Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Weird trade IMO, in terms of needs for the respective clubs and opportunity for both players.

Why do people keep saying this is a weird trade for Melbourne? WE NEEDED ANOTHER RUCKMAN! We have nothing if Gawn goes down and it's been stated that we will trial 2 rucks.

Dom Tyson is also getting severely underrated here, he will be best 22 at North and he'll be an excellent contributor to their midfield.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To be honest a lot more than I thought we`d get.

Seems like an upgrade on the Pedersen (who respectfully carved out a solid career) Gysberts trade. Neither best 22 at their current sides but should get a chance at their new sides.

Tyson is average but is a worthwhile addition to the inside midfield of most clubs bar the Dees, while Preuss is average but is very raw and if there was ever a player that was like Preuss in the early days it was Gawn...

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Why do people keep saying this is a weird trade for Melbourne? WE NEEDED ANOTHER RUCKMAN! We have nothing if Gawn goes down and it's been stated that we will trial 2 rucks.

Because generally young players don't get traded (or agree to get traded) when there's not a clear(er) best 22 pathway for them.

If Preuss was happy being a depth player for now, why not just stay at North?

Can't really see Tyson really adding anything different to North midfield, either, and doesn't have the athleticism or skillset to play effectively as anything other than an inside mid. He's a slightly more affluent man's Anthony Miles. He hasn't really improved his chances of getting a game every week by being traded IMO.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
So you will pick up TT and Bailey Scott with points. Are you upgrading a rookie with your third selection?

I daresay we'll just draft at the back end... IIRC we've got five picks worth points and five list spots (I'm assuming we'll delist Morgan). Three of those will go to the end of the draft once we match on the other two list spots and we'd draft best available, I'd say with a view to a small forward and a back up ruckman (it might be four picks/spots with two more to draft at the back end now I think about it).

Our only rookie worth an upgrade (granted we cleared out most of our rookies) is Zurhaar but he signed an extension for the rookie list this season so we can always do that next year.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I daresay we'll just draft at the back end... IIRC we've got five picks worth points and five list spots (I'm assuming we'll delist Morgan). Three of those will go to the end of the draft once we match on the other two list spots and we'd draft best available, I'd say with a view to a small forward and a back up ruckman (it might be four picks/spots with two more to draft at the back end now I think about it).

Our only rookie worth an upgrade (granted we cleared out most of our rookies) is Zurhaar but he signed an extension for the rookie list this season so we can always do that next year.
Fair enough. So you would have used the pick you gave to Melb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Would have been used for points but the pick after covers it.
Yep. So your first live pick after TT and Scott will be lower than if you had not given the sweetener to Melb.

No biggie, but means your first live pick is right down the arse end of the draft.

Tyson for Preuss and Clarke is probably overs for North, but coach Scott obviously thought there was a deficiency with your contested mids, so did what he could to address it. He will definitely get plenty of the ball inside.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Weird trade IMO, in terms of needs for the respective clubs and opportunity for both players.

Needs? We were desperste for a backup ruckman and we now have a very good one.

Our game is very much based on contested posessions and winning clearances, having a ruckman get first hands to it is obviously important, if we were to lose Gawn during the season then we would be in trouble, preuss gives us insurance if that were to happen.

Weird decision by Preuss imo though.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Yep. So your first live pick after TT and Scott will be lower than if you had not given the sweetener to Melb.

No biggie, but means your first live pick is right down the arse end of the draft.

Tyson for Preuss and Clarke is probably overs for North, but coach Scott obviously thought there was a deficiency with your contested mids, so did what he could to address it. He will definitely get plenty of the ball inside.

We’re talking less than a hundred points... it doesn’t really matter.

You’re talking to me I think as if I think it was a bad trade, I don’t. I’m not convinced Preuss is that good and I’m glad to see the back of Clarke (who was also OOC). I think Dom will prove more valuable.

Not too fussed on draft position anyway, Thomas/Scott is a good haul draft wise, if we lose 15 or so spots and get a back up ruck plus a speculative it’s not much of a drop when we’ve already added Polec/Pittard/Tyson/Hall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back