MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I’m think the whole site-wide ban thing is temporary. I don’t really know what happened but I’m guessing Gaff’s decision to stay must have driven a bunch of threads into the red zone.
Thats what I mean tho, they're hardly the first team to do something worthy of intense trolling, why the special treatment?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Thats what I mean tho, they're hardly the first team to do something worthy of intense trolling, why the special treatment?
Not totally sure, but NM related stuff has always had an amazing capacity to break Bigfooty. They have the largest number of registered users I think - which is because there is no other dedicated forum like demonland or Saintsational. But with the trade specific stuff I suspect a lot of the drama stems from a few dedicated and frequent posters that tend to post multiple times with ITK certainties all over the forum - dusty 100 percent to North, Gaff deal done 6 months back etc. so every time a trade falls over there is a massive queue of randoms who want to say LOL all over the place, NM posters get into fights over it and I’m guessing that their board gets trolled to the extent of making it temporarily unusable.

I’m annoyed at myself that I forgot to check one of those Gaff threads at the moment the announcement was confirmed. It will look different now following a laundry service.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Not totally sure, but NM related stuff has always had an amazing capacity to break Bigfooty. They have the largest number of registered users I think - which is because there is no other dedicated forum like demonland or Saintsational. But with the trade specific stuff I suspect a lot of the drama stems from a few dedicated and frequent posters that tend to post multiple times with ITK certainties all over the forum - dusty 100 percent to North, Gaff deal done 6 months back etc. so every time a trade falls over there is a massive queue of randoms who want to say LOL all over the place, NM posters get into fights over it and I’m guessing that their board gets trolled to the extent of making it temporarily unusable.

I’m annoyed at myself that I forgot to check one of those Gaff threads at the moment the announcement was confirmed. It will look different now following a laundry service.
I got in there about 5mins afterwards ... it was nothing short of majestic.

Meanwhile, St Kilda have a forum called "Saintsational" ... haha, that really is the most "St Kilda" name I've heard

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Said it before, but we'll need to again see significant improvement next year to have a shot at the flag.
  • Richmond are still Richmond as should be favorites, especially with Lynch.
  • Collingwood will improve again
  • If you take Essendon's end of season form and add Shiel, they are now scary
  • West Coast kept Gaff, still have their fortress, and will compete again
I still have concerns that Port could finally get their act together too. They have the talent.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't see Shiel improving Essendon much, they might improve enough as a club to be top 4 but they already have blokes who play like Shiel all over the field. He will just have it more than some one like Saad now.

Their problem is they can't get going in the contested footy against sides like us.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within 9m of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goal square.
Why the hell would you write '9m' into a rule book? They have enough trouble measuring 15m on the fly, now they have to think about what 9m is? This organisation baffles me

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended will be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick as long as they kick the ball in a direct line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Good luck adjudicating this on the field too. Umpires are going to either have to stand directly behind the player kicking, or directly behind the man on the mark. Also, I would love a mark to be taken after the siren in the pocket on GF day with a team 5 points down and the ump calling play-on as the player kicks it for being 2cm offline.

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity. Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
More grey areas and open to interpretation. There is uncertainty at every ruck contest unless someone nominates. One of the good things about the game is the uncertainty of it. Also, this will do the opposite of what they want. It will create more secondary, and tertiary stoppages because rucks will try and take posession more often, and then teams will just kill the contest again by wrapping him up. Result? Another bounce. Actually, if you are 6 points up with a few mins to go and there is a bounce. I'd be telling Max to try and take possession of it every time and let himself get tackled. Or just get our players to wrap him up straight away. Repeat stoppage after repeat stoppage to wind the clock down.

• Removal of the hands-in-the-back rule in marking contests. Hands can be placed in the back provided there is no pushing.
All you have to do as a forward playing in front when you feel hands in your back is fall forward. The hands will follow and it will look like you are pushed. Another grey area. What is 'pushing'. If Preuss has his hands in Cale Morton's back, it is going to be completely different to if Fritsch has his hands in Mason Cox's back.

Almost all the new rule changes have just added to the grey areas and intepretations. Lunacy.

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within 9m of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goal square.
Why the hell would you write '9m' into a rule book? They have enough trouble measuring 15m on the fly, now they have to think about what 9m is? This organisation baffles me

Goal square is 9m hombre.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Goal square is 9m hombre.
Nah I know.

So you need to be able to draw a circle with a radius of 9m out from the edges of the goal line to accurately judge it. Make the goalsquare 10m if you want to bring in a rule like this is what i am saying

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Why would 10m make it any easier?
Because 10m is an easier and more common distance to judge than 9m... They already have enormous trouble with 15m as it is. Look at some of the marks they pay. They'd be lucky to be +/- 50% on some of them

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Ok then judge 10 and walk forward a metre....
?? I know how to judge it. I'm saying umpires won't be able to do it on the fly and from a distance. Or are you expecting them to go over and measure every time.

What will happen will be the same as what happens with the 7m kicks you see paid as marks these days. There will be a +/- 9m variance in what is considered '9m from the goal line' in any given game.

Furthermore, I just don't understand why they felt the need to bring that rule in. Essentially they don't want the ball inside defensive 50 unless a goal is being kicked. They are trying to allow teams to walk it out and be able to kick the ball to 70m out without any obstacle.

If that is what you want, then fair enough. I prefer footy though..

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
?? I know how to judge it. I'm saying umpires won't be able to do it on the fly and from a distance. Or are you expecting them to go over and measure every time.

What will happen will be the same as what happens with the 7m kicks you see paid as marks these days. There will be a +/- 9m variance in what is considered '9m from the goal line' in any given game.

I don't really understand you grievance..

The AFL could easily give them a fit bit or something with a GPS to properly make distance but it doesn't really matter if it's 9 or 7.8... It's more room to kick out

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
I don't really understand you grievance..

The AFL could easily give them a fit bit or something with a GPS to properly make distance but it doesn't really matter if it's 9 or 7.8... It's more room to kick out
This is from a mark though.

The grievance, as above, is that they are changing the game for no reason. Was there really a problem with players taking a mark close to the goal line having no room to kick out?

Why are we just allowing players to advance another 9m? Just so they can clear defence easier? WHy? Is trying to lock it in your attacking 50 that much of a problem to the AFL? On the contrary I think it is exciting trying to see teams work it out from deep in defence. Don't you?

Overall, I fundamentally disagree with pretty much all the new rules that have been brought in. It has just increased the amount of interpretations the unpires have to make, with no evidence that any of them will work the way they want them to. With no evidence they won't have a raft of unintended consequences that they will have to bring more rules in to cover later, or like they have done with the hands in the back thing, just go back to the rule that already existed.

What is the point of the starting positions thing? Players have to be in the position for a split second then they are free to go. Just leave it alone. It is rules for the sake of rules.

Small forward lines are going to be massively devalued I reckon, with the anti-defensive 50m rules they've brought in too. I just didn't see any reason for changing that part of the game. On what evidence have they acted?

I think it is just wearing away the fabric of the game (CLICHE) for no real reason except to try and 'increase scoring' and 'decrease defence'.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It is astonishing that Port trade in Watts then the next year push Wingard out because he is ‘lazy’.
Sounds like a special weird type of lazy though, if rumour can be believed (though it probably cant). The one about chad not being able to face an away game without dragging his PS4 to play his regulation 10 hours of fornite is particularly bizarre.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Probably Jewish kids

Oy Vey!

I’m think the whole site-wide ban thing is temporary. I don’t really know what happened but I’m guessing Gaff’s decision to stay must have driven a bunch of threads into the red zone.

Male PA Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Female PA Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Male PA Announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
Female PA Announcer: No, the white zone is for loading. Now, there is no stopping in a RED zone.
Male PA Announcer: The red zone has always been for loading.
Female PA Announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for unloading.
Male PA Announcer: Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone s**t again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.
Female PA Announcer: Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.
Male PA Announcer: It's really the only sensible thing to do. If its done safely, therapeutically, there's no danger involved.

Oy Vey!

Male PA Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Female PA Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Male PA Announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
Female PA Announcer: No, the white zone is for loading. Now, there is no stopping in a RED zone.
Male PA Announcer: The red zone has always been for loading.
Female PA Announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for unloading.
Male PA Announcer: Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone s**t again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.
Female PA Announcer: Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.
Male PA Announcer: It's really the only sensible thing to do. If its done safely, therapeutically, there's no danger involved.
That's a quality reference right there

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.

Not sure if this belong in Looney Bin? Proper Gander but
here it is, hes done it again

T$ would make a wonderfull politician, full of false promise(s)

PS, FMD not sure who i would hate mmore if this goes through $cully or Whorkes?

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting to see Hawthorn has built a beast of a midfield entirely out of players developed at other clubs- Mitchell, O’Meara, Wingard, Scully, Burgoyne, McEvoy and Ceglar. They’ve been ahead of the curve a few times, I wonder if this is the next thing.

Interesting to see Hawthorn has built a beast of a midfield entirely out of players developed at other clubs- Mitchell, O’Meara, Wingard, Scully, Burgoyne, McEvoy and Ceglar. They’ve been ahead of the curve a few times, I wonder if this is the next thing.
Underrating Shiels and Smith there

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Indeed if it works like it does on paper. There is a pretty big risk element there injury-wise (JOM / Scully) or oldness hit-a-wall style (Burg and various). But if it works out well for them for even one season it changes the future for how strong clubs approach the ‘rebuild’ notion.

The draft still has value and always will. Bottom clubs will always need to start somewhere, and don’t have the ‘in contention’ banner to waive at players on the move to entice them in.

Back