List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really ? By asking to go home and then ruling out another club publically because of their ladder postition is ok to you?

Wow
Yes, provided that he doesn't then threaten to walk out on the Cats.

His obligation to us is to play the two years unless extraordinary circumstances intervene or a trade is agreed. Nothing more.

I actually think that rules need to be changed somewhat in regards to breaking contracts. Too often now the player is signing a contract then wanting out. The balance is off. I think the club needs the power that if a player wants to go home etc, the club can trade them to the club that provides the best deal.
Eg a Lions player wants to go home to Melbourne and wants the Tigers.. But the Dogs offer the Lions the best deal then he can be traded there like it or not

Will soon weed out those that are actually homesick or make the gaining club pay the overs they should do get a contracted player.

The afl have danced with the devil .. they have encouraged movement... they would be loving all this news this week... but in doing so.. they have tipped the power towards players..

I can see both sides...
for a start I think the draft is now getting to the point of redundancy.. just this year the mature lower level comp deals have been introduced. FSons is a compromise but one most realise that it brings some history to a sterile busines now...but Academies and NGA's.. its just getting too compromised.And if these new comp picks were in last year.. would WC just have traded for Kelly pre draft?

The Draft and SC system is social mechanism built on denying players rights .. created to protect the clubs from themselves ... but it only works well when most players are tied to the club they are contracted to fro a period of time..to redress talent inequity. For a long period players stayed where they were drafted to... whereas now it would seem contracts now only serve to be a guarantee of payment for players so they can get a bank loan.. sot of.."Sure I'll go in the draft but as soon as I can I'll will select the club I want to be at"

And there is talk for more change ..It would seem FA at 6 years is coming .. more fa means it may work better ... so perhaps the AFL can tie it into clubs being able to trade players in contract in their first few years.. after all once you have put your time in FA is just and fair ... but players demanding stuff when they have only been in the comp two minutes is just lacking an appreciation of how the comp works and needs to work for its survival .. its putting self before the comp ..and the bedrock that supports it...and yes there is always reasons.. but it would seem the reasons are more excuse than anything else.

The clubs too have played a part here. There is yin without yang. Does anyone think Kelly would have gone this way if he had not had a ear worm tick , tick , ticking him all year about ..we will get you back. ..dont worry Geelong will take what we offer them..

So maybe player wanting to move in the first few years dont get to choose clubs .. if the demand a move they pick a state... although this would not really help Geelong too much if a player wants them .. it would nearly always favour the bottom Melb clubs... where as in states where there is only two teams there is a decided advantage.. maybe one clubs doesn't even want the player , at worst a 50/50 at having the best pick....

Last edited:

That’s one interpretation...another might be “regardless of what you decide to do Tim, and I won’t judge either way, I think this is the best move for our kids and particularly our son to be with a familiar support network.” We’re trying to put a picture together with 5% of the jigsaw pieces...don’t be too absolute about things and put your emotion aside.
Hear hear, well said. I don't blame her in the slightest.

Being a trailing spouse is far, far harder than being the employee.

“He said, ‘I will stay at Geelong or go to West Coast’. But I don’t want to go to a club down the bottom of the ladder because Geelong are a good club.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Then sign for 5 at gfc. Or like burton inforned hes traded while overseas, let our fingers do the talking too.

He isnt going anywhere now, he will be at Geelong next year. For starters Wells isnt stupid and he has already stated he will seek the best deal for GFC, WC arent going to be able to do better than pick 11 and therefore Wells will decline any offers. TK wont play for Freo so end talks now, not leaving.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like everything surrounding this guy is toxic. His manager being a jerk, other certain persons that will go unnamed, and now the Eagles CEO has chipped in being an absolute w*nker. I'm close to done. Is this good for our club? He hinted of arrogance when he got to the club (remember the almost ridiculous comments he made about joining the Dangerwoodlett midfield? He acted like he'd barely heard of any of them) and it's been toxic ever since. I don't like people that don't give back to a club that took him when he was overlooked more than once by so many others...you would think there was some mutual commitment involved. Anyway, I don't actually blame *him*. I have another scapegoat.

Still, if he goes...good riddance?

Just when we've been bemoaning the lack of chemistry within the playing group and have been looking for them to pull together next year.......

Heh. That's an interesting take on it. I like it. Hopefully Joel will be looking at this through a team Captain's eyes and rallying the troops off-season accordingly.

Heh. That's an interesting take on it. I like it. Hopefully Joel will be looking at this through a team Captain's eyes and rallying the troops off-season accordingly.

It's not hard to imagine that he's alienating the playing group with his antics, and almost nobody will believe his sincerity next year or want him to 'have their back'

I agree with every bit bar the last part. Kelly does have every right to not want to go to Freo - and let's face it, Lyon can be a divisive character.
I have no issue with him being reluctant about Freo or preferring West Coast, but don't piss into the wind and tell us it's raining with 'family reasons' if you're not willing to accept an option (to date the best offer we have) to get you home. Loses its punch I feel.

The first thing you learn about negotiation (obviously you haven't done it or learnt how to do it) is that coming with the stick to your guns no matter what attitude is the worst negotiation technique ever. Just the first no no there is. LIke I said I am really glad you aren't negotiating for Geelong.
20 years negotiating sponsorships for sporting events tells me you are very unfamiliar with dealing with circumstances such as this, we can posture all we like as a club but very very unlikely we are going to get pick 10 or under, so we may get better then 20 & 22, I would be shooting for 20 and their 1st rd 2019 but more likely to get 22 and 1st rd 2019 next year, but we dont really know what West Coast have offered thus far to make an accurate assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back