Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/rules

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.
Kick-ins

• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
Marks and free kicks in defence

• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.
Runners and water carriers

• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.
Umpire contact

• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.
50m penalties

• The player with the ball:
  • Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
  • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.
Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
  • Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Marking contests

• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

The play on from goal square, and play on during the measuring of a 50m penalty (in particular) are both going to be a dogs breakfast.
This. How on earth do you enforce the playing on from the goal square? If the player steps over the line when kicking in now, is that not just play on?

The play on from goal square, and play on during the measuring of a 50m penalty (in particular) are both going to be a dogs breakfast.

Disagree.

That silly dinky kick that they do to themself if they want to play looks stupid.

My issue is with the 'traditional' positions at the bounce. I think having 6 in each 50m area is enough. Having to keep 1 in the square looks overly picky.

The play on while the 50 is being carried out needs players to be switched on. I suspect teams will be caught out a few times at first but then they will adjust.

Doesnt sound too bad. They are just trying to make it faster.

I would overhaul the ruck rules in general though as I don't think anyone understands them.

Goal umpires should also signal the score first, then signal why (touched, hit post, missed).

What's wrong with them?

Might force our coach to have more players forward...I know it's visionary I tell you!
No it won't. He'll just send them back as soon as the ball is bounced.

I don't think the main problem is the individual changes.

The largest problem with this is that it is obvious that Gil and AFL house don't view the game as something special that only needs minor adjustments but as their product with which they have an absolute right to fundamentally change.

The bubble in which the AFL and most of AFL media live in is extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
So what is to stop a ruck man just grabbing the ball in the ruck and wasting time in a close game? Don't see why this rule needed to be changed?

I will give them some credit, having the man on the mark for kick ins further back is a better solution than a bigger goal square, personally they should spray a dot on the field for this so the umpire isn't always telling them where to stand.

personally they should spray a dot on the field for this so the umpire isn't always telling them where to stand.
They already do that. Added it last year I think it was. A dark blue dot is there if you look hard enough on the TV.

Disagree.

That silly dinky kick that they do to themself if they want to play looks stupid.

My issue is with the 'traditional' positions at the bounce. I think having 6 in each 50m area is enough. Having to keep 1 in the square looks overly picky.

The play on while the 50 is being carried out needs players to be switched on. I suspect teams will be caught out a few times at first but then they will adjust.
But how does the umpire rule if the player has played on or stepped over the line? The player will always argue that they have played on.

Edit: that’s from kick in’s

So from a kick out the player doesn't kick to himself anymore he can just run out of the square and thats play on?
What about if he doesn't "play on"and kicks on the line of the square? Is that a ball up situation or can he then say he "played on" and thats where he kicked from?

So from a kick out the player doesn't kick to himself anymore he can just run out of the square and thats play on?
What about if he doesn't "play on"and kicks on the line of the square? Is that a ball up situation or can he then say he "played on" and thats where he kicked from?
Yep play on. No more infringement. You can kick, handball or just run out of the square.

Might as well close this thread down. For some reason the admins moved this one from the main board then someone started a thread after this one on MB and that one kicked on. My chance for glory has passed.

Didn't listen to what the fans wanted, only listened to themselves as usual. The only positive change is the hands in the back rule, but the umpires will be that bloody confused by it they will either still pay it anyway or be scared to pay a hands in the back full stop (even when blatant).

The grand final showed that our game is still great, by the time Gill is finished with it it will resemble the 20/20 garbage they rolled out in the preseason

Marks and free kicks in defense
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine meters of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare. - Smart rule. Will stop the full quarter field press being so effective and will ensure forwards staying forward and not being part of the defensive press and will thus open play up.
Runners and water carriers
  • Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts. - Smart rule. Stops filling space
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play. - Smart rule. how many sips and spit water outs do players need in 10 minutes
Umpire contact
  • Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at center bounces. - Smart rule. The Players have been using the umpire for a block
50m penalties
  • The player with the ball:
  • Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game. - Makes sense to me. When we introduced the 15m penalty you could play on and this, with teh 15m penalty for slowing up play, led to the fast game we have had since the 70s .
  • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out. - Why not? Currently the time it takes for the ump to set the new mark gives the defensive team time to all get behind the ball and as above.
Kicking for goal after the siren
  • A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
  • Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Marking contests
  • The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest - Reversing a silly rule to how it was for a 100 years. To anyone who is over 35 (I'm 48) and who has played teh game knows that you could always feel to hold and not push. the rule we always and this allowed for contested marks and rewarding strength .
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Ruck contests: prior opportunity
  • A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity. - Reversing a silly rule to how it was for a 100 years.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back