List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 #2: Rankine / Lukosius / Rozee / Hately, I'm knocking Woodcock out the box, daily!

Predict the Adelaide board's melt level after the draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Ranko is the best in this draft. The advantage Luko has at his age group is his tank. Poor mark overhead and not a contested player. Also not a quick turn of pace .... Lynch type footballer or the Giraffe from Port Adelaide
Poor overhead and not contested........ LOL

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Mate I’m an Eagles supporter. Have you watched him play????He’s going to be solid but in my opinion not a stand out like people are professing. In the mould of Justin Westoff
I've seen him play plenty of times, more than you by the sounds.

Hes a skinny kid playing against men, and holding his end of the bargain.

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
R
I just keep picturing Rankine in Crows colours turning it on and exciting the crowd with freakish Betts like moves. He would look fantastic in Crows jumper.

I would still like to have 3 picks in this draft inside 25 but Rankine first up would be exceptional. Even if we stay with current selections I still think we are in great position. With the track record that our club has in recruiting and player development, this draft could set us up for years to come.

If we keep 4 picks I would not be surprised if we pick a tall with one of the picks.
Rankine will be gone by our pick

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I just keep picturing Rankine in Crows colours turning it on and exciting the crowd with freakish Betts like moves. He would look fantastic in Crows jumper.

I would still like to have 3 picks in this draft inside 25 but Rankine first up would be exceptional. Even if we stay with current selections I still think we are in great position. With the track record that our club has in recruiting and player development, this draft could set us up for years to come.

If we keep 4 picks I would not be surprised if we pick a tall with one of the picks.
I reckon the only tall we will pick is Darcy Fort

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Mate I’m an Eagles supporter. Have you watched him play. He’s going to be solid but in my opinion not a stand out like people are professing
So you've seen a tall physically under developed 17/18 year old playing against men, it's not all about the present in drafting talls it's the future projection that recruiters see, obviously you've missed his dominance against his peers in his age group.

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've seen him play plenty of times, more than you by the sounds.

Hes a skinny kid playing against men, and holding his end of the bargain.
I’ve seen him plenty of times and he’s good but at AFL level it’s a different kettle of fish... there is no guarantee. You need to have lateral speed, a good overhead mark or pack mark as a tall to excel. Schacke, Weitering, Boyd, McArtin all had massive wraps toooo!!!!!

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I’ve seen him plenty of times and he’s good but at AFL level it’s a different kettle of fish... there is no guarantee. You need to have lateral speed, a good overhead mark or pack mark as a tall to excel. Schacke, Weitering, Boyd, McArtin all had massive wraps toooo!!!!!
And those kids will all be very good players. Tom Boyd won his side a GF, Weitering has been stunted at a rubbish club and McCartin has been ruined by concussion.

Luko is great overhead and has great lateral movement for a guy his size. Add to that his field kicking is Walker-esq.

I will be amazed if he doesn't become a very very good AFL player.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
And please tell me which one has a similar game style, endurance and athleticism along with elite foot skills in the players you named. I'll give you a tip, none of them. The 3 forwards are stay at home forwards with questionable athleticism and Weitering is a defender that has been absolutely butchered by Carlton.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I know but the constant contract distractions that comes with them is ridiculous.. The rumours, the innuendo, the Vic media lighting fires... we don’t need that

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hamish has always picked the best player regardless. The only caveat is if theres 2 guys at a similar talent level you go home grown.

If its Rozee or Smith, you then pick Smith.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ranko is the best in this draft. The advantage Luko has at his age group is his tank. Poor mark overhead and not a contested player. Also not a quick turn of pace .... Lynch type footballer or the Giraffe from Port Adelaide
luko isn’t poor overhead

Go watch the SA v WA game R1 of champs

Brained then overhead

Give him 3 years like any key fwd and will be very ok overhead

If we got pick 2 would we pick Luko or Rankine??

Luko without even giving the question a 2nd thought. We've been very transparent that on our draft list, he's number 1.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
So you've seen a tall physically under developed 17/18 year old playing against men, it's not all about the present in drafting talls it's the future projection that recruiters see, obviously you've missed his dominance against his peers in his age group.
Chris Judd talked about this in the podcast The Howie Games. He felt he had most of his peers measure and then played his one and only wafl game and dominated. Then as time went on his peers started to appear and he still felt he had them covered, even more so as he had basically played before most of those had.

Its a comfort thing to be able to say ' I got you , you and you covered'

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
I'm glad I'm not the only one rating Bailey Smith. He's the best pure midfielder in the draft for mine, and I think will be more impactful and damaging at AFL level than Sam Walsh (who will be excellent himself, but perhaps not quite in that top bracket). Would just about do a pants down through Rundle Mall if we got him.

Other than that though, I'd obviously be stoked with Rankine (best player in the draft and best I've seen in all my years of watching kids), though there's always a question mark with him about work ethic and general attitudes but on his day, he will leave everyone for dead. He's got a 'switch' that nobody else in this draft has....McLeod had it, Judd had it, Ablett had it, Aker had it....elite company on talent alone...see if it can translate.

If Jye Caldwell was not injured as badly as he has been then he too would have been up there in the very top bracket, many forgot what a talent he is...top 5 ability.

And I've been a big fan of Hately for a while, big bodied mid, strong overhead and can go forward. Parker/Cripps blend, not amazing skills but he's a big kick of the football and he will develop a beastly physique when fully mature. Think 6ft3 Scotty Thompson.

So I don't think we can go wrong with the hand we currently have, or if we upgrade to 5 without selling the farm we will come away with a star and possibly a second excellent player, the top 20 is pretty good, where 15-20 is more like 8-15 in prev years

YKIMS

Our pain will soon be erased
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

NFI

Only one player took more contested marks than Jack throughout the entire U18 championships. He thrives on the contest :rolleyes:

His turn of pace is just fine, but then who needs it when you can look up and hit a bloke, between two opposition players, on the tit from 50m away off a single step :cool:

NFI

The way he reads the ball in flight, gets himself in the right position more often than anyone his age, his leading patterns and ability to create separation on the lead, his ability to work his man into the ground continuously until the final seconds of the game, his vision and his ability to see the play unfolding before anyone else does, not to mention his incredible skills by foot make each one of those qualities you mentioned KP's needing to have to succeed at AFL level virtually redundant.

It is near unheard of for a kid his age to possess the entire package of weapons I've just mentioned, on top of being able to play the two hardest positions on the ground, CHF & CHB, as equally well as he does.

Schache, Weitering, Boyd and McCartin couldn't go with Jack for more than a half. They'd be begging for a lung transplant and questioning how they were ever rated so highly in the first place.

Not one of them has half the footy nous, half the tank, half the elite skills by foot or vision to even consider themselves in the same league as Lukosius talent-wise.

Clearly you haven't watched him all that closely o_O

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
NFI

Only one player took more contested marks than Jack throughout the entire U18 championships. He thrives on the contest :rolleyes:

His turn of pace is just fine, but then who needs it when you can look up and hit a bloke, between two opposition players, on the tit from 50m away off a single step :cool:

NFI

The way he reads the ball in flight, gets himself in the right position more often than anyone his age, his leading patterns and ability to create separation on the lead, his ability to work his man into the ground continuously until the final seconds of the game, his vision and his ability to see the play unfolding before anyone else does, not to mention his incredible skills by foot make each one of those qualities you mentioned KP's needing to have to succeed at AFL level virtually redundant.

It is near unheard of for a kid his age to possess the entire package of weapons I've just mentioned, on top of being able to play the two hardest positions on the ground, CHF & CHB, as equally well as he does.

Schache, Weitering, Boyd and McCartin couldn't go with Jack for more than a half. They'd be begging for a lung transplant and questioning how they were ever rated so highly in the first place.

Not one of them has half the footy nous, half the tank, half the elite skills by foot or vision to even consider themselves in the same league as Lukosius talent-wise.

Clearly you haven't watched him all that closely o_O
I have watched the eagles finals series very closely and he is a Tom Lynch from the Crows with flaky hands . He doesn’t have a clunk marking action like McGovern. I’m not as sold on him as being a gun as some are on here . I prefer a DeGoi type forward who plays with force and have speed. There have been many forwards drafted very high based on their showings in the U18s but haven’t bought anything extra to the AFL and I’d rather not take that risk with a skinny forward with flaky hands . Had a very underwhelming Finals series , just saying , and SANFL players are not great competition.

Like previous poster mentioned where would Boyd, MCCartin, Patton, Weitering be going in the draft today after what we have seen at AFL level , definetely not top 3 picks like they once where and that’s what the poster is trying to say not that he won’t make it , just in his view will not be a gun of the Competition and at pick 1,2 or 3 that’s what you would at least be hoping for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back