Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought Melbourne should be the ones offering the steak knives at the very least.

a bog average, dime a dozen mid for a talented ruck/forward with big potential doesn't seem right to me.
It’s not even that, he doesn’t solve our mid issues re lack of class and leg speed. We are far too skinny on points, but I guess we are stuck with him now.

Weird trade for both teams. Preuss is ready to go as a first ruck, but will be well behind Gawn unless they’re planning on playing both.

Surely North could have picked Tyson up for a late pick.

We'll be playing two rucks. Guaranteed. West Coast did and won a flag. Collingwood did and nearly won a flag.

Gawn has the ability to push up the ground and take a huge mark inside 50. Set shots a bit shakey but has improved in the latter end of the season. Clunked and kicked them in both finals matches. He also reads the play well and goes down back and takes very crucial intercept marks. Problem is when he does that, their ruckman peels off and waits for Gawn to kick it to a contest.

With Preuss in the side also, Gawn has the ability to roam up and down the ground whilst Preuss can help contest in the air on the wing (where we fall over. We get killed in the air when Gawn isn't there).

Pretty fair deal I would’ve thought. I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Preuss but if he was that good, he would’ve kicked old man Goldstein out of the side. Melbourne needed a back up ruck, having delisted all of their own.

Tyson is an ok to good AFL player if used in the right role. He’s handy depth at the very least for North.

Can see why the clubs did the deal. Not sure it was the smartest move from either player if they wanted to play consistent, senior football.

Pretty fair deal I would’ve thought. I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Preuss but if he was that good, he would’ve kicked old man Goldstein out of the side. Melbourne needed a back up ruck, having delisted all of their own.

Tyson is an ok to good AFL player if used in the right role. He’s handy depth at the very least for North.

Can see why the clubs did the deal. Not sure it was the smartest move from either player if they wanted to play consistent, senior football.
Best play for.Tyson. Eeckon he has a better chance playing in a North Midfield than a Dees midfield. Wouldn't surprise me if Dees do experiment with 2 rucks especially with the new rule change.

We'll be playing two rucks. Guaranteed. West Coast did and won a flag. Collingwood did and nearly won a flag.

Gawn has the ability to push up the ground and take a huge mark inside 50. Set shots a bit shakey but has improved in the latter end of the season. Clunked and kicked them in both finals matches. He also reads the play well and goes down back and takes very crucial intercept marks. Problem is when he does that, their ruckman peels off and waits for Gawn to kick it to a contest.

With Preuss in the side also, Gawn has the ability to roam up and down the ground whilst Preuss can help contest in the air on the wing (where we fall over. We get killed in the air when Gawn isn't there).
Collingwood played 1 ruck and 1 large American forward who happens to be somewhat ruck sized.

West Coast played 2 rucks but their 2 key forwards are both excellent forward pressure players, including Darling who really is more of a medium forward with the way he covers the ground and chases. And Rioli, Ryan, Venables and Cripps are all excellent pressure players.

With 2 genuine key forwards in Weid and Tommy Mc, plus medium forward options in Petracca, Melksham, vandenBerg and Hannan I'm not convinced Melbourne will play 2 rucks. Maybe against some teams but forward pressure is too important. If Petracca, Melksham, Tommy Mc and Weid all take huge leaps in their pressure and we add a proper crumbing small forward then maybe it works, but it wouldn't work as is.

I'd suggest we play 2 rucks in maybe 5-6 games against tall sides and the bottom sides, and even if he isn't injured Gawn will have some niggles that need resting for another 2-3 games minimum, plus Wied and Tommy Mc might need the same and Preuss would be the first in. All up there's a chance he plays 10 games pretty easily but isn't in the best 22.

The deal seems totally fair but I'd be worried if I was Preuss. You know 100% that you will always be behind Gawn. If he doesn't perform as a 2nd ruck in the same side he won't be getting games and Gawn is very durable. He definitely could have gone to another club and got games eg St.Kilda

The deal seems totally fair but I'd be worried if I was Preuss. You know 100% that you will always be behind Gawn. If he doesn't perform as a 2nd ruck in the same side he won't be getting games and Gawn is very durable. He definitely could have gone to another club and got games eg St.Kilda
Agree - will be interesting to see if they play the 2. Gawn can ruck for 85-90% of game time.

This trade baffles me as I don't understand why Melbourne went after Preuss, or why Pruess would agree to go to Melbourne since Preuss has gone from being behind Goldstein and not getting a game because of it to now behind Gawn, probably not getting a game because of it. Surely he would have picked a club that is struggling ruck wise, not pick a club with an even better ruckman than the ruckman he was already behind.

Pretty simple really.
Melbourne has built a game style around contested midfield dominance inside players. We can use dominant ruck play to our advantage by winning centre clearances and pressing teams in our half.
We had Gawn and then literally no other rucks on the list.
Gawn has shown an ability to go back or forward and be a dominant contested marking player, however in the prelim WC tagged him and then used a 2nd ruck against Weideman to make our midfield dominance negligible. Now with a second ruck if teams wanna tag Gawn he can take their ruck to the goalsquare and we can still play a proper ruck who will now get to work against the teams 2nd ruck. Hickey and Lycett are probably the 2 toughest 2nd rucks he will have to face therefore we can continue to build around a contested ball inside mid game.

Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why people are saying they don't understand Melb going after Preuss, We basically have no back up if Gawn gets Inj so of course we where going to look to bring one in. We also most likely need to bring in another one as well.

Best play for.Tyson. Eeckon he has a better chance playing in a North Midfield than a Dees midfield. Wouldn't surprise me if Dees do experiment with 2 rucks especially with the new rule change.
I’m sure Melbourne will give the two ruck thing a go but I’m not certain it’ll work. Gawn and Preuss strike me as pure ruckmen - other sides that have done it successfully have the whole ruck/forward hybrid thing going on. As another poster stated though, our aim could be to shore up contested ball/stoppage dominance.

You'll have to teach Preuss to be able to spread first but it looked like his game stagnated in the VFL. Trade could release a great player. We don't seem to rate him but it's a risky move considering his has the physical attributes to dominate in the centre.

I’m sure Melbourne will give the two ruck thing a go but I’m not certain it’ll work. Gawn and Preuss strike me as pure ruckmen - other sides that have done it successfully have the whole ruck/forward hybrid thing going on. As another poster stated though, our aim could be to shore up contested ball/stoppage dominance.
Gawn has shown he can do many other things besides dominate the ruck.

Excellent running capacity.

Excellent contested marking.

Reads the play well and did an excellent job playing as an intercept defender at times.

Preuss must be on decent money to continue as a VFL ruckman

Gawn has shown to be a very good target inside 50 especially early in year when Lever was playing. Once lever went down we saw Gawn drop back every week and intercept. The key will be preuss being able to play a fair bit forward. Otherwise he’ll be at Casey.

Still can't understand the logic from Preuss. Should've gone to the Dogs, Saints or Giants imo.

Gawn has shown he can do many other things besides dominate the ruck.

Excellent running capacity.

Excellent contested marking.

Reads the play well and did an excellent job playing as an intercept defender at times.
I agree, Gawn is a terrific follower and can contested mark forward and back. That said, he’s currently doing that playing on the ball. I’m happy to be proven wrong but I’m not 100% sure of his forward craft for extended periods of time. There’s also a difference between having him drop in the hole after a centre bounce and accommodating him more permanently into our backline structures. All in all though, Gawn is the least of my concern, I see Preuss as a Mumford/Grundy type - at his best following the ball and having an impact in the clinches.

I’m happy to be proven wrong (and I hope to be) but I don’t see the tandem ruck working long term for us.

Gawn has shown to be a very good target inside 50 especially early in year when Lever was playing. Once lever went down we saw Gawn drop back every week and intercept. The key will be preuss being able to play a fair bit forward. Otherwise he’ll be at Casey.
Admittedly this is only off a couple of games but he seemed to have a good mark up forward when he and Goldstein were playing as two rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back