Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need the "Chad Wingard requests trade to Bulldogs" article to come out so badly. Come on Chad, request that trade buddy.

Chad's announcement will not be today. he wouldn't want to be overshadowed by Shiel. Give it a couple of days... Patience :)

'What's happened to them'!!
It didn't happen to them... They did it to themselves, they f$%king cheated and a year or 2 later get a #1 draft pick and somehow they are pulling the wool over players eyes and getting them to play for them. They are a f%&*king disgrace.
It actually makes me feel sick even talking about them - I hate them so much it's unhealthy.

They cheated and played the victim when they were punished. They deserve to be forever tarnished just because they never owned up to what they did and took their medicine. People acted like Jobe Watson was courageous when he handed back his brownlow when he ate up as much time as possible and only handed it back when it was made clear that he was being stripped of it.

How is that? They needed a hard at midfielder, and Shiel isn't that
They started off the year extremely poorly with new players but clicked into gear in the second half of the year. They finished off the year 11-3 with their only losses coming against Richmond x2 and Collingwood. They have a good list.

Mercenary? By all reports he has taken seriously less cash to go to Essendon compared to say a Carlton or St. Kilda.
'by reports' yes what we are suppose to believe.
By reports Hurley rejected us at close to a 1M a year.
By reports all the other players that were leaving after the Doping scandal stayed too.

If Shiel wasn't a mercenary, he'd stay for less at GWS, pick a side that will seriously challenge or one that better suited his style of play.

This something you've heard or just going by the talk being thrown about?

Bit of both, although seems their clubs are happy to test the market rather than openly advertising the fact through the media - and, of course, it ends up in the media and on forums like this anyway. But it's a bit like "purple monkey dishwasher" after it gets repeated often enough.

We'll probably have to just agree to disagree...

The contract doesn't really commit you in the AFL anymore, all it takes is a trade request and 95% of the time, the player will get their wish to move elsewhere and the club will get compensated.

Of course he considered the kids when he nominated. He made his wishes of staying in WA clear. Geelong traded ahead of the Eagles in the 2nd round intentionally to move him over and try and convince him to stay, however it didn't work out. He wanted to be an AFL footballer, however wanted to stay in his home state. That's fine, you take a risk and better hope you're worth it, limiting your earning ability etc by doing that, but he backed himself in. A player is allowed to request to go home if they don't settle in another state, it's not that big of a deal especially if he made this known in advance and the Cats still rolled the dice. If he half assed it this year or refused to move over to Geelong etc when drafted, that's one thing, but he gave them a great season and did what he was asked to. Now at the appropriate time he has made a reasonable request to go home.

Are you questioning if he is actually homesick? Of course he is. He has the option to nominate the club he wants to go to, his manager hasn't said "He will only be playing for the Eagles in 2019 or nothing". He has worked out a contract / arrangement with a club, but if the Eagles can't get the deal done, I bet they would work something out if required with the Dockers too to make sure he is in WA next year. He won't need to though, he's nominated his club like most players do and will get there.

He'll he playing for the Eagles in 2019 and this will happen many, many more times in the future.
I agree with you, but you are wrong regarding the Dockers. His manager has come out and said he will not be going to the Dockers. It is WC he wants, where he was supposed to go in his draft year. Some can claim because they won the premiership, but another might say had Geelong not pulled their crap he might actually be a premiership player now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd one with Shiel, you’d think he’d on much less taking the bombers deal and not Carlton’s. Doubt there’s much room in that Essendon salary cap.

They started off the year extremely poorly with new players but clicked into gear in the second half of the year. They finished off the year 11-3 with their only losses coming against Richmond x2 and Collingwood. They have a good list.
Maybe the 1st half was a better indication of they are really like, easier to perform when finals are almost out of equation.
Made finals in 2017 on top of a soft draw from finishing last. On top of lacking inside grunt, their ruck stocks are poor. They are over loaded with tall key forwards and their style of play has little to no defence about it.

Add that to the fact the club and supporters still think they did nothing wrong.

BTW. They also lost to Hawthorn in late in the year. Yes they beat an injured WC in WA but the rest wasn't much chop
I seriously hope that think they are a top 4 list because they are certain to disappoint.

Last edited:
Bit of both, although seems their clubs are happy to test the market rather than openly advertising the fact through the media - and, of course, it ends up in the media and on forums like this anyway. But it's a bit like "purple monkey dishwasher" after it gets repeated often enough.

Wow where can I get one of these purple monkey dishwashers?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with you, but you are wrong regarding the Dockers. His manager has come out and said he will not be going to the Dockers. It is WC he wants, where he was supposed to go in his draft year. Some can claim because they won the premiership, but another might say had Geelong not pulled their crap he might actually be a premiership player now.

Supposed to go in the draft?

Sorry I wasn’t aware there were rules as to where players had to go?

He wants to go home it’s Geelongs right to get the best deal for him it’s as simple as that.

You can’t pull the “I want to go home” card and then dictate where and how.

All davies’ quotes just confirm my thoughts, that port want him out, and are just waiting for the right offer.

I don't think pick 7 on its own will be the right offer, but given Wingard has to have some say in his destination, the right offer combination will be interesting in its final form, depending who he nominatesto to make the righ offer. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back