Brad Hardie says he’s sick of players using the ‘going home card’ to secure a trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
A number of players look set to use this trade period to return to their home state.

That includes Dylan Shiel, Dan Hannebery and Will Setterfield, who all look set to return to Victoria, while Rory Lobb, Jesse Hogan and Tim Kelly could all head to Western Australia.

Hardie said players knew being drafted interstate was a possibility — and if they weren’t willing to make a long-term move, they needed to reconsider their career choice.

“The bottom line is, if you want to get involved in this industry, you know unfortunately one of the pitfalls could be that you’re moving interstate,” Hardie told Macquarie Sports Radio.

“If you don’t want to move interstate, don’t nominate. Go and do something else.

“Go and work in a warehouse, go and drive a forklift, go and do a PHD in something else

“It’s all about choice and it’s all about options.”

Hardie spent time in three different states throughout his career in the late 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s.

He started his career with South Fremantle in the WAFL, before playing 47 games with VFL side Footscray, followed by 101 games at the Brisbane Bears and two at Collingwood.

After Dayne Beams was linked to a return to Collingwood for personal reasons, despite being contracted until 2020, Hardie said the star Lion couldn’t “play” the going home card again.

Beams made a passionate speech at the Lions best and fairest award this year after confirming he planned to see out his contract at Brisbane.

“I’ve had some struggles through the year to be honest with you,” Beams said.

“I’ve thought about going back to Melbourne and obviously those discussions happened and I’m not going to lie to you, they were thoughts that went through my head, but the one thing I kept coming back to is this group and you blokes.”

Beams moved to Brisbane for personal reasons at the end of 2014 as part of a trade that saw Collingwood claim Pick 5 (Jordan de Goey), Pick 25 (traded to North Melbourne for Levi Greenwood) and Jack Crisp.

But following reports Beams wanted to return to the Pies, Hardie said the midfielder’s camp couldn’t

“I’m sick of the going home card and especially Dayne Beams — how old is he? Please, I can understand (if) the kid’s 18,19 and there’s a family emergency or illness or whatever,” Hardie said.

“They’ve already played that card — don’t play it again.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...e/news-story/c1f350328a888029ec29dd457886068d

Tottally disagree. The AFL employers already have a heap of control over the players lives. If a player wants to return home so be it. Its a life choice that any individual deserves to have regardless of what club they worked for. To say go find a different job is rudiculous if one can find a job in there home state playing footy. If anything i think hardie should harden up when players want to leave and consider the players hometown before he drafts them.

Tottally disagree. The AFL employers already have a heap of control over the players lives. If a player wants to return home so be it. Its a life choice that any individual deserves to have regardless of what club they worked for. To say go find a different job is rudiculous if one can find a job in there home state playing footy. If anything i think hardie should harden up when players want to leave and consider the players hometown before he drafts them.

The club has paid them a certain amount of money to under the impression they'd stay the length of their contract. Imagine if a club front-loaded a contract, then the player decided they wanted to go home after 2 years. How would that be fair on the club?

Is this the same Brad Hardie who despite being from WA and having a pretty decorated career at WAFL, AFL and SOO level wasn't really w0anted by the only WA club in the AFL at the time?

Agree to a point but naming Dylan Shiel, Dan Hannebery, Will Setterfield, Rory Lobb, Jesse Hogan and Tim Kelly shows a poor understanding of player movement.

Dylan Shiel has played 7 years with GWS and is contracted for next year. From the outset they said he could explore options to move to Victoria and if he found a club and a suitable trade was arranged they'd do it. If not they were happy to keep him. They have salary cap issues and he's a free agent and could conceivably leave next year for pick 19 as compo.

Shiel is fine. 7 years, FA next year, club encourages him to look around, possibly would have been happy to go to 4 clubs and his club perhaps had input as to which club they could get an acceptable trade from.

It's interesting because you never see players play the go home card in American sports and soccer. Maybe Australians just have an entitled opinion on themselves because we are brought up that way?
I think it has something to do with the culture in Australia in comparison to other countries like the US. I find that in the US, sports stars are not the only ones to move states in their age group. It is actually common for 18 year olds across many different professions and aspirations to move interstate because of College. Hence, movement interstate is more ingrained and widespread in their culture than it is with us. In Australia, we tend to go to University in our own state if we study at tertiary level or find a job locally. You then end up getting a situation where AFL players tend to move interstate while their family and circle of friends all remain in their home state. In contrast, you get more of a scattering among the circle of family and friends of US sport stars, lessening the homesickness I guess.

Now, I am not from the US so I am happy to be corrected, but that is how it seems to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting because you never see players play the go home card in American sports and soccer. Maybe Australians just have an entitled opinion on themselves because we are brought up that way?
Because they are recruited out of College where they already spent years away from home, people are allowed to want to live somewhere, that's not entitlement.

What's entitled is this ginger * telling other people how to live their lives because he didn't care about living in Victoria.

Fair enough.

Not so, I'm as cynical of the home sick card as any other footy fan, but I'd cut Beames some slack - been there done that with the father in law & the cursed Jack the Dancer. Death is not the final act in a very tough time for those around you & I didn't get things back to normal for 18 months to 2 years.
One size does not fit all, Brad !!

He has a good point, in some cases playing the go home card is justified, like if you have sick family members, but in a lot of cases it's just for selfish reasons.

If a soccer player from Birmingham is with a London club in the EPL it would be a bit hard for them to play the go home card when it's just a 2 hour drive away.

It's not like a footy player from Perth wanting to return home from a Melbourne AFL club or vice versa,

He has a good point, in some cases playing the go home card is justified, like if you have sick family members, but in a lot of cases it's just for selfish reasons.

If a soccer player from Birmingham is with a London club in the EPL it would be a bit hard for them to play the go home card when it's just a 2 hour drive away.

It's not like a footy player from Perth wanting to return home from a Melbourne AFL club or vice versa,
What about foreign players playing?

Some guys should take a look at Luke Shuey. Drafted by us, a young Victorian boy coming over to Western Australia. The next year his sister was killed in an accident, he went home for a while and came back to WA to get on with his football. He was plagued with injuries and but kept working hard. He would have had every excuse to go back to Victoria, and given the circumstances I'd imagine the Eagles probably would have conceded in his case. But the boy just gusted it out and has now won a premiership and a Norm Smith Medal. Plus he has built a life for himself in WA forever as well as Victoria which will always be home for him Im sure. He has the best of both worlds.

I love the bloke, absolute legend. So glad we drafted him, not just for his ability but his character.

Some guys should take a look at Luke Shuey. Drafted by us, a young Victorian boy coming over to Western Australia. The next year his sister was killed in an accident, he went home for a while and came back to WA to get on with his football. He was plagued with injuries and but kept working hard. He would have had every excuse to go back to Victoria, and given the circumstances I'd imagine the Eagles probably would have conceded in his case. But the boy just gusted it out and has now won a premiership and a Norm Smith Medal. Plus he has built a life for himself in WA forever as well as Victoria which will always be home for him Im sure. He has the best of both worlds.

I love the bloke, absolute legend. So glad we drafted him, not just for his ability but his character.

Chance Bateman a similar tough time, went back to WA after retiring a Hawk, now doing some work with the Wirrpanda Foundation.

The club has paid them a certain amount of money to under the impression they'd stay the length of their contract. Imagine if a club front-loaded a contract, then the player decided they wanted to go home after 2 years. How would that be fair on the club?
That’s the risk of front loading. Clubs know this is a possibility, so don’t do it if you’re concerned.

What about foreign players playing?

The financial opportunities involved are astronomical. We aren't talking an extra $400,000 - $700,000 per year increase, it's millions of dollars and then comes off field marketing which is where American athletes and International sports-stars make their true earnings.

The financial opportunities involved are astronomical. We aren't talking an extra $400,000 - $700,000 per year increase, it's millions of dollars and then comes off field marketing which is where American athletes and International sports-stars make their true earnings.
Not always. Could be a French player playing at Valencia instead of Lyon for example

Yeah you won't get many players from dirt poor places in Africa or South America wanting to return home from rich European clubs paying them millions.

Brad is so old school

The AFL should simply compensate teams losing players better.

Perhaps on top of draft picks the team picking up a player pays $, at a formula, to the team losing a player effectively increasing one team’s salary cap and decreasing the other for three years.

Why do players even need a 'card' to secure a trade? Why not just "Hi guys, I'd prefer to play for [x-club] or in [y-state]. Here's your chance to negotiate a price for me before I qualify for free agency and walk for nothing." If a player doesn't want to be at my club, I'd prefer they just said it so we could help them out the door and get someone in who does want to be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back