Thursday Night Footy in 2019 - 12 games on the agenda

Remove this Banner Ad

Im all for it. Suns wont get one. Haven’t had a friday night game in 8 years so far.
They maybe a chance considering no team can have no more than 1 5 day break. I'm sure that rules out 4 teams from the 5 extra thursday night slots.

Pretty much everyone commenting on the AFL tweet about this is saying “why, there are too many already?” or “nobody wants this.” Well, the answer to “why” is obviously “money” and if people didn’t like Thursday nights, then ratings would be abysmal and the AFL would stop holding games those nights. The BBL plays pretty much every night for 2 months, FFS.

I get that some people don’t want to stay up that late on a weeknight (solution: don’t watch), or don’t want to go to a match if they’ll get home really late (solution: don’t go), but if it’s increasing TV revenue then obviously the AFL is going to do it. The players want to make more money and so do the clubs. It’s kind of a no-brainer.

Pretty much everyone commenting on the AFL tweet about this is saying “why, there are too many already?” or “nobody wants this.” Well, the answer to “why” is obviously “money” and if people didn’t like Thursday nights, then ratings would be abysmal and the AFL would stop holding games those nights. The BBL plays pretty much every night for 2 months, FFS.

I get that some people don’t want to stay up that late on a weeknight (solution: don’t watch), or don’t want to go to a match if they’ll get home really late (solution: don’t go), but if it’s increasing TV revenue then obviously the AFL is going to do it. The players want to make more money and so do the clubs. It’s kind of a no-brainer.
But the tv money is already locked in as its year 3 of a 6 year deal. No new extra money for the afl.

Expect to see most Melbourne Thursday night games at Marvel stadium. A packed out docklands is better than a half empty MCG.

Ratings on Saturday have been abysmal especially when games are running at the same time as one another, no doubt a ratings decisions to give games more clean air plus more FTA games, can't complain. As an Adelaide fan love Thursday night games.

Expecting Thursday’s to be allocated between interstate clubs, predominantly WA & SA, and Friday to become the sole domain of Victorian teams.

It’s what Channel 7 would want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im all for it. Suns wont get one. Haven’t had a friday night game in 8 years so far.

This should be rectified in 2019. I don't think its right for a team not to have had a Friday night game. Especially considering the ludicrous amount of Friday night games that Carlton have got whilst being genuine cellar dwellers. Surely Gold Coast should get one.

Stoked. Love footy on a Thursday night. Something to look forward to at work all day then something to talk about at work the next day.
Even the casual footy fans I work with would tell me how much they enjoyed having the footy to watch on Thursday nights during that mid-season stretch.
Probably another nail in the Footy Show coffin too.

Im a fan.. I will just book leave days at work on the Friday after all the Crows Thurs games. nothing worse than fronting up to work 9 hours after a thurs night... I need much more time to digest the result of the game before fronting up to work. especially after a loss.

Bring it on. Thursday night games are the only ones I can watch properly. Work gets in the way on weekends.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back