IPCC Report

Remove this Banner Ad

No thread on a new scientific report on the need to restrict global warming to 1.5 degree.

Interesting how we are all keen to talk about various identity politics till the cows come home but anyone want to talk about an existential threat to humanity? Pass.
As long as a quick buck can be made in the present, who cares about future generations?

shareholder-value-maximization.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No thread on a new scientific report on the need to restrict global warming to 1.5 degree.

Interesting how we are all keen to talk about various identity politics till the cows come home but anyone want to talk about an existential threat to humanity? Pass.
There are numerous existential threats.
And without collective agreed action you i we can’t do s**t about any of them.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If it truly is an existential emergency, that is the human species either escapes this crisis or doesn’t, then everything should be on the table. That includes nuclear power, killing the poor, eugenics, genetic engineering humans, killer robots etc.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
If it truly is an existential emergency, that is the human species either escapes this crisis or doesn’t, then everything should be on the table. That includes nuclear power, killing the poor, eugenics, genetic engineering humans, killer robots etc.
Are they not already?

I mean people don't explicitly say it but anyone making the calculation of adaption to climate change or assuming that it's too hard to solve and the best thing to do is to keep a strong economy is really saying they're willing to watch the absolute carnage of 200 million poor people die in the first wave of warming.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

No other option at Fukushima than to let the water out. All that water they're pumping in 3 reactors that are in meltdown

World pretends all the things the hippies warned us about is not happening

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are they not already?

I mean people don't explicitly say it but anyone making the calculation of adaption to climate change or assuming that it's too hard to solve and the best thing to do is to keep a strong economy is really saying they're willing to watch the absolute carnage of 200 million poor people die in the first wave of warming.
Sure, but I don't think people have their head across how authoritarian the solutions to crisis when it is underway will be. Eg if you think Australia's current border protection policies are bad ... well, good luck to you.

There are already billionaire preppers ready to bunker down in New Zealand, the Trump administration has accepted that 4 degrees of warming is locked in, Musk et al are looking for capital investment and innovation such that they can “terraform Mars”.

The 0.001% of humanity look like they're preparing to ride it out. What do the rest of us do?

Last edited:

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Sure, but I don't think people have their head across how authoritarian the solutions to crisis when it is underway will be. Eg if you think Australia's current border protection policies are bad ... well, good luck to you.

Already happening. This is the world's first climate fence along the border between India and Bangladesh:

India_Bangladesh-Barbwire-Fence.jpg

Designed to stop anticipated Bangladeshi climate refugees moving out when their country goes under.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Already happening. This is the world's first climate fence along the border between India and Bangladesh:

India_Bangladesh-Barbwire-Fence.jpg

Designed to stop anticipated Bangladeshi climate refugees moving out when their country goes under.
I meant in the context of Australia. When we're on stage 20 water restrictions I don't think there will be too many people having sympathy for refugees.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool

There are already billionaire preppers ready to bunker down in New Zealand, the Trump administration has accepted that 4 degrees of warming is locked in, Musk et al are looking for capital investment and innovation such that they can “terraform Mars”.

The 0.001% of humanity look like they're preparing to ride it out. What do the rest of us do?
I agree entirely, although as sidenote I would like to think Musk is smart enough to use the "terraform Mars" angle to drive investment into what is really R&D for geoengineering the earth because it's impossible to terraform Mars.

My response, apart from ticking the thread over was mainly to say that I think people at the highest levels are making those decisions, and all options are in play. I guess most people are waiting to see how the first wave plays out and what it does to the global system. Maybe the point of interest is how ordinary people aren't being told, similar to the way governments previously calculated the acceptable risks of nuclear weapons policy.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
the Trump administration has accepted that 4 degrees of warming is locked in
Would be interesting to see their scenario's for this. It's one thing to look at the modelling on a chart and say it's more likely that it can't be stopped but another thing to think about what 4 degrees of warming looks like in the physical sense.

I doubt there will be a United States at 4 degrees of warming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Would be interesting to see their scenario's for this. It's one thing to look at the modelling on a chart and say it's more likely that it can't be stopped but another thing to think about what 4 degrees of warming looks like in the physical sense.

I doubt there will be a United States at 4 degrees of warming.

They'd say goodbye to Miami for starters.

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
4 degrees first i heard that high of a prediction in about 20 years. Where did this accepted figure come from i could only find from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"Global mean surface temperature increases for the Proposed Action and alternatives compared with the No Action Alternative in 2100 range from a low of 0.001°C (0.002°F) under Alternative 7 to a high of 0.003°C (0.006°F) under Alternative 1. Figure S-7 illustrates the increases in global mean temperature under each action alternative compared with the No Action Alternative."

Does this mean if they take all these actions in reducing fuel consumption that with the most aggressive alternative they will save .0003 degrees of temperature rise?

Reads to me like they are pissing in your pocket and telling you it's raining. Everything they say regarding CO2 and global warming is "It is therefore it could result in". Predicting is very hard but this makes it a fait accompli that we are cooked anyway.

The report is regarding fuel efficiency of vehicles and it's relation to environmental impacts so it's one aspect of climate change and clearly a very small one. Alternative 1 (the best result and the preferred alternative) means a 0% increase in average fuel consumption accross all vehicles in the US, meaning more efficiency to offset the total number of vehicles (i think). That's a laudable goal i definitely think we should be looking for efficiency in resources in all aspects of life.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
4 degrees first i heard that high of a prediction in about 20 years. Where did this accepted figure come from i could only find from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
That's where it's from. It asserts that 4 degrees of warming is locked in, so why have higher fuel efficiency standards when that makes no difference to overall warming?

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree entirely, although as sidenote I would like to think Musk is smart enough to use the "terraform Mars" angle to drive investment into what is really R&D for geoengineering the earth because it's impossible to terraform Mars.
That's why I put it in quotes. Whatever technology is invented is undoubtedly intended by the likes of Musk to be used to colonise somewhere like Antarctica.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back