Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Aeglos how does Martin Berkhan's deadlift fit into the not such thing as bad form equation, he's obviously fully adapted to it (and strong af) but is he doing damage to himself in the long run?

in short, no not doing damage in the long run.

You are more likely to injure your back when in flexion + rotation, so a neutral spine is safer to a degree, but as long as his back is conditioned for this there isnt a problem

Today is my 6 month anniversary of getting back into the gym.

The muscle memory from previous stints has kicked in, and my legs look exactly like Arnies did at the 1980 Mr Olympia.

I reckon it's time to take off the training wheels. They have these weird things in the gym called barbells. I feel comfortable leaving the sanctuary of the Hammer Strength machine cluster.

I am already doing bent over rows and Meadows Rows on the landmine attachment.

Hearing good things about these.

Snatch grip deadlifts.

I am meeting up later with one of those kids who spends an hour at the squat rack with no shoes on. He said he would run me through the deadlift basics and keep an eye on my form.

Wish me luck campaigners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's no issue. I just thought it was weird the first time I saw it. It's the IN thing with the squat crew.

I get it though. Squatting in normal runners isn't as stable.

It’s less to do with stability, and more to do with the fact people don’t the like cushioning effect of runners when squatting.

I'm baffled how that deadlift guy hasn't hurt himself badly. Don't people hurt themselves with better form than that? I'm kinaesthetically inept, there's no way I'm deadlifting with perfect form (I do a few exercises at home), but even my form isn't as bad as that guys is. Makes me feel more optimistic about avoiding injury.

I'm baffled how that deadlift guy hasn't hurt himself badly. Don't people hurt themselves with better form than that? I'm kinaesthetically inept, there's no way I'm deadlifting with perfect form (I do a few exercises at home), but even my form isn't as bad as that guys is. Makes me feel more optimistic about avoiding injury.

1) Define better form.
2) yes people get hurt with what aesthetically looks like better form - which is entirely the point of injuries occurring when demand exceeds capacity rather than any particular technique

Last edited:
Allow me to introduce you all to the legend that is Diesel Weasel.

10 years ago this guy was the butt of jokes on the bodybuilding/5x5 interwebs. It was only a matter of time before he decapitated his back and wound up in traction.

He somehow managed to not mangle himself, and went from being an internet cautionary tale, to power lifting glory.

Diesel Weasel Totals 1295 @ 165 Raw!
From Max "Diesel Weasel" Misch: "The meet was SSA Long Island Classic on June 9th, in Holbrook, NY. This was a 25lb PR for my total, along with breaking SSA American records in the squat, deadlift, and total". Max finished the day with a 460lb squat, 265lb bench and a 570lb deadlift.

A few months later...

In this skills evaluation he hit 470, 295 and a 590 to give him a 1355 gym total... Max may very well cross the 600 pound barrier at RUM!

believableUn

10 years ago this guy was the butt of jokes on the bodybuilding/5x5 interwebs. It was only a matter of time before he decapitated his back and wound up in traction.

He somehow managed to not mangle himself, and went from being an internet cautionary tale, to power lifting glory.

From Max "Diesel Weasel" Misch: "The meet was SSA Long Island Classic on June 9th, in Holbrook, NY. This was a 25lb PR for my total, along with breaking SSA American records in the squat, deadlift, and total". Max finished the day with a 460lb squat, 265lb bench and a 570lb deadlift.

A few months later...

In this skills evaluation he hit 470, 295 and a 590 to give him a 1355 gym total... Max may very well cross the 600 pound barrier at RUM!

believableUn

Continental cleans are inherently ugly, but even by their ugly standards his was damn ugly :drunk:

1) Define better form.
2) yes people get hurt with what aesthetically looks like better form - which is entirely the point of injuries occurring when demand exceeds command rather than any particular technique

I don't know, exactly, but I just discovered I'm squatting the deadlift, hips are too low. I've managed not to round my back, though, but sometimes I've hyperextended when I'm coming up with the bar.

A few months later...

believableUn

How the hell is this guy not in a wheelchair?

people hurt their backs spitting out toothpaste, getting out of a car, all sorts of mundane things. if the structures arent prepared for the movement or the the load, things can go wrong. if they are prepared and conditioned, go your hardest

So a while ago I was uhmming and arrghing in here about getting a safety squat bar, ended up getting the ATX bar;

https://samsfitness.com.au/barbells/specialty-olympic-bars/atx-safety-squat-bar

Ive done 3 sessions with it and I think it's pretty good, balances really well, you can go no hands if you want, not sure why you would but it demonstrates how well balanced it is.

I think the cambers are spot on, the weight doesn't feel distributed any differently to a bar in high bar position. Doesn't push you forward at all, just sits there nicely.

The handles are good, good length and at a good width for gripping and sits around shoulders and neck nicely - that'll vary person to person though obviously - you can tuck your elbows in nicely and tighten up.

It's also really good for Bulgarian split squats where it becomes really hard to setup - for me anyway - once you start going heavier on it.

I don't do good mornings normally but might give them a shot next.

Was feeling very manly after hitting a new squat pr (140kg for 3 singles)

Doing some 100kg leg press as an accessory and a young slender (attractive) half asian girls comes up to the adjacent leg press and chucks 120kg on there and starts repping them out

I could feel my test levels dropping with every rep she completed

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I haven't done leg press in ages, at my best I was doing 320kg x 10 on there.

Yesterday I was doing squats and I feel some random guy who was next to me had the same feelings as you.

I hit my year goal last night, did a 90kg back squat :D

people hurt their backs spitting out toothpaste, getting out of a car, all sorts of mundane things. if the structures arent prepared for the movement or the the load, things can go wrong. if they are prepared and conditioned, go your hardest

Okay. I'll endeavour to keep my back as straight as possible and avoid going too low with my hips, but otherwise, it doesn't sound like it's going to be the end of the world if I don't execute the lift with textbook precision.

Okay. I'll endeavour to keep my back as straight as possible and avoid going too low with my hips, but otherwise, it doesn't sound like it's going to be the end of the world if I don't execute the lift with textbook precision.

The trick is to either always lift the same way (so your body adapts to that) OR vary the way you lift frequently enough that your body adapts to lifting in many different ways.
IMO it’s that middle ground that gets people into trouble
Eg powerlifter maintains a neutral/extended spine up to 85% of their 1rm. 90% and above there is a noticeable change in spinal curvature.
They then begin a program that spends up to 2 months at or below 85%.
Program calls for 90% but said lifter has just spent 2 months effectively detraining what >90% deadlift.
Lifter then gets injured because they’re actually weaker in their >90% deadlift technique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back