News Stanley, Abbott, Jones and Simpson re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprised by the signing of Stanley & Abbott. Going by how Geelong have been working in the trade period, they see our forward line as the biggest problem at the moment, especially the forward pressure aspect which is why we've got Dalhause and Rohan, and told Murdoch & Menzel to look elsewhere. Maybe they see Big Sav and Blicavs as possible support to Stanley & Abbott for the next few years. Smith is still out of contract next year, so I wonder what will happen to him now. Will he be delisted?

Not surprised by the signing of Stanley & Abbott. Going by how Geelong have been working in the trade period, they see our forward line as the biggest problem at the moment, especially the forward pressure aspect which is why we've got Dalhause and Rohan, and told Murdoch & Menzel to look elsewhere. Maybe they see Big Sav and Blicavs as possible support to Stanley & Abbott for the next few years. Smith is still out of contract next year, so I wonder what will happen to him now. Will he be delisted?
Pretty sure Zac is under contract for 2019 with us

Go Catters

I'm stoked with Sam Simpson getting more years, got to see him play VFL footy towards the end of the year and he just looks very clean, good skills. This eases the pressure on him for next season so he can just build his body and his tank, and he should see some AFL game time as a result.

I hope we play two rucks throughout next year. Not Blicavs because he should stay down back. Stanley, Smith, Abbott and Esava are the ruck options. And I hope we play two of them each week. Ideally it’s Stanley with Esava as 2nd ruck.

JJ should some big improvement hopefully he gets more games next year. Simpson needs to hit the gym but he has some nice pieces to his game.

Simpson is questionable but given how many players going out another year wont hurt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years for Simpson so he is a upgraded then?....as next year will be his 3rd year as a rookie
Could be one year on the rookie list & then upgraded but chances are he'd be upgraded along side his mate Zuthrie

2 years for Simpson so he is a upgraded then?....as next year will be his 3rd year as a rookie

Was unsure of this as well, unless the club uses a junk pick to upgrade him to Senior list - but the 2 year deal suggests to me Henry, Zuthrie and Simpson will be off the rookie list with only Jones still there but on the 3rd year of his rookie time allocation.

Go Catters

Interesting how you were able to update Stanleys and Abbotts contracts months and weeks ago respectively in cat scans,Daz the Oracle.:thumbsu:
IT as annouced unofficially in interview on KROCK - Stanley answered a question from Kingy and Benny tweeted that Abbott had a 2 year deal... that the club has announced a while ago.

But yes... ill take Oracle :cool:

Go Catters

Simpson?
Like Abbott kicked a couple of goals, marks and runs well. Could play CHF or extra tall defender a quite versatile tall.
Underrated imo.

Last edited:
Stanley needs to be the Stanley of the last 3 months not the previous 3 years. Its that simple.
Abbott is good depth coverage and probably wont see another contract perhaps but is relatively cheap insurance and has shown somme ability in his 4 games.

Simpson I like as a long term development. He's cost nothing other than a FS pick and has time in hand when he gets the ball. Needs to build more size and tank and is still 19 I think. Has time now to build more and he has skills at this level. Not gonna displace Fyfe from AA squad anytime soon but not everyone will be NAt Fyfe.

And Jones gets another year to build on his craft. AS a rookie getting game is good value on return and he's flashed so now has the time to build those flashes into more consistent performances.

And im sure all signings were cost effective.

GO Catters

Stanley needs to be the Stanley of the last 3 months not the previous 3 years. Its that simple.

Yep. Stanley seems a confidence player. He is now our undisputed number 1 ruck. With the new contract he knows his position is stable. Fingers crossed he can play all of 2019 as he did his last games.

We get the contracts for fringe players so so wrong.

Waybill RIP
Buzza
Parsons
Zuthrie
Simpson

Why give Simpson two years? Completely unnecessary. I mean I don't have Narkle or Fogarty in my best 22 and both would be miles ahead of Simpson in similar roles.

Going to be tough next year at delisting time when very ordinary footballers in Abbott, Parsons, Zuthrie and Simpson are all contracted. Gee whiz.

We get the contracts for fringe players so so wrong.

Waybill RIP
Buzza
Parsons
Zuthrie
Simpson

Why give Simpson two years? Completely unnecessary. I mean I don't have Narkle or Fogarty in my best 22 and both would be miles ahead of Simpson in similar roles.

Going to be tough next year at delisting time when very ordinary footballers in Abbott, Parsons, Zuthrie and Simpson are all contracted. Gee whiz.
Have to agree on Simpson, I would've only given him a 1 year extension given all the departures... But who knows, maybe they see something we don't, he really needs a lot of gym time to see if there is improvements, but he does seem miles behind Fogs, Narkle, Parfitt... miles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back