Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
http://afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

The nine changes as follows:

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces
  • Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.
Kick-ins
  • At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
Marks and free kicks in defence
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.
Runners and water carriers
  • Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.
Umpire contact
  • Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.
50m penalties
  • The player with the ball:
  • Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
  • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.
Kicking for goal after the siren
  • A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
  • Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Marking contests
  • The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Ruck contests: prior opportunity
  • A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

Looking forward to Rich and Witherden kicking in.

Last edited:

I'm disappointed about this one:
  • At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
I used to love picking out players stepping over the line without getting pinged.

Why didn't they get rid of the nominating the ruck rule? Umpires being able to ball up and throw in ASAP would surely open/speed the game up which seems to be the aim of these latest rules.

Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.
How does that impact injured players? Aren't water carriers usually first to the player when they're flat out on the grass?

Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Oh goodie, I look forward to that argument in the Facebook comments now. "He pushed!" "He didn't push, he just stood there!"

Why didn't they get rid of the nominating the ruck rule? Umpires being able to ball up and throw in ASAP would surely open/speed the game up which seems to be the aim of these latest rules.
I thought that was a given to change given how much it adds to the congestion of umps and boundary umpires waiting until the nominated ruckmen are identified.:huh:

I'm disappointed about this one:
I used to love picking out players stepping over the line without getting pinged.
Or in Jason Roes case just forgetting the need to do anything other than take off

Big fan that hands on back is no longer a free, a forward or back should be able to hold position on a player
The only issue is that it will be another of those interpretation nightmares for umps and just make their jobs harder.

In addition, as a young player, you’re always taught to play in front and that you’d be protected, not anymore, most will be wanting to play from behind.

Therefore, great rule for Dan McStay.;)

Yeah though I can see this interpretation being applied incorrectly by the player in front simply bending forward when the timing is right. I don't see how adding the ambiguity of "he's just defending his position" is going to prevent that at all.

The only issue is that it will be another of those interpretation nightmares for umps and just make their jobs harder.

In addition, as a young player, you’re always taught to play in front and that you’d be protected, not anymore, most will be wanting to play from behind.

Therefore, great rule for Dan McStay.;)
Yeah that’s true. I’m happy with interpretation rather than those times the umpires looked embarrassed awarding a hands in the back. As much as all club whinge I think the umpires perceived bias directly correlates to if your team got the free kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah though I can see this interpretation being applied incorrectly by the player in front simply bending forward when the timing is right. I don't see how adding the ambiguity of "he's just defending his position" is going to prevent that at all.
It’ll be all about extension of the arms which I’m pretty sure I’ve heard during the season. The umpires for all the grief they cop are a pretty switched on group. Now the AFL’s instruction to them on the other hand is a different story.

They kind of did, but definitely not to the degree you're describing.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
i.e. if it's obvious who the ruckman is, no need to nominate. Any third man up is still a free kick, presumably. I think they were playing it this way late in the year anyway, as I remember several games where they weren't asking for hands up before balling up.

Or in Jason Roes case just forgetting the need to do anything other than take off

I thought of it as the bane of the Irishmen - they always seemed to get caught.

On the taking the ball out of the ruck rule, or the "Clark Keating making Collingwood our bitch rule" as it should be known.

There is no coincidence that the emergence of a dominant Collingwood ruck sees a change in this rule.

I didnt like the rule in the first place, but it would never have been in place if it wasnt for Eddies bleatings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back