Gambling ad on the Opera House; Alan Jones bullying and apology

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
You could look at it the other way of course.

It didn't become an issue until Jones behaved like a turd on air towards Louise Herron and then Gladys folded like a pack of cards to keep he and his racing mates happy.

If Louise Herron's position had been respected, I doubt if there would have been much carry on at all.

I don't think that is the case at all... The core of the issue revolves around an elite element of our community passing judgement on whether a major event for Sydney is culturally acceptable enough to use the Opera House as promotional leverage. Promoting the Ashes = OK, Promoting the Rugby = OK, Promoting a major Horse Race = Apparently not OK in some people's minds.

All this posturing about not wanting the OH to be used for commercial gain or to support political agendas is a convenient argument for a part of the community to pass its own moral judgement. I didn't see anyone up in arms when the OH was used to promote the passing of the Marriage Equality Bill (arguably a much more political issue than gambling) because that fitted the narrative of the people making the decision. Before I get accused of being a RWNJ or a homophobe I think it is great that it was celebrated in this way.

It's selective outrage at it's finest. While Jones had no right to behave the way he did we do have a right to know why it is appropriate to be virtuous in relation to issues when it is convenient.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't think that is the case at all... The core of the issue revolves around an elite element of our community passing judgement on whether a major event for Sydney is culturally acceptable enough to use the Opera House as promotional leverage. Promoting the Ashes = OK, Promoting the Rugby = OK, Promoting a major Horse Race = Apparently not OK in some people's minds.

All this posturing about not wanting the OH to be used for commercial gain or to support political agendas is a convenient argument for a part of the community to pass its own moral judgement. I didn't see anyone up in arms when the OH was used to promote the passing of the Marriage Equality Bill (arguably a much more political issue than gambling) because that fitted the narrative of the people making the decision. Before I get accused of being a RWNJ or a homophobe I think it is great that it was celebrated in this way.

It's selective outrage at it's finest. While Jones had no right to behave the way he did we do have a right to know why it is appropriate to be virtuous in relation to issues when it is convenient.
Nailed it. Jones is a knob and proves this everyday. The people protesting are just bored and need something to get their frustrations out. So with jones, horse racing, gambling and the use of their opera house being exploited, of course it was going to raise a protest. Everyone ended happy from this. Uni students and old bored ladies got a free night out in the city to let out their frustrations ( maybe even got on tv, yay) and jones played the media to create controversy and free advertising for his horsey mates try hard Melbourne cup. Gamble responsibly.

I don't think that is the case at all... The core of the issue revolves around an elite element of our community passing judgement on whether a major event for Sydney is culturally acceptable enough to use the Opera House as promotional leverage.
And to many, many people (300k plus on the petition by now?) the elite are the rich in the horse racing industry, including News Corp and Fairfax which have commercial interests in the event.

At a time when more and more people are unhappy with the prevalence of gambling advertising we are flogging off a world famous cultural and tourism icon to the gambling industry.

They aren't doing it to promote the Opera House, they are doing it to cash in on the investment the people of Australia have made in the Opera House. They need the Opera House, the Opera House doesn't need them.

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
And to many, many people (300k plus on the petition by now?) the elite are the rich in the horse racing industry, including News Corp and Fairfax which have commercial interests in the event.

At a time when more and more people are unhappy with the prevalence of gambling advertising we are flogging off a world famous cultural and tourism icon to the gambling industry.

They aren't doing it to promote the Opera House, they are doing it to cash in on the investment the people of Australia have made in the Opera House. They need the Opera House, the Opera House doesn't need them.

I'm just not buying this BS inference that advertising a horse race is doing more to advertise gambling than any other sports event (e.g. Ashes or a Wallabies match). Sports betting is as much of an issue these days as betting on horses but because that doesn't quite fit with the narrative that certain people want they see this as a vastly different situation and an affront to decency. Were any of the other sporting events, or the marriage equality debate for that matter, promoting the OH?

If you have a problem with indirectly supporting anything with ties to gambling that is fine, but the silence over the other "advertising" of sporting events suggests that isn't the case.

As for the 300k on the petition, out of curiosity I went and had a look the comments yesterday. Fair to say it is being used as a vehicle with any sort of beef against horse racing. Plenty of comments about animal cruelty and that horse racing in general is bad. That combined with how easy it is to sign a petition these days and the contradictions I've mentioned makes me a little skeptical that the level of genuine moral outrage around this issue.

I'm just not buying this BS inference that advertising a horse race is doing more to advertise gambling than any other sports event (e.g. Ashes or a Wallabies match).
If you have a problem with indirectly supporting anything with ties to gambling that is fine, but the silence over the other "advertising" of sporting events suggests that isn't the case.
While not a great look, neither of those advertised gambling. Neither of those are events solely held for the purpose of gambling. Neither of those showed commercial logos beyond the sports logos themselves. Neither of those broke the rules on what can be projected on the OPera House. Neither of those had broad public opposition. You could take gambling away from cricket or rugby and they would operate fine.

Horse racing is solely about gambling.

It's a step too far.

As for the 300k on the petition, out of curiosity I went and had a look the comments yesterday. Fair to say it is being used as a vehicle with any sort of beef against horse racing. Plenty of comments about animal cruelty and that horse racing in general is bad. That combined with how easy it is to sign a petition these days and the contradictions I've mentioned makes me a little skeptical that the level of genuine moral outrage around this issue.
I think you're looking for evidence to support your existing opinion. The 'contradictions' you claim exist are not valid.

Someone with a beef against racing can still have an opinion. In fact their opinion is probably more considered than most.

Labeling it "moral outrage" is simply a tactic to de-legitimise the rules, the law, and public opinion. In fact you haven't addressed the Opera House rules or the law of the land being overridden.

This is simply a case of commercial interests (including Jones with his own interests) bullying public servants in order to override the rules and the will of the broader public.

I don't know why people are going in to bat for these commercial interests. The people with the money couldn't give less of a toss about the public but for the money to be made from bets.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
FWIW what I read from Bolt, hes taking the opposite tack from Jones.

If you read the history of the opera house many people derided it from the start and youd imagine such as Jones would have been front and centre

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
While not a great look, neither of those advertised gambling. Neither of those are events solely held for the purpose of gambling. Neither of those showed commercial logos beyond the sports logos themselves. Neither of those broke the rules on what can be projected on the OPera House. Neither of those had broad public opposition. You could take gambling away from cricket or rugby and they would operate fine.

Horse racing is solely about gambling.

It's a step too far.

I think you're looking for evidence to support your existing opinion. The 'contradictions' you claim exist are not valid.

Someone with a beef against racing can still have an opinion. In fact their opinion is probably more considered than most.

Labeling it "moral outrage" is simply a tactic to de-legitimise the rules, the law, and public opinion. In fact you haven't addressed the Opera House rules or the law of the land being overridden.

This is simply a case of commercial interests (including Jones with his own interests) bullying public servants in order to override the rules and the will of the broader public.

I don't know why people are going in to bat for these commercial interests. The people with the money couldn't give less of a toss about the public but for the money to be made from bets.
Horse racing isn’t solely about gambling.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm just not buying this BS inference that advertising a horse race is doing more to advertise gambling than any other sports event (e.g. Ashes or a Wallabies match). Sports betting is as much of an issue these days as betting on horses but because that doesn't quite fit with the narrative that certain people want they see this as a vastly different situation and an affront to decency. Were any of the other sporting events, or the marriage equality debate for that matter, promoting the OH?

Spot on again.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Because people would willingly just go and watch horses run in circles without having any money riding on it.
Ok it is only about gambling. Your right, my mistake mr expert on everything.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Because people would willingly just go and watch horses run in circles without having any money riding on it.

They go to get dressed up and get into each others pants, look at a horse and make a bet as a conversation starter.

anyway in Melbourne we don't promote so much cos we don't want too many people there, its so popular

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
It is an industry designed around gambling from day one. It would collapse without gambling money.
That’s correct. It wouldn’t survive as it is without gambling. Horse racing would still happen though. Winx and black caviar prove that it isn’t all about gambling though.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Back