry about someone tugging at his jumper and being called holding the ball.

If Slyce it, Slyce it good, is good at nullifying, then grabbing the ball at centre bounces gives him another arrow to his quiver to improve his nullifying skills. Use that brute strength he possess like Primus used it.

Tomorrow we should be recruiting a part time ruck coach like Brogan who played under both sets of rules and would have studied Primus up close and personal, and get him to start working on ruck strategies around the new rules for different scenarios for all our ruckmen. Start straight away to take advantage of this change, not get caught out like at the start of 2016 when with the reduction in rotations and when the sub was removed and 90 rotations introduced.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to talk actual strategy not me whinging about hopeless list management issues. Ruck rules have changed

Scott Lycett - time to become the new Matthew Primus. Turn back the clock to 2001-02 era.

Paddy Ryder - time to use that athleticism advantage, grab the ball and run from ball ins and throw ups.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019
Ruck contests: prior opportunity
  • A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

The dumb thing about this rule change was that ruckman became scared to grab the ball because if the oppo sweated on them and all they did was grab the jumper, didnt even have to stop the player sisposing the ball the umpires were instructed to pay holding the ball. Taken the AFL 15 years to ****en wake up.

So Paddy now uses his athleticism grabs the ball as he runs in for the throw in and beats logs like Jacobs and Goldstein and runs away from them and sets himself up to kick or raise his arms to get a handball away. He doesn't have to worry about someone tugging at his jumper and being called holding the ball.

If Slyce it, Slyce it good, is good at nullifying, then grabbing the ball at centre bounces gives him another arrow to his quiver to improve his nullifying skills. Use that brute strength he possess like Primus used it.

Tomorrow we should be recruiting a part time ruck coach like Brogan who played under both sets of rules and would have studied Primus up close and personal, and get him to start working on ruck strategies around the new rules for different scenarios for all our ruckmen. Start straight away to take advantage of this change, not get caught out like at the start of 2016 when with the reduction in rotations and when the sub was removed and 90 rotations introduced.
Great this has come now Paddy is near the end. Ports.

Not enough love for Scotty yet. Get around him! Stuff a ruck strategy. New ruck strategy can be just smash into the other bloke for half the game and let Ryder do his thing.

How's it feel having two best 22 rucks better than Sam Jacobs, my teal buddies??

Also, I think I might've accidentally been traded here too as a consequence of being Lycett's biggest fan, at least until the year ends. Fine print and all that. I'll just fish for likes 'til it's my time to leave.

Not enough love for Scotty yet. Get around him! Stuff a ruck strategy. New ruck strategy can be just smash into the other bloke for half the game and let Ryder do his thing.

How's it feel having two best 22 rucks better than Sam Jacobs, my teal buddies??

Also, I think I might've accidentally been traded here too as a consequence of being Lycett's biggest fan, at least until the year ends. Fine print and all that. I'll just fish for likes 'til it's my time to leave.
Lycett love is in here.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-back-to-port-adelaide-scott-lycett.1206786/page-17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back