Hampden league season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking more playing coach - Scholl, Hinkley, Thomas, Turner, Kol, without going back to the 70's and earlier.

I was thinking more playing coach - Scholl, Hinkley, Thomas, Turner, Kol, without going back to the 70's and earlier.
That's good question Blythe...without too much thought it might create a lack of parity...let's say it is a 160K cap for all clubs and your club is fortunate enough to sign a gun playing coach- I'm not sure you can pay him with funds not connected to the 160....This system may well sound the death knell of the non playing coach...

As pointed out, I'm not sure if many of the 10 clubs outside the Port Fairy Folk Festival seagulls can even generate that sort of coin over a prolonged period (BTW good luck to them having this revenue stream!) Is it definitely coming in?

Old ground here and not the end of the world, but the Reid oval on Grand Final day was a disgrace...I'm not in any way pointing finger at WFNC...this is a council obligation...but how hard is it to cut the grass? South Rovers ground next door looked like carpet in comparison!!! Recent trips to Colac, Geelong, Ararat and Ballarat and seeing their oval and facilities make it even worse. Can't wait to see Warrnambool and HFNL with a ground it deserves...We had visitors down from Geelong and it was embarrassing really...Their comments ranged from that you actually you couldn't even hear the siren and they were pissing themselves as the MC asked patrons to clear the oval to welcome Koroit onto the Reid...they a had already been out there for 5 minutes...we just smiled and said we are used to this...but what a cluster &^%$

Agree Caritas - it is a disgrace that a city the size of Warrnambool cannot have a decent playing surface. The council hasn't seemed to put any focus into any of the ovals. I remember seeing some soccer pitches over in Adelaide that were worse than Reid oval but the Adelaide oval curator (forget his name Les ????) got to them and in no time they were pristine without any major renovation. (top dressing and plenty of fertiliser)

Agree Caritas - it is a disgrace that a city the size of Warrnambool cannot have a decent playing surface. The council hasn't seemed to put any focus into any of the ovals. I remember seeing some soccer pitches over in Adelaide that were worse than Reid oval but the Adelaide oval curator (forget his name Les ????) got to them and in no time they were pristine without any major renovation. (top dressing and plenty of fertiliser)
Burdett

3 clubs are still yet to appoint coaches for season 2019, Souths, Portland and Camperdown. Does anyone have any updates on it? Bucky has gone back to Koroit as an assistant, as reported in the Standard.

That's him. Perhaps the Warrnambool City Council were highlighting the disgraceful ground condition to aid their quest for a sizeable grant? I guess that is being a bit genius on the WCC - not sure they are capable of that lateral thinking. At the end of the day it should never have got to this stage - the council have managed to find sizeable amounts of money for sorts of other wonderful causes.
I have to say Buck handled himself very well in the Standard interview - he could have poured a bucket on the southerners but chose not to do so. Good to see him back coaching, he will be an asset to Koroit not that they need any help.

Former Maskell Medallist ruckman Rhys Raymond is a whisper be returning to Hampden League next season with reigning premiers Koroit. Could he still match it with the best in the seniors?

Former Maskell Medallist ruckman Rhys Raymond is a whisper be returning to Hampden League next season with reigning premiers Koroit. Could he still match it with the best in the seniors?
Doubt he could cut it in the Hampden League anymore - not sure he would have the work ethic for it.

Actually agree with you there boys, but Koroit has a good record of getting blokes with question marks surrounding them up and about ... Michael Darmody got fit for the first time in his career at Koroit for 2 years and lots of people said taking Todd McLean back was a mistake...he was probably their best player in finals series and is all kinds of healthy now just to name 2. But peer group pressure, both negative and positive is a powerful force. Time will tell

Hurts to say it but looks like Darcy Graham will be heading away from the Blues camp this season and off to sunny Noosa. Big loss for us as we are steadily finding our way back into the top end of the ladder. Have heard there is another good signing on the way possibly vfl level talent. No names yet tho!

Actually agree with you there boys, but Koroit has a good record of getting blokes with question marks surrounding them up and about ... Michael Darmody got fit for the first time in his career at Koroit for 2 years and lots of people said taking Todd McLean back was a mistake...he was probably their best player in finals series and is all kinds of healthy now just to name 2. But peer group pressure, both negative and positive is a powerful force. Time will tell

Agree with the sentiment of it! And Koroit proving they can recycle well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Caritas, but the ability to turn Todds lifestyle off the ground was probably Koroits best effort. Kudos to them for it.

Agree Caritas, but the ability to turn Todds lifestyle off the ground was probably Koroits best effort. Kudos to them for it.
Spot on mate...we love our footy but way bigger issues at play here... but this does serve as a reminder of the power for good that sporting clubs have. It is not too big a stretch to say they can save lives ...Ultimately people have to help themselves but when a combination of genuine friendship/support, tough love and self motivation are in place, anything is possible. Easily the best news story out of Vic park in 2018.

Speaking of Vic Park, my sources a say one of the background boys at Koroit has been trying to hit up Bega (taken over M.Goulburn) to see if they can get naming rights for their oval. My understanding is that they cant change it from Vic park (Council etc) but are trying to brand the Oval as Bega Oval at Victoria park. A revenue stream etc...their application was rejected but not sure they are done yet...no harm in asking i suppose

Hurts to say it but looks like Darcy Graham will be heading away from the Blues camp this season and off to sunny Noosa. Big loss for us as we are steadily finding our way back into the top end of the ladder. Have heard there is another good signing on the way possibly vfl level talent. No names yet tho!

Looks like Phil Carse hasn't wasted any time..Darcy G from Blues and Blair McCutcheon from saints is the word

Caritas / Blythe have you heard that Matthew Battistello is firming as new coach of South Warrnambool? Former Lake Wendouree coach and most recently U/18 Vic Country coach. I didn’t think he would be likely to be the one but according to a couple of people recently he seems to be the named most linked. I’m not sure how true.

Caritas / Blythe have you heard that Matthew Battistello is firming as new coach of South Warrnambool? Former Lake Wendouree coach and most recently U/18 Vic Country coach. I didn’t think he would be likely to be the one but according to a couple of people recently he seems to be the named most linked. I’m not sure how true.

100% correct...again mate!! I didn't post as thought it was already out there...

Interested in your thoughts boys...word is that HFNL is talking about tapping Koroit on the shoulder and telling them they will get a reduction in player points!! Possibly to 28...Imagine that? I'm 100% for an even, strong comp (who wants to watch s&^%* footy?) and i personally would love to see the Portlands and Hamiltons of the league push for the ultimate prize, but when A TEAM has does everything within the rules eg 30 points and is then penalised because of its success, it makes a mockery of the system. My understanding was that the system was introduced to ensure clubs didn't recruit in excess so as to give them an unfair advantage. I'm no legal eagle but I'm not sure you can change the parameters or regulations retrospectively? Be assured I would be saying the same if this was imposed on Warrnambool/South etc..it just doesn't make any sense and is a sad state of affairs when governing bodies try and orchestrate success, it just doesn't work...nothing official yet, but watch this space.

My thoughts - it should be a level playing field for all (except Port Fairy :() It would be a disgrace to penalise a club for being successful. Be astounded if the VCFL implemented it. The HFNL ?? - well that's another story.

cheers Blythe..a text from a mate suggest there actually is a clause in AFL vic policy that gives governing leagues the autonomy to reduce points based on "sustained success" etc...as Tony Leonard said ...now that is opening a pandoras box of worms!!

gotta laugh!

That's the spirit Caritas - let's lower the bar so everyone can step over it. Let's reward mediocrity. What's next make Koroit play with 16 men? Has the Wimmera F.L got points - because if they do Horsham would be crap#ing themselves?

I don’t think any side in the Hampden league would even want that to happen. All clubs just want it to be as even as possible not have successful clubs penalized for winning. Can’t see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back