Traded Fremantle trade pick 6, future 3rd rounder, to Port for pick 11, 23, 30, 49

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think Gold Coast will give up both picks 2 & 3 when they can play hard ball and hold onto one.

In reality instead of Port trading Wingard for either pick 7 or 15 and then trading 3 picks for 2 & 3 it'll more likely be picks 6 & 10 for pick 3 with Gold Coast holding onto pick 2.

That way Gold Coast could have picks 2, 6 & 10.

I definitely like the trade for Freo. Gives them lots of flexibility and currency to get trades done.

I'm lukewarm about the trade for Port. I can see some value in moving up the order ahead of Adelaide but they did pay a lot for that privilege. Probably can only judge if it was worthwhile in hindsight.

Pick 8 and 13 as a starting point, perhaps also pick 21, or maybe some swapping of picks. It is a lot sure, but if Adelaide got pick 2 then they get their choice of the two South Australians.
I wonder at what point the Adelaide clubs stop trying to outdo each other in this draft. Could go right to draft night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: Polec, Pittard, Pick 23, Pick 30, Pick 48, Pick 49

IN: Pick 6, Future 3rd Round (Freo), Future 4th Round (NM)

Ouch.
Looks great for Port - Taking away the irrelevant (yes, I do mean Pittard) stuff, they basically get pick 6 for Polec, 23 and 30. Fantastic deal.

Pick 8 and 13 as a starting point, perhaps also pick 21, or maybe some swapping of picks. It is a lot sure, but if Adelaide got pick 2 then they get their choice of the two South Australians.
This is why this isnt going to happen since no one seems to believe me. Here is the value of three trades done for picks so far this year.

Port & Freo - About 50% increase in Point Value
upload_2018-10-11_9-24-24.png
GC and Brisbane (about 50% loading
upload_2018-10-11_9-26-52.png
Sydney & Carlton/Adelaide - 50% loading
upload_2018-10-11_9-28-22.png

8 and 13 is no where near enough for pick 3 on this basis, yet alone pick 2

8, 13 and 21 might do it though.
Why would they do that.

They already have 2,3 19, 23

They are also going to get another top 10 pick for May

There is zero incentive to turn 2 or 3 into three more picks.

Get the elite talent in the door

Why would they do that.

They already have 2,3 19, 23

They are also going to get another top 10 pick for May

There is zero incentive to turn 2 or 3 into three more picks.

Get the elite talent in the door

Have you seen Gold Coast's list? They very much need fresh blood in the door, and a lot of it. Having picks 3, 8, 13, 19, 21 and 23 would help a lot as you can be sure that at least half of those will make it, especially if they play it safe with their selections and don't go for guys that could be stars or could be complete busts.

Freo (and West Coast) have seen the writing on the wall in recent years. With the rapid increase in player movement, picking Vic metro or SA kids will likely end in tears. This gives us useful currency to try and get back at least one West Aussie of Lobb and Hogan, and pick up Ian Hill with no future go home issues.

I hope it works out for Port too, getting one of the top SA talents available this year.

Gold Coast values quality over quantity, generally. Only trade I could think they might do would be 3 for 6 and 7.
Only deal I would look at, would get us 2 picks in that top 8 bracket. We already have 5 picks under 30. The talk of trading 2/3 for 8, 13 and 21 doesn't make sense especially because we dom't have a lot of list space as is

Have you seen Gold Coast's list? They very much need fresh blood in the door, and a lot of it. Having picks 3, 8, 13, 19, 21 and 23 would help a lot as you can be sure that at least half of those will make it, especially if they play it safe with their selections and don't go for guys that could be stars or could be complete busts.
Man sorry but there is nothing I can show to prove this is wrong. Ask GC posters they arent trading pick 2 or 3 for 8, 13 and 21.

What's the likelihood of Fremantle being able to trade Neale out, get Hogan and Lobb in, and start draft night with a top ten pick?
Could Freo trade 5 for 8 and 13 from Adelaide, 11 and 13 for Hogan, and 23 + a future pick for Lobb, thus keeping pick 8?

Sorry if this is written shittily.

Freo (and West Coast) have seen the writing on the wall in recent years. With the rapid increase in player movement, picking Vic metro or SA kids will likely end in tears. This gives us useful currency to try and get back at least one West Aussie of Lobb and Hogan, and pick up Ian Hill with no future go home issues.

I hope it works out for Port too, getting one of the top SA talents available this year.

WC and Freo have lost very few players.

Ebert (2011) and Stevens (2012) are the last two to leave WC and one of them couldn't get a game.

Freo lost Balic who ended up giving footy away, Roberton, Weller if he counts?

IMO Freo are capitalising on the SA clubs' desire to get into the top half dozen picks in the draft and improving their position. Trading a future 3rd rounder puts next year's 1st out of the picture. You have enough currency to trade for Lobb now. If Neale does go you'll have enough to trade for Hogan. If not you're in a good position heading into the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back