Oppo Camp Carlton worst season in 122 years: The Evil of Patrick Cripps...

I love seeing Carlton lose

• Yes

Votes: 199 90.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 91 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Head to the Carltank thread to see them melt about not getting Shield. LOL this is amazing. One post said Shield chose the Bombers and now won't be apart of a team playing finals. This just gets better.
Essendon will play finals 2019.
Lock it in.
Carlton will play finals in 2099.
Lock it in!

Apart from parenthood, there is no forum where shared responsibility / authority in operational matters is in any way effective.

Let’s see if they continue with this shared Captains thing in 2020. Pretty sure they won’t.
I don't think they are looking at shared responsibility/authority. I think they are looking more towards sharing the blame!!

Good get. Dylan Shiel approves!

You’re better off without him.

Carlton should probably avoid another Chris Judd situation where they blow a huge part of their salary cap on trading in one superstar player, and then can’t afford to surround him with the players needed to become a successful team.

I think everyone has got things back to front tbh.

The Shiel trip to Noosa was never about Carlton trying to impress Shiel. It was about Carlton trying to impress Bruce Mathieson and therein lies the problem with the whole football club.

<lots of sensible stuff>

Yes, without going into too much detail - substantially agree all point.

I did not mean to impugn Buttifant and his predecessors in our fitness/conditioning department - poor choice of words on my part. I suspect very little Malthouse-era IP has been retained by our football department, which underlines the importance of change management and continuity in support structures, particularly if you sack the senior coach.

I also think the importance of these guys varies according to environment; in his two years at Carlton, all Buttifant had to work with was our 2014 and 2015 lists, which were pretty much the bottom of the barrel in terms of AFL-quality talent (2018 included). He could have been six kinds of magician without actually adding to our win tally.

And they are definitely on a hiding to nothing at times, like poor Davoren (enjoyed your thoughts! :thumbsu:) and our own recently-departed Joel Hocking. Especially if/when, for all the virtuousness you hear in the media about separation of powers, these guys are copping heavy pressure from the coaching group at selection. Particularly when the wins aren't coming... "Player X is pretty much recovered, isn't he... we need to select him this week..."...

So yeah, Russell is not going to miraculously solve all our fitness issues, although he will have the gravitas/authority to push back against the selection of unfit players, which will be a change and an improvement. But as you say, the on-field results need to come in 2019 - there is really no other currency that matters.

Carlton should probably avoid another Chris Judd situation where they blow a huge part of their salary cap on trading in one superstar player, and then can’t afford to surround him with the players needed to become a successful team.
But that’s the gift, in a plain brown paper bag, that keeps on giving.

We've got the reverse problem at the moment though, we're struggling to reach the salary cap floor (which is a ridiculous thing to have, anyway). We paid 42 senior players last year (including two who weren't even on our 2018 list!), and we still couldn't reach 95% of the total player payment threshold. Makes sense, when you think about it, any list that can only muster two wins doesn't deserve much coin... but the AFL mandates you have to pay it anyway :drunk:.

We already have Cripps and Charlie Curnow front-loaded to buggery, plus salary dumps from GWS and Port, and if you can't bring in the big-money recruits, you have to get pretty creative with the money you must spend. North must have a similar problem, I reckon. Even worse, with Gaff staying put! Saints too.

We've got the reverse problem at the moment though, we're struggling to reach the salary cap floor (which is a ridiculous thing to have, anyway). We paid 42 senior players last year (including two who weren't even on our 2018 list!), and we still couldn't reach 95% of the total player payment threshold. Makes sense, when you think about it, any list that can only muster two wins doesn't deserve much coin... but the AFL mandates you have to pay it anyway :drunk:.

We already have Cripps and Charlie Curnow front-loaded to buggery, plus salary dumps from GWS and Port, and if you can't bring in the big-money recruits, you have to get pretty creative with the money you must spend. North must have a similar problem, I reckon. Even worse, with Gaff staying put! Saints too.
I agree with you & I feel dirty.

I don't understand a minimum spend, why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you & I feel dirty.

I don't understand a minimum spend, why?

AFL Players Association driven, also part of the Enterprise Bargaining Agreement, I think. I guess everyone would agree with the proposition that the playing body as a whole is more deserving of its share of the game's revenue than the coffers at AFL House... but I think the application of this principle to the salary-cap is broken at the moment, because the AFL is not a marketplace for economic rationalists. Not many players choose money over success... yet the salary-cap structure assumes they will.

Not sure why on earth Carlton would think that a private jet trip to Noosa would impress Shiel?

The young man wants to win a premiership not be sucked-up-to by a bunch of avaricious liniment sniffers.

What total w***ers.

P.S. Tuesday hugs xox

Aw, appreciate that ;). Can't lie, disappointing day for sure. Maybe not "Maynard-was-blocked/Sheed-played-on/He's-not-going-to-kick-it-from there-is-he?" disappointing, but not great...

Private jet was a point of difference, nothing more or less. Coming off a two-win season, you need all the distractions you can muster. Plus, while the Hawks were looking at the plane and wondering how it would affect their own chances with Shiel, we snuck in and poached Andrew Russell, so it was all good!

Had the chance to land Shiel by sorting out a deal with GWS, and should have got it done. The club has talked about midfield support for Cripps, and the age structure of our list: Shiel is A-grade, and not terminally frightened by our on-field record, so we should have signed him up. If that meant trading #1 for Shiel, Setterfield and #14 (or something like that), get it done... The proof will be in the pudding, I guess: no-one knows what Essendon will actually pay, but it sounds like a Treloar-type price, and that might be a bit high, because he's older than Treloar was. But if Essendon win a flag with him on board, the price won't matter.

So we paid overs for McGovern instead. In detail, the deal is not as bad as it looks, but the Crows have been dying to punch us in the face in the wake of the protracted Gibbs trade, and they probably landed one today :(. At least it's over and done with; he'd better be a good player, that's all I can say.

AFL Players Association driven, also part of the Enterprise Bargaining Agreement, I think.

+ AFL effectively pays all clubs salary caps out of the broadcast agreement distributions. The AFL and the broadcasters want to get their money’s worth with a competition that is fair and of high standard, therefore they expect all clubs to spend (almost) all the money they’re given.

... but I think the application of this principle to the salary-cap is broken at the moment, because the AFL is not a marketplace for economic rationalists. Not many players choose money over success... yet the salary-cap structure assumes they will.

Looking at it a different way ...

... Carlton are offering the opportunity for young and ambitious players to work hard to help return a proud club back to glory. And to be paid handsomely to do it. That shouldn’t be a hard sell?

McGovern was a good pick up, they paid a bit but if you want quality you have to give something decent in return

... but us punters usually have NFI about the implications of such things. I went to a couple of members’ functions at Collingwood where our Fitness/Conditioning coach at the time (Bill Daveron) gave excellent presentations about the state of things. They were in-depth, yet presented in layman’s terms that people could understand, and they addressed many of the concerns around Collingwood’s fitness/conditioning at the time. Us fans were in no way qualified to judge or dispute anything that he did or said, but that didn’t stop us from mercilessly pillory and ridiculing him during his time at Collingwood. If you ever want to undo all the goodwill you have on this board, ask us about Bill Daveron :D

And a post script to all that: Daveron was blamed for Collingwood’s terrible injury profile. That hasn’t really improved much since he left, it’s probably gotten even worse ... but our ability to cover for injuries has improved and we’ve been winning games, so no need for us to hunt for sacrificial lambs in the fitness/conditioning department ATM.

I still believe our fitness, conditioning and medical departments are the single biggest area in need of improvement in the football department. I hope the scrutiny is maintained until our injury profile is better.

Not sure why on earth Carlton would think that a private jet trip to Noosa would impress Shiel?

Not just any private jet ...

... but a private jet with his manager Paul Conners, Brendan Bolton, Brad Lloyd (Football boss), SOS, and board members Chris Judd and Bruce Matheson.

Shiel was trapped on a five hour return flight plus romantic walks along the beach with six crusty old men out on a junket. Gee, that must have been a real hoot! Tell me that’s not every 25 year old lad’s dream.

Gee, I wonder why he didn’t sign?? :rolleyes:

Poor execution by Carlton and illustrates their endemic problems.

And Noosa? How cliche is that?? It’s where you take a girl to impress her, not a footy player who is already earning north of half a $million a year.

How about something a little more classy and a little less creepy ...

... leave Matheson + Lloyd behind (WTF were they doing there in the first place?). Have Connors + SOS + Bolton + Judd and ...

... Docherty + Cripps + Shiel + a fourth player (Setterfield? McGovern? Existing Carlton player in leadership group?), pack the golf clubs and head down to Flinders or King Island, have the oldies and the young lads each form a group of four to play a round, and afterwards come together to have a decent feed with something interesting from the cellar. Make sure Docherty, Cripps, Judd and Bolton know how carry themselves properly - maybe have Jeanie Pratt give them a few deportment lessons beforehand.

The young man wants to win a premiership not be sucked-up-to by a bunch of avaricious liniment sniffers.

Carlton do have to work within their limits.

Not just any private jet ...

... but a private jet with his manager Paul Conners, Brendan Bolton, Brad Lloyd (Football boss), SOS, and board members Chris Judd and Bruce Matheson.

Shiel was trapped on a five hour return flight plus romantic walks along the beach with six crusty old men out on a junket. Gee, that must have been a real hoot! Tell me that’s not every 25 year old lad’s dream.

Gee, I wonder why he didn’t sign?? :rolleyes:

Poor execution by Carlton and illustrates their endemic problems.

And Noosa? How cliche is that?? It’s where you take a girl to impress her, not a footy player who is already earning north of half a $million a year.

How about something a little more classy and a little less creepy ...

... leave Matheson + Lloyd behind (WTF were they doing there in the first place?). Have Connors + SOS + Bolton + Judd and ...

... Docherty + Cripps + Shiel + a fourth player (Setterfield? McGovern? Existing Carlton player in leadership group?), pack the golf clubs and head down to Flinders or King Island, have the oldies and the young lads each form a group of four to play a round, and afterwards come together to have a decent feed with something interesting from the cellar. Make sure Docherty, Cripps, Judd and Bolton know how carry themselves properly - maybe have Jeanie Pratt give them a few deportment lessons beforehand.

Carlton do have to work within their limits.
Is not Lloyd the list manager, if so he would have to there. Or did he get head of the footy department role.
Agree with you about going to Noosa, very strange move.
I would have thought you sell the club at the club.
Maybe Shiel going through the growing pains at gws, could not face doing it again.

Is not Lloyd the list manager, if so he would have to there. Or did he get head of the footy department role.

I think Lloyd is head of footy and SOS is list manager? Anyway, only need one of them there as an offsider to Conners, not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back