Society & Culture What day do YOU consider being the first day of the week?

What is the first day of the week?

• Sunday

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Monday

Votes: 39 72.2%

• Total voters

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
I got in to an interesting discussion, and we both differ on this. I never even considered it could be the other day.

I know it's different around the world, but was wondering what you were taught and consider in Australia to be the first day of the week?

Bitoraj

Draftee
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Monday.

I think it has to do with education and work. Some time ago I started my four day working week on a wednesday, so to me it felt like the start of the week was a wednesday. But apart from that it's always been a monday.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably Monday. Or Saturday. Either way, the weekend is one part of the week and the workdays another part.
Saturday and Sunday don't have any great difference, other than Sunday Night Terrors and ironing; like they might for deeply Christian people where the time in church could be seen as kick-starting the week.

Monday without a doubt
During my brief time in the Middle East, our school week was Saturday to Wednesday, so for those few months , it was Saturday to me ( dad worked 6 days a week, with just Fridays off, so it was the same for him too)

Hi, what are you planning on doing this weekstartandend?

Yes that sounded stupid, didn't it?

So the answer is Monday.

Nailed it. Saturday and Sunday is the weekend, Monday the start of the week. 2 days rest after destroying your soul for 5 days straight

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
It's all relative really.

I mean there's actually no such thing in reality as a week, or a month, or a year.....These are just arbitrary, abstract human constructions, designed to measure the change & motion of 2 objects, relative to each other.

The Alpha & Omega is merely prefaced upon our journey from the womb to the tomb.....Temporal measurement & the notion of finitude are products of our mortality.

Existing within nice arbitrarily set human abstracted concepts & conventions, just gives us a buffer & defence against the real & perilous nature of our existence.

The extent & degree to which we exist in the conceptual world in our heads, is equal to our alienation from the real world & our true visceral selves.

Have a loverly day.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I got in to an interesting discussion, and we both differ on this. I never even considered it could be the other day.

I know it's different around the world, but was wondering what you were taught and consider in Australia to be the first day of the week?

Depends on which day you consider the 7 th day I guess, if Saturday is the seventh day, as the 7th Day Adventists believe, then Sunday is the first day of the week. But in this modern world Sunday appears to be a day of rest, so its Monday that gets the nod as first day in that sense and it feels like everything is moving back into work mode.

But religiously I have no idea what is supposed to be day one.

Actually I never remember being taught the first day when I was a kid?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
It's all relative really.

I mean there's actually no such thing in reality as a week, or a month, or a year.....These are just arbitrary, abstract human constructions, designed to measure the change & motion of 2 objects, relative to each other.

The Alpha & Omega is merely prefaced upon our journey from the womb to the tomb.....Temporal measurement & the notion of finitude are products of our mortality.

Existing within nice arbitrarily set human abstracted concepts & conventions, just gives us a buffer & defence against the real & perilous nature of our existence.

The extent & degree to which we exist in the conceptual world in our heads, is equal to our alienation from the real world & our true visceral selves.

Have a loverly day.

Wait a minute , the sun rises and sets everyday? So at least we have days, as for weeks well, footy was always played Saturday afternoon, next, rest up at the secret beer fest a pleasant Sunday Morning , then play Sunday league reasonably lubricated, so its got to be Monday 1st day.

And now months? Not sure on that??
Well every September is Grand Final, so there's the year in time, we divide that up into 12 groups, thats months, and as far as time in ancient history well the VFL/AFL is 150 years old or a bit more , so the world is exactly 150 years old, or as old as the first game!

As for the conceptual world, well there's your answer here, pure sports science.
As you would understand.

Human convention demands a football season, so the creator created the first day for that reason , 150 years ago it must have been a Saturday!! There's some science for you.

Back