List Mgmt. 2018 Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If thats the strategy, then fine. But what this does to the player, and the use of the media to grandstand is not winning any friends. Which is maybe a smart move if you're trying to get the final pieces for a flag on a budget.

But this makes no sense, and borders on unprofessional.

I think the frequently used ‘no player will want to go there’ is also a load of rubbish.

If we don’t get Hogan I’d have to imagine there was more to it then purely football.

Hey Demons fans. I Just wanted to respectfully share my 2 cents from the other side of the fence regarding Hogan.

Its clear that Melbourne is driving this trade to get done, not us. I just heard on the radio that MFC have publicly stated that 5 & 23 would get the deal done. We don't have 5 as you're all aware, so it seems that Mahoney is trying to force us to offload Neale which I find strange. I don't know of any other situation where one list manager of a club has openly dictated where the contracted player of another club should go (Freo), and for how much (Brisbane).

In the end, Freo is going to do what's in the best interests for Freo, not Melbourne. You guys want to get rid of Hogan more than we want to get rid of Neale and it seems that Bell is prepared to walk away if the terms aren't resonable for our club first and foremost.

For the record I still think a trade will be done. I'd love to have Hogan come in as he's an absolute gun providing his foot will hold up. I agree with you all when you say that we should pay a fair price for a talent such as him. The media beat up is over the top and hopefully the cool heads at the clubs will prevail.
Freo offered 1.5m a year to Hogan. It's a godfather offer and Melbourne took it as an opportunity to improve the list considering Hogan's high value. Few clubs throw that kind of money around without an absolute intent to get their guy to their club.

Melbourne know that this deal could only work if Neale departs, which looks highly likely. Just as Melbourne know that we can only get May if Hogan departs. Gold Coast obviously want pick 5 for May and that's how the stalemate was created.

GDay lads.
Bell was thrust into the role. I think his training was watching the movie ‘Draft Day’.

That said Bell is no idiot. There’s an end goal here. He’s playing the laws of supply and demand.

Lastly, not sure how Freo keep getting mentioned as holding up proceedings of other deals. That the biggest kid of nonsense I keep hearing. We’re not here to facilitate other deals.

If Melbourne wooed May on the premise they’d trade Hogan? Well I see that as a major **** up by Melbourne. They openly chased May and even said they can’t afford both. I mean seriously? As if Freo were just going to hand over 2 firsts at the drop of a hat.

We’re also within our rights to squeeze more out of Brisbane.

I think it will all get done but I can also see Melbourne taking 11 and 23 now.

If Neale gets done for 5 and change I can see the offer just being 5.

Despite the bluffing I do honestly feel there’s a seriousness in not going hard at Hogan.

Some big if's there.

Hogan is contracted and Melb and Hogan are happy to stay. Dees have a price, and if freo dont cough up (after chasing for so many years) then bad luck to them.
May is also contracted, and I am pretty sure other teams are into him. If Hogan stays and then Lever comes back into the side, there is no desparate "need" for May.

also may can leave next year and GC get compo. Dees core group are under 24 so plenty of years, doesn't have to come this year.

If Hogan stays and Neale leaves, how will that go down?

GDay lads.
Bell was thrust into the role. I think his training was watching the movie ‘Draft Day’.

That said Bell is no idiot. There’s an end goal here. He’s playing the laws of supply and demand.

Lastly, not sure how Freo keep getting mentioned as holding up proceedings of other deals. That the biggest kid of nonsense I keep hearing. We’re not here to facilitate other deals.

If Melbourne wooed May on the premise they’d trade Hogan? Well I see that as a major **** up by Melbourne. They openly chased May and even said they can’t afford both. I mean seriously? As if Freo were just going to hand over 2 firsts at the drop of a hat.

Despite the bluffing I do honestly feel there’s a seriousness in not going hard at Hogan.

Kinda like you guys wooing hogan, and then trading the pick that would of satisfied our needs, that’s a utensil up.

We are in our rights to squeeze you guys, can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Some big if's there.

Hogan is contracted and Melb and Hogan are happy to stay. Dees have a price, and if freo dont cough up (after chasing for so many years) then bad luck to them.
May is also contracted, and I am pretty sure other teams are into him. If Hogan stays and then Lever comes back into the side, there is no desparate "need" for May.

also may can leave next year and GC get compo. Dees core group are under 24 so plenty of years, doesn't have to come this year.

If Hogan stays and Neale leaves, how will that go down?

There’s big ifs everywhere.

That all said your player manager came out saying the deal would be one of the largest. First error.

He counted his chickens.

Kinda like you guys wooing hogan, and then trading the pick that would of satisfied our needs, that’s a utensil up.

We are in our rights to squeeze you guys, can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Oh I completely agree. It’s exactly what we’re doing with Neale.

GDay lads.

One of the things I noticed about Melbourne's turnaround is that we stopped the bullshit crowing in the trade and draft periods and did what was best for us as a club. One of those things is looking after players who want a move, the other is accepting that individual deals are less important than the end result. Its something Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast and Sydney have all done well over the past decade, and something perennial strugglers seem to have a hard time with.

The truly crazy logic here from Fremantle is that Neale is worth more than Hogan. Everything else is just your incompetent admin team making the same mistakes Freo has made for the past 25 years.

Nobody wants to think their club is performing poorly off field, its always the last guy's fault.

Sadly, in this instance, its the new guy's fault. Bell's macho posturing with his ludicrous offer is just plain dumb. As you say - thrust into the role, not particularly qualified. He will learn, but its a shame for the Dockers that it may cost you your best chance at a quality KPF.

Melbourne is happy to trade Hogan for unders to help him get home and help us facilitate a trade for May. They won't consider publicly announcing our offer for May as a * up - Mahoney is pretty well known as someone with whom you can get a deal done. Melksham for overs, Hibberd for unders. Lever for overs, Kolodjashnij for unders. If a player wants to leave, we'll let them go provided the deal is useful to us. May is worth way less than Hogan, but a happy May is worth more than an unhappy Hogan - so who you gonna call? Adelaide would have won the grand final in '17 if they had offered the same deal for Gibbs that they caved on 12 months later. The ends are more important than the means.

Fremantle's behaviour has been pretty hysterical, and you can backslap Belly and Rosich as much as you like - but will it actually lead to the kind of success that has eluded Fremantle for so many years? It seems unlikely.

One of the things I noticed about Melbourne's turnaround is that we stopped the bullshit crowing in the trade and draft periods and did what was best for us as a club. One of those things is looking after players who want a move, the other is accepting that individual deals are less important than the end result. Its something Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast and Sydney have all done well over the past decade, and something perennial strugglers seem to have a hard time with.

The truly crazy logic here from Fremantle is that Neale is worth more than Hogan. Everything else is just your incompetent admin team making the same mistakes Freo has made for the past 25 years.

Nobody wants to think their club is performing poorly off field, its always the last guy's fault.

Sadly, in this instance, its the new guy's fault. Bell's macho posturing with his ludicrous offer is just plain dumb. As you say - thrust into the role, not particularly qualified. He will learn, but its a shame for the Dockers that it may cost you your best chance at a quality KPF.

Melbourne is happy to trade Hogan for unders to help him get home and help us facilitate a trade for May. They won't consider publicly announcing our offer for May as a **** up - Mahoney is pretty well known as someone with whom you can get a deal done. Melksham for overs, Hibberd for unders. Lever for overs, Kolodjashnij for unders. If a player wants to leave, we'll let them go provided the deal is useful to us. May is worth way less than Hogan, but a happy May is worth more than an unhappy Hogan - so who you gonna call? Adelaide would have won the grand final in '17 if they had offered the same deal for Gibbs that they caved on 12 months later. The ends are more important than the means.

Fremantle's behaviour has been pretty hysterical, and you can backslap Belly and Rosich as much as you like - but will it actually lead to the kind of success that has eluded Fremantle for so many years? It seems unlikely.

I don’t mind Melbourne or your posters but don’t talk like Melbourne are supremely above Freo.

We both have claims to being basket cases over the last 25 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind Melbourne or your posters but don’t talk like Melbourne are supremely above Freo.

We are like two people stuck in a well. Melbourne is climbing out very slowly, but Freo is digging further in the belief that tunneling through to the other side of the earth is a quicker way out.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but given Hogan stays is it as simple as moving T’Mac back to the backline and having Sam W and Hogan as our forward targets. This means we do not require May. Also, I’ve hated Scully ever since he deserted us, but gee there is some upside about getting him back for his outside run. His tank is phenomenal.

If 25 years is a relevant sample, Hawks can join in too. I think though Tulip was speaking of the now and to some extent the guessable future and on that I don’t think he said anything wildly controversial? Honestly not sure.

Yes - as I said - Melbourne's rise up the leader directly correlates to a holistic view of our list management.

The kind that really successful clubs in the recent past have adopted.

Yes - as I said - Melbourne's rise up the leader directly correlates to a holistic view of our list management.

The kind that really successful clubs in the recent past have adopted.

That and a stack of low draft picks and those players starting to gel.

Don’t kid yourself buddy.

The wheel turns for all clubs and your ‘holistic’ approach has only now seen your club play finals for the first time in a while.

We are like two people stuck in a well. Melbourne is climbing out very slowly, but Freo is digging further in the belief that tunneling through to the other side of the earth is a quicker way out.

Maybe Melbourne are propping themselves on Freo’s shoulders bit the well is 20m deep.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but given Hogan stays is it as simple as moving T’Mac back to the backline and having Sam W and Hogan as our forward targets. This means we do not require May. Also, I’ve hated Scully ever since he deserted us, but gee there is some upside about getting him back for his outside run. His tank is phenomenal.

There is 0% chance that tmac goes back to def. Hogan will play HB before tmac goes down there.

Hogan cannot be played out of the goal square. he gets double/triple teamed and the ball goes out of our 50 quicker than it came in. we lost sooo many games because of this.
You didnt notice a certain trend as soon as hogan went out of the side?

Hogan has a huge tank and is a good field kick. He needs to be rotated through HB and HF, with tmac and Weid forward.

If Hogan is ever played out of the goal square again, i'll ******* vomit.

That and a stack of low draft picks and those players starting to gel.

Don’t kid yourself buddy.

The wheel turns for all clubs and your ‘holistic’ approach has only now seen your club play finals for the first time in a while.

Funny how those low draft picks haven’t done a whole heap for clubs like Carlton and Freo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back