Remove this Banner Ad

Rejigged (including Hall)

Williams, Tarrant, Thompson
MacMillan, McKay, Hall
Polec, Cunnington, Higgins
Atley, Wood, Simpkin
Turner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, Jacobs, Tyson

Anderson, Daw, McDonald, (Ahern/LDU/EVW/Garner/Dumont/Wright/Walker, Pittard)

I’d agree that 21 of those are possibilities for R1 if we have a full list available. However, I’d be prepared to bet a couple of grand that Hrovat wouldn’t be picked, in the event of no injuries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You dont need to bet me. If we have a full list and Hrovats in, we are in dire straits.

It's just a team by most games played.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rejigged (including Hall)

Williams, Tarrant, Thompson
MacMillan, McKay, Hall
Polec, Cunnington, Higgins
Atley, Wood, Simpkin
Turner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, Jacobs, Tyson

Anderson, Daw, McDonald, (Ahern/LDU/EVW/Garner/Dumont/Wright/Walker, Pittard)
Puss.

2 arm tacklers at best at half back with kick/turnover/goal Lmac as back up and Atley, Simpkin and Turner up forward. Should be good for 25 disposals, 1.5 goals and 35 pressure acts between them. Symbiosis man!

These blokes are getting games in your world ahead of Ahern, Frog and the calmest head we have in the back half EVW. Hmmm.

Yeah, nah. You posting under a heavy dose?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I had to pick a Round 1 team today;

Williams Tarrant Thompson
Vickers-Willis Daw Macmillan
Polec Jacobs Hall
Atley Wood Simpkin
Garner Brown Ziebell
R: Goldstein Cunnington Higgins
IC: Tyson, Dumont, Ahern, Anderson

Eme: Wright, Turner, McDonald

Out: Clarke Waite

In: (New) Polec Hall Pittard Tyson
Dead cert if available : EVW Jacobs
Pretty likely depending : LDU Walker Zurhaar McKay

Unknown : Garner

From Rnd 23 Out: Clarke Waite Hrovat .........on 2018 form LMac turner wright simpkin

Polec and Tyson will go straight in, and I think probably Pittard as our lack of run off half back is a major problem
Hall needs to be treated mean, like Wood, only play em if they take the 2s apart

Impossible to be confident about Jacobs but ya never know, pencil him in

Marley Tazz Pittard
Thommo Daw EVW
Dumont BJ Polec
Higgo McKay Walker
JZ BB Ahern

Goldy Cunners Tyson

Zurhaar JMac LDU Ando

Notable outs:
Atley Turner Wright LMac Hall

Want to see Hayden pretty quick too

Out: Clarke Waite

In: (New) Polec Hall Pittard Tyson
Dead cert if available : EVW Jacobs
Pretty likely depending : LDU Walker Zurhaar McKay

Unknown : Garner

From Rnd 23 Out: Clarke Waite Hrovat .........on 2018 form LMac turner wright simpkin

Polec and Tyson will go straight in, and I think probably Pittard as our lack of run off half back is a major problem
Hall needs to be treated mean, like Wood, only play em if they take the 2s apart

Impossible to be confident about Jacobs but ya never know, pencil him in

Marley Tazz Pittard
Thommo Daw EVW
Dumont BJ Polec
Higgo McKay Walker
JZ BB Ahern

Goldy Cunners Tyson

Zurhaar JMac LDU Ando

Notable outs:
Atley Turner Wright LMac Hall

Want to see Hayden pretty quick too
Yeah nah, Simpkin's just about a lock for me, even with the depth we have now.

His first half of the season this year was genuinely good, but he naturally slowed down as the year progressed. Remember too, he's really only done one full preseason and only played 35 games in the last three years of footy. Last season was the first time he'd played a full season since he was, what, 16? It's natural that he was going to slow down and then have his form drop off.

With another preseason into his legs and body, I'm tipping him, maybe not for a fully breakout/OMG season, but definitely one where he continues to improve and consistently produces the form he was showing early this year.

Something like 25 goals and 15-16 possessions a game, with two or three big games where he shows the player he will end up being along the way, is more than in his capabilities next year imo.

i hear ya....but we need players who kick goals so I think zurhaar might get a gig ahead of him
simpkin did play a bit in the middle so hard to believe he is not in our best 22
guess walker is not that likely Rnd 1 realistically

How 'bout we do this different? Pick your best 22 and then pick your best next 6 who didn't make your best 22? How good are they? For West Coast this year, given Natanui, Gaff and Sheppard didn't play in the GF it was probably Vardy, Masten, Venables, Cole, Ah Chee and Waterman? - no stars but how does that rate against our 23-28?

Depth. I'd rather Gaff, but even without him we're smashing this trade period. Would like to see more youngsters pushing up but considering we were bottom 4 in 2017, got none of our FA targets in 2017-18, I reckon we're going OK. Depth.

Can't wait for 2019.

How 'bout we do this different? Pick your best 22 and then pick your best next 6 who didn't make your best 22? How good are they? For West Coast this year, given Natanui, Gaff and Sheppard didn't play in the GF it was probably Vardy, Masten, Venables, Cole, Ah Chee and Waterman? - no stars but how does that rate against our 23-28?

Depth. I'd rather Gaff, but even without him we're smashing this trade period. Would like to see more youngsters pushing up but considering we were bottom 4 in 2017, got none of our FA targets in 2017-18, I reckon we're going OK. Depth.

Can't wait for 2019.
Based on the team I'd like to see, it would be McDonald, Wright, Ahern, Tyson, LDU, Walker. It really could be any combination of about 10 players though considering our apparent depth now.

It's finally starting to look like depth that could see us challenging not only for the 8, but maybe even the top 4.

Turner McKay EVW
Murphy Daw Polec

Higgins Cunners Ahern
Goldy Anderson Dumont

Garner Brown Jack
Hall Tarrant Wood

Simpkin LDU Tyson Scott

Turner McKay EVW
Murphy Daw Polec

Higgins Cunners Ahern
Goldy Anderson Dumont

Garner Brown Jack
Hall Tarrant Wood

Simpkin LDU Tyson Scott
Missing:
Jacobs
Thomas
Marley
The god king pittard
Zurhaar
Thommo
Walker

My attempt

M. Williams - Tarrant - EVW
Daw - Thompson - Pittard/Hall, Depending on matchup/form

Polec - Jacobs - Dumont
Goldy - Cunners - Jed

Atley - Wood - Higgins
Zurhaar - Brown - Ziebell

Int: Tyson, Walker, Ahern, MacMillan

Emerg: Thomas/Scott/McKay/Murphy

Edit: Oshit Higgo.. haha

Few unlucky.. thats good news

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams- Thompson- Ed Vickers
Pittard- Tarrant- McDonald
Dumont- Cunnington- Polec
Anderson- Wood- Higgins
Simpkin- Brown- Ziebell

Goldstein Jacobs Tyson

Int: Atley, Daw, Hall, Ahern
Emg: LDU, McKay, Zurhaar, Murphy
*Garner straight in if fit.
I really like the look of this team, not many weaknesses stand out to me. I think we can surprise even more than this year.

B: Williams - Taz - Daw
HB: Macmillan - Thompson - EVW
C: Dumont - Anderson - Polec
HF: Simpkin - Wood - Higgins
F: Hall - Brown - Ziebell
R: Goldy - Cunnington - Jacobs
I/C: Ahern - Tyson - Atley - Pittard

Emergencies: LDU, McDonald and McKay.

Plenty of unluckies.

Injuries permitting i can see us finishing anywhere in the top 6 next year. Whatever our best 22 ends up being there are no weaknesses now. Sure, our top end could be better but over 22 games depth is what matters. The only area of concern imo is the hit up forward/get out down the line marking tall which Waitey did so well. I don't think we have anyone capable of playing that to an elite or even above average level.

Is it just me or do you look at Wood at CHF and shudder? No way he is our 2nd tall, Brown will be triple teamed every time.

If we can manage to consistently field at least a few out of Garner, Ziebell, Zurhaar, Wood, Simpkin and maybe Cunners/Higgins resting in attack and get better positioning for the smalls and good leads for the talls we should have enough options to keep teams honest on Brown.

I see no reason for our forward line not to be effective as long as the guys improve set shot accuracy

Injuries permitting i can see us finishing anywhere in the top 6 next year. Whatever our best 22 ends up being there are no weaknesses now. Sure, our top end could be better but over 22 games depth is what matters. The only area of concern imo is the hit up forward/get out down the line marking tall which Waitey did so well. I don't think we have anyone capable of playing that to an elite or even above average level.
Yeah, agree that's our obvious weakness at the moment. Could probably use one more class mid as well.

I wonder how much Nick Larkey will be in consideration for that role next year. By all reports his contested marking was a feature at VFL level, we know he can hit the scoreboard, and he actually looks quite mobile considering his size, so I don't think it will be too big an issue playing both him and Brown in the same side.

I'd like to see him given a chance in whatever the pre-season is called these days at playing that CHF-type role to see where he's at and if it could work. He might still be a pre-season off, which would be fine, but we still should have a bit more of a look at him as a partner for Brown next year imo.

Shame Durdin couldn't become this for us.

Is it just me or do you look at Wood at CHF and shudder? No way he is our 2nd tall, Brown will be triple teamed every time.

I think this is spot on, with Waite's retirement CHF is where the cupboard is bare. We can't rely on Wood - too injury prone and better as a third tall. Larkey may not be physically ready and i'd suggest he is competing with Brown for Full Forward. Daw, McKay and Durdin seem to be better suited to the backline.

Perhaps with the recruitment of midfielders and half back flankers who have better disposal and pace, we won't be kicking to a contest anymore and we play a smaller more mobile forward line like the Pies. Maybe Jack plays CHF like his TAC days?

I'd also expect that with the new inclusions of Polac and Pittard and the emergence of EVW that JMac and LMac's days in defence are over. They are both better suited to play up the field.

The loss of W80 will be enormous and we will need to be innovative in our approach to structuring the forward 6.

I actually think BBB will now need to play a bit more up the ground - as that down the line marking option. Not exclusively up the ground of course as he is still very valuable in the goal square but I think he will need to spend a reasonable amount of time performing the down the line marking option.

That will enable us (force us) to play a combination of Wood, JZ, Zurhaar (and Larkey later in the year) as mobile marking forwards closer to goal. Daw will also spend around 20% of his time in the forward 50 to mix things up a bit.

This approach could work - we have more pace in the team now and we should be looking to move the ball faster with a more skilful approach.

With the acquisition of Hall, Polec, Pittard, Tyson. We have bolstered the bottom 6. So players like Hvrovat, Turner might get pushed out to become depth player. Wright might also go out as EVW will return and you add in Pittard. If Higgins can be freed up to player purely as a outside player. Maybe tyson can play this defensive small forward and inside mid rotation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back