News Stanley, Abbott, Jones and Simpson re-sign

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Well things were looking OK'ish until this news. Nothing personal against Stanley and Simpson but don't think either should have any contract extension. Stanley has had 3 years to contribute consistently and failed - for a guy that can bench press 165 kilos he sure doesn't use his body well. Any player can have a few good games - it's wrong to extrapolate and believe that will become the normal. Especially with body issues. Simpson seems like a great guy but absolutely no standout attributes for me. Jones is young and at least has some flair - so his 1 year contract extension seems reasonable. Abbott needs a big turn around in attitude and ability to be number 1 ruck. Lets see what he does.

barmy44

BigFooty Guy
May 14, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, England Test Team, Sturt
Daz is positive Smith has another year at the Cats, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

yeah, daz may be right about the contract.

like i said, just something i was told. quite a bit on zac in the crows board trade thread, and if my embed attempt works they posted this as well:

no idea who that theo guy is though!

(edit: he is a channel 7 adelaide reporter)

Last edited:

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
FFS how hard is it for the club to announce contract status for our players? The fact we have to guess and trawl through old articles to try figure it out is a joke. It's not like we are getting their monthly salaries and game day bonus information.

The following list was released 2 days ago by the AFL - I'm going to bet that they know what they are talking about (note, this was before Simpson & Jones re-signed yesterday)

Unsigned: George Horlin-Smith (unrestricted free agent), Jamaine Jones, Daniel Menzel (unrestricted free agent), Jordan Murdoch, Sam Simpson, Jackson Thurlow

The Cats have already made six delistings and traded Lincoln McCarthy to Brisbane, while adding Nathan Kreuger. Horlin-Smith looks bound for the Gold Coast, although the Suns are keen to seal his move via a trade rather than risk their Tom Lynch free agency compensation. Thurlow and Murdoch have played a fair bit of senior football and should be playing somewhere next year, and Jones was one of the heartwarming stories of 2018. Simpson is reportedly close to a new deal.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-10/unsigned-your-clubs-outofcontract-players

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Simpson?
Like Abbott kicked a couple of goals, marks and runs well. Could play CHF or extra tall defender a quite versatile tall.
Underrated imo.
No he cant play centre half forward or defender. Thats ridiculous. He is a loping dinosaur. Just cos he marked a couple of chip kicks on his chest by himself in the fifty metre arc doesnt mean sh***.

I do my best to keep up
Why were any of zuthrie, parsons, abbott and simpsom upgraded from the rookie list? That is a lot of dead wood. And then buzza as well. Gees.
Abbott was never a rookie.
GO Catters

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Not surprised by the signing of Stanley & Abbott. Going by how Geelong have been working in the trade period, they see our forward line as the biggest problem at the moment, especially the forward pressure aspect which is why we've got Dalhause and Rohan, and told Murdoch & Menzel to look elsewhere. Maybe they see Big Sav and Blicavs as possible support to Stanley & Abbott for the next few years. Smith is still out of contract next year, so I wonder what will happen to him now. Will he be delisted?
Murdoch seemed to have become a better tackler this year, shame he couldn't quite get there, apart from no right foot he has good skills, just can't string two good quarters together, let alone two good games. I hope they keep Smith, injuries to Stanley, Sav then Abbott and we might end up with Blitz and Hawk in the ruck again, I still have nightmares over Blitz in his first season being #1 ruck with Walker #2.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
No he cant play centre half forward or defender. Thats ridiculous. He is a loping dinosaur. Just cos he marked a couple of chip kicks on his chest by himself in the fifty metre arc doesnt mean sh***.

Didn't look loping to me against Richmond.
Saw him chase down one of their smalls.
He's going at 5.75 tackles a game that's elite, better than the so called pressure players.
Not bad for a 4 game player.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Murdoch seemed to have become a better tackler this year, shame he couldn't quite get there, apart from no right foot he has good skills, just can't string two good quarters together, let alone two good games. I hope they keep Smith, injuries to Stanley, Sav then Abbott and we might end up with Blitz and Hawk in the ruck again, I still have nightmares over Blitz in his first season being #1 ruck with Walker #2.
But but blicavs is a best and fairest ruckman.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
But but blicavs is a best and fairest ruckman.
I think Blitz played most of 2015 in the mid-field while Stanley played ruck, at least till he got injured. Blitz wasn't much of a #1 ruck but was a very good and consistent mid-fielder.

Back