Traded Fremantle trade pick 6, future 3rd rounder, to Port for pick 11, 23, 30, 49

Remove this Banner Ad

Port won't get pick 1 from Carlton, so if Adelaide make one big push for pick 2 and they get it then they will get the player they really want.

Carlton want Walsh not Lukosius so are open to a trade with Adelaide if Port move to #2.

Just a question of price and we all have one...

#8, #16 (Setterfield) and Crouch?

WC and Freo have lost very few players.

Ebert (2011) and Stevens (2012) are the last two to leave WC and one of them couldn't get a game.

Freo lost Balic who ended up giving footy away, Roberton, Weller if he counts?

IMO Freo are capitalising on the SA clubs' desire to get into the top half dozen picks in the draft and improving their position. Trading a future 3rd rounder puts next year's 1st out of the picture. You have enough currency to trade for Lobb now. If Neale does go you'll have enough to trade for Hogan. If not you're in a good position heading into the draft.

Youre forgetting of a few others and I don't know how a eagle supporter could forget Judd

On the SA talent it may actually work better if you take the risk on these lads becoming home sick and want to return when they actually are capable of making a difference in your team. I get the feeling Rankine will come home if he is picked up by an interstater.

Gold Coast would just take Walsh at pick 3 if that were to happen.
Agree so it is unlikely, even though the trade looks over. But if we can trade in good mids it may affect the Walsh decision.

Agree so it is unlikely, even though the trade looks over. But if we can trade in good mids it may affect the Walsh decision.

The thing is I think 4 of the 7 supposedly amazing players in this draft are massive risks (the two South Australians and the King twins) and Blakey is going to the Swans so to me there are only 2 players in the 7 that are supposedly amazing that I would want if I were Gold Coast, and Carlton is going to be taking one of those 2.

The thing is I think 4 of the 7 supposedly amazing players in this draft are massive risks (the two South Australians and the King twins) and Blakey is going to the Swans so to me there are only 2 players in the 7 that are supposedly amazing that I would want if I were Gold Coast, and Carlton is going to be taking one of those 2.
And if the going rate is you pay 50% overs in points to move up the draft order (refer Freo trade and our trade with Sydney with #13) then #1 is worth 4,500 points or 2+3????

interesting trade.

Reminds me of 2 years ago where GWS traded picks 8,32,72 an Cam McCarthy to get Freos pick 3.

Only reason Port did this was to get access to one of those un SA kids. Plus they have pick 10.

Surprised Freo gave up just pick 6 and our 2019 3rd rounder. It still would of been a far trade if it was pick 6 and freos 2019 2nd rounder which would likely to be pick 21-25. Yes I still think freo will finish bottom 6 in 2019

Man Port must really think they are just one gun player away from a flag. I thought they would have learned not to sell the farm after last years trade debacle.

I wonder how much the Rockliff, Watts and Motlop trades from last year are now starting to impact.

Well, only Watts was a trade and that was a second round pick. Other two were free agents. If your question is about salary cap then answer is not much. Port have cap space.

Obviously, the later trades/uncontracted pick ups aren’t really a factor - they were all one year contracts to provide list flexibility this year.

This slightly unbalanced pick switch is clearly aimed at getting a better chance at a targeted player that Port don’t feel would slip to pick 10.

Man Port must really think they are just one gun player away from a flag. I thought they would have learned not to sell the farm after last years trade debacle.
Yeah that's it Sherlock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it not selling the farm? The draft is deep this year and Port just gave up most of their currency for pick 6.
How is that relevant to being 1 player from a flag?

And enlighten me how last years trade period was a debacle?

Youre forgetting of a few others and I don't know how a eagle supporter could forget Judd

On the SA talent it may actually work better if you take the risk on these lads becoming home sick and want to return when they actually are capable of making a difference in your team. I get the feeling Rankine will come home if he is picked up by an interstater.

Judd left in 2007, that was 11 years ago.

We didn't want him to leave and were never going to get fair present value but got pick 3 (his draft outlay), pick 20 and some bloke who has kicked nearly 600 goals.

Since Judd left we have drafted and retained plenty of non-WA players. 8 of our flag 22 were drafted from outside WA plus Redden and Vardy were traded in despite not originally being from WA either. Our first pick in each of the last 4 drafts has been a non-WA kid.

Carlton want Walsh not Lukosius so are open to a trade with Adelaide if Port move to #2.

Just a question of price and we all have one...

#8, #16 (Setterfield) and Crouch?
You realize Silvagni made it clear twice on trade radio that Carlton are still deciding between 3-4 players for pick 1?

In 2014, everyone thought St.Kilda were 100% going to take Petracca, then they took McCartin.

In 2016, everyone thought Essendon was going to take McCluggage, as he was the clear best performer of that draft year. GWS gave up a ton trading up to pick 2 that year, exclusively for the purpose of getting McGrath, only for Essendon to snap him up.

How is that relevant to being 1 player from a flag?

And enlighten me how last years trade period was a debacle?
Dishing off 3 decent picks, so you can get 1 top 10 pick is pretty irresponsible when the team is starting to age and desperately needs to bring in younger talent. I know that both Adelaide teams are keen on SA talent but I'd be livid if the Crows spent all their currency knowing it doesn't even guarantee you will get one of the top SA boys anyway.

Last year was a debacle because all your aquisitions were mediocre and brought about a salary cap squeeze which pushed out Polec and potentially more elite talent to follow. Polec's contract at North was exaggerated too. He didn't even leave for huge money as reported which suggests there is at least some cap pressure at PA.

I thought the point was the draft isn’t that deep. No more than usual anyway, just some very high end talent of which 3 are from SA.
Even in an average draft year, picks 1-30 are usually stacked with pretty decent talent. I haven't seen anybody suggest this is a weak draft. The Crows head recruiter in particular said he wants a full hand to work with, even though the lure of SA talent is strong.

If I were Adelaide I would be going after Gold Coast's pick 2.
Pick 2 is the kind of pick worth selling up for because it would guarantee the Crows get Luko. I think it's very unlikely GC will part with it though, even if we dumped all our picks on their doorstep.

Last edited:
Last year was a debacle because all your aquisitions were mediocre and brought about a salary cap squeeze which pushed out Polec and potentially more elite talent to follow. Polec's contract at North was exaggerated too. He didn't even leave for huge money as reported which suggests there is at least some cap pressure at PA.

Salary cap squeeze? Evidence please?

I eagerly await.

Polec being pushed out the door for 650K? Wingard rumoured to be looking for more coin and Port saying no way?
That's not evidence.

That's Port not wanting to pay Polec and Wingard over the top. Hardly proof.

We have tonnes of space.

Well, only Watts was a trade and that was a second round pick. Other two were free agents. If your question is about salary cap then answer is not much. Port have cap space.

Obviously, the later trades/uncontracted pick ups aren’t really a factor - they were all one year contracts to provide list flexibility this year.

This slightly unbalanced pick switch is clearly aimed at getting a better chance at a targeted player that Port don’t feel would slip to pick 10.

Yes, was about cap space. Thought they may have made it tight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back