List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone should consider, for a moment, just how hard Port Adelaide (and likely Adelaide) are pushing to get one of the picks that will net them Lukosius, Rankine, or (I believe to a lesser extent) Rozee. Those two clubs are apparently throwing everything out there just for this one pick.

Now what happens if they don’t get the pick they want? What happens if we don’t trade pick 4, and draft one of those three? Do you think they’ll respond with an “darn, we got so close but oh well” and drop everything? Do you think all of the effort and burned picks thus far (in the case of Port) will be tossed aside with a “better luck next time”?
No, of course it won’t. They’ll be in the ear of the SA kid from day one - hell, they will probably even have spoken to them in the interviews and detailed plans to bring them home. They’ll be arranging their salary cap to allow for a big offer, in time for their original 2 year contract to end, eagerly waiting for the opportunity to finally get one of the coveted players.

Does this mean that they’ll definitely be able to pry them free? Of course not. But I don’t think this is a “normal” instance of the ‘go home factor’ when we’ve already seen just a snippet of how far they’re willing to go. I would tread cautiously with picking one of these players, moreso than we have been previously with other interstate kids over the years. Especially when you combine this high level of SA club interest with the current climate of young players regularly demanding trades home after only 2 years.

If this trade period has shown anything, it’s that players aren’t afraid to abandon a lowly club to go home or chase a flag. If King/Smith or whoever else is considered only slightly worse on our draft rankings than whichever SA kid is available, then I would seriously consider avoiding the potential headache associated with that. The last thing our club needs is to draft an elite young kid and have him walk out on us, 2 years into our re-rebuild. How do you think that would go down with the impatient fans?

Of course, we shouldn’t have to worry about something like this, but the fact is that this is the reality of the modern AFL, and needs to be seriously considered just like any other aspect of their game when deciding who to draft.

a5b62s.jpg
Your talents are wasted here mate. They should get you running the Saints Twitter account. Whoever does it now is ordinary.

Some weird s**t happening this year.

Firstly, until it's confirmed, don't take rumours or 'talk' as a trade being done.

Just look at Lobb and Hogan.

Just because a player nominates a club, doesn't meant it will get done, granted it usually does.

But until the paperwork is lodged, it ain't done.

Scully for 58 sounds suss. Anything cn happen.

Don't know anything and not getting hopes up, but I reckon there might be a few twists in the tale yet.

I think everyone should consider, for a moment, just how hard Port Adelaide (and likely Adelaide) are pushing to get one of the picks that will net them Lukosius, Rankine, or (I believe to a lesser extent) Rozee. Those two clubs are apparently throwing everything out there just for this one pick.

Now what happens if they don’t get the pick they want? What happens if we don’t trade pick 4, and draft one of those three? Do you think they’ll respond with an “darn, we got so close but oh well” and drop everything? Do you think all of the effort and burned picks thus far (in the case of Port) will be tossed aside with a “better luck next time”?
No, of course it won’t. They’ll be in the ear of the SA kid from day one - hell, they will probably even have spoken to them in the interviews and detailed plans to bring them home. They’ll be arranging their salary cap to allow for a big offer, in time for their original 2 year contract to end, eagerly waiting for the opportunity to finally get one of the coveted players.

Does this mean that they’ll definitely be able to pry them free? Of course not. But I don’t think this is a “normal” instance of the ‘go home factor’ when we’ve already seen just a snippet of how far they’re willing to go. I would tread cautiously with picking one of these players, moreso than we have been previously with other interstate kids over the years. Especially when you combine this high level of SA club interest with the current climate of young players regularly demanding trades home after only 2 years.

If this trade period has shown anything, it’s that players aren’t afraid to abandon a lowly club to go home or chase a flag. If King/Smith or whoever else is considered only slightly worse on our draft rankings than whichever SA kid is available, then I would seriously consider avoiding the potential headache associated with that. The last thing our club needs is to draft an elite young kid and have him walk out on us, 2 years into our re-rebuild. How do you think that would go down with the impatient fans?

Of course, we shouldn’t have to worry about something like this, but the fact is that this is the reality of the modern AFL, and needs to be seriously considered just like any other aspect of their game when deciding who to draft.
I think I agree. it's like whoever drafts a player has two years to convince the player to love the club enough to stay.

I'd love Rankine or the big Luc but I think they are a luxury right now we can't truly afford if we had the option to turn one pick into 2 top 15 picks, one inside top 6. Even if Victorian hero Walsh fell to 4th pick, I think I'd entertain it. I get what Gringo and others are saying though, we've got a chance to snag a legitimate game-changing, once in a lifetime star, why would we dilute the pick and just go for a blue chip star? One thing is for sure, the offer would have to be absolutely unfairly weighted our way, if it's just win win, forget it. It would have to make the other club dealing with us make some of their fans burn their membership cards and crash the BigFooty server with delicious salty melts.

So I reckon hold the pick until draft night. If no offers are forthcoming, we still end up with a great pick to snag a genuine star.

this isn't even the bias talking, but seriously if I was a good player I would 100% go to the Saints. one goes, another one sees this so he goes, all of a sudden it's a team of guns and you deliver the 2nd premiership in like 150 years or whatever. you'll go down in history. or you could go to say Essendon and be a nothing player forever. I know exactly what I'd want

I like this side. Except im not sold on Bruce, Skunk or Longer.
Imagine we get Rankine and you go with our best tall fwd say Bruce or Roma. Then instead of Skunk you have Rankine and throw Lonie on the bench.
What an opposition headache that would be having Rankine, Gresham, Lonie, Billings, Kent, Long up fwd causing havoc.
Just completely changes our fwd dynamic. Instead of being tall, slow, predictable. We become fast, creative, pressure, accountable, dangerous.
You’re not sold on Skunk??

this isn't even the bias talking, but seriously if I was a good player I would 100% go to the Saints. one goes, another one sees this so he goes, all of a sudden it's a team of guns and you deliver the 2nd premiership in like 150 years or whatever. you'll go down in history. or you could go to say Essendon and be a nothing player forever. I know exactly what I'd want

Nice try, but I think your first six words give the game up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly what Gehrig, Hammil, etc thought. Nearly worked too. They still went down in history but not like they would have wanted. No guarantees, eh.

Just glad we got our 'meat and potatoes' trades out of the way early. What I mean by that is the trades that have been signalled and obvious. Last few years we have been getting those done last minute. Usually because we were down the order of importance for other clubs to sort out. Left no time or room to do anything else.

Maybe that's it. But there is time to be there and ready if something pops out of the woodwork. Must say I am happy with what's happened. Played our limited hand well. Possibly more to come, but Pick 4 sitting there nice and pretty.

Wow! That is Damning looking back! Pelchen really was a useless piece of s**t who is still desperately trying to stay relevant by living off the glory of drafting Buddy and Roughy who were obvious choices anyway.. wonder why he doesn’t have a job in the AFL anymore?
Spo
I wasn't at the club during this time. Do you know anyone who was?

The club has struggled to draft well with lower picks for some time, but the post you drafted was merely a call to accuracy - the original poster lamented our drafting over the last five years then named a team full of blokes drafted before that.

Also, I tend to be a development guy - the idea that Geelong and Hawthorn find diamonds in the rough all the time is pretty far-fetched. No, they develop their players, which renders their draft position fairly irrelevant. To think that Tom Stewart or Blake Hardwick would be the players they currently are at St Kilda is ignoring development. Geelong and Hawthorn developed those players, while St Kilda struggles to develop players.

It's also why I don't think it makes much sense to trade established stars for draft picks before ensuring our development has improved.

I was around between 1997 and 2010, on a part time consultancy basis. I had a pretty good view of what went on in the recruiting area. The main difference, and what I still think afflicts us in this area is the lack of resources we have and can put into this area. When I started, it was JB pretty much on his own, with some contacts and networks to assist. The budget for recruiting during this time was around 70K per annum. No, I'm not joking. JB sometimes had to take players sight unseen. John Peake came on board in 2006, but there wasn't much extra help and JB started to cut back.

At least we have half a dozen or so in the team now and stronger networks, but we are still way behind the power clubs, like the dorks, WC, Geelong, Swans, Adelaide, tiggers et al. Melbourne provides us with hope. They have turned from a recruiting joke into a formidable group. The development angle is a key. Picking overlooked gems and developing them into top liners is what the previously mentioned clubs have become expert at.

GWS have also put Patton on the table...

Fmd that place is falling apart. Get on the phone to Greene, Coniglio and Jelly's manager ASAP

I reckon if you're playing there next year you are spewing with the list management so far
* that. Get Lenny out of there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back