Tassie to rejoin the VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been paywalled but apparently Tassie will have a team in the VFL next year, which would bring the number of teams up to 16. You'd have to assume that clubs like Coburg and Frankston would have to not travel down there, the costs could cripple them.

I've been paywalled but apparently Tassie will have a team in the VFL next year, which would bring the number of teams up to 16. You'd have to assume that clubs like Coburg and Frankston would have to not travel down there, the costs could cripple them.
Oh, ffs, this better not be true. We need Tassie footy fixed not whored out to Victoria again. At least Wade still isn't there to use the whole setup as nothing more than photo ops with AFL "names".

Oh, ffs, this better not be true. We need Tassie footy fixed not whored out to Victoria again. At least Wade still isn't there to use the whole setup as nothing more than photo ops with AFL "names".
It's not great for minor VFL clubs either. The travel unless assisted by AFL Vic could seriously dent their financials.

It was a failure last time due to AFLWade's shyte management. This time its even sillier. No one knows where the VFL is going. If the AFL restarts its reserves competition, the VFL would be meaningless. Tasmania's participation likewise would be pointless. Even so, whats the value of spending huge sums on airfares & accommodation. Pointless waste of money.

Just dont think the VFL is the answer to Tassie's problems. Tried before.

TAC and AFLW yes to encourage the youth and women but not at VFL level.
...unless there is a pathway to a higher league. I hope so... Tassie deserve an AFL gig

Tasmanian Australian Rules Football really needs alot of work done for it to be sustainable.

Tasmanian Australian Rules Football really needs alot of work done for it to be sustainable.

Its sustainable. The level to which its sustainable is the issue.

The AFL has dominated over all the original state leagues. The difference here is that while our football has been diminished by the dominance of the AFL, we didn't get an AFL club to balance out the shift in focus. Every other state has benefited by having AFL clubs. At least the NT play in the opposite season so isn't affected. The TSL copped the negative aspects of the AFL, but Tassie has gotten none of the benefits.

This 2nd go around in the VFL is just AFWOT. It got nowhere last time. Whats the point of doing it all again. Running some even more diminished state league & a VFL team at the same time is JAF joke.

I imagine that the TAC Cup team is what will have the most potential. I see the VFL team as an extension to the TAC Cup team. I reckon this new setup will cause more Dayne Zorko type stories. Zorko was ignored in 3 consecutive drafts because the QAFL wasn’t rated by scouts. Once Zorko dominated in a rep game v WAFL and played a season in the NEAFL, he made the AFL. I think the new TAC Cup Setup is designed to expose Tasmanian (and QLD and NSW) players to better competition and selectors.

I imagine that the TAC Cup team is what will have the most potential. I see the VFL team as an extension to the TAC Cup team. I reckon this new setup will cause more Dayne Zorko type stories. Zorko was ignored in 3 consecutive drafts because the QAFL wasn’t rated by scouts. Once Zorko dominated in a rep game v WAFL and played a season in the NEAFL, he made the AFL. I think the new TAC Cup Setup is designed to expose Tasmanian (and QLD and NSW) players to better competition and selectors.
If you want to make it to the AFL, you already can't play in the TSL as a mature age player. Our best players often move interstate if they want a shot at it. See Ben Brown.

I guess it will help those cases a little. But i just don't see the talent or "care" by the public to make the VFL work, even for a year or 2 like last time.

We all know the AFL are just doing this to shut us up. And when it fails, they will just use it as an excuse.

Edit: Case in point for a Tasmanian moving states which happened today

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back