Did you start Uni/Tafe later than most?

How old when you started studying post high school?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I just enrolled in a 7 month online bridging course to get an ATAR, so that I can start uni by semester 2 next year.

I will be 24. By the time I finish studying, if all goes well, I'll be 28/29.

Who else started studying later than most? I won't lie, it feels kind of daunting that I'll probably be one of the oldest of the group. Anyone else have experience with being an undergraduate?

Good for you mate. Best thing I ever did.

Wouldn't worry about being 24. I went back for a 2nd time at 33. There are a lot more mature age students at university these days compared to when I was there initially. I went to uni straight out of school but ended up regretting it as I all I wanted to do was travel.

Was a little daunting at first going back but you'll soon realise you're probably in a much better head space than a lot of those 18-19 y/o.

I started at 21. I left school at 16 at the end of year 10 and did what you are doing with the bridging course. I didn't feel out of place at all. There are people of all ages at uni.

I went to uni at 27. Don't stress there are people of all ages there.

If you are anxious about being 'the old guy' maybe enroll in night classes. The average age of them are much higher as most of the students work full time, and are often 30+

Depending on how old you look people may not even notice

Cant see any issues with it

I think the mature aged student percentage differs from course to course, noticed in a history lecture the other day there was a significant amount of 30+

I started earlier than most (16), but there were lots of people in my (undergraduate) degree in their 20s, and a few in their 30s. I think the oldest person was in their 40s .
Age is just a number afterall
All the best with your studies ioppolo :)

I started uni at 22 (5 years out of school as we finish at 17 in QLD), and did not look or feel out of place. I could still relate to the fresh school leavers, as well as my fellow mature aged students. I am considering finishing the last year and a half part time online to work full time, as my casual fast food job is testing my patience and bank account.

Did a bridging course and then a semester of Sports Science at 18/19. Then I went back at 21/22 to do my current course. I'll be 26 when I graduate at the end of the year.

Don't worry about your age mate. You'll find that a lot of Uni students are actually mid-late 20s or early 30s.

I started studying a few years ago through open universities and I'll be graduating early next year just shy of 30. Having worked for the last 10 years in a business environment made assignments etc. So much easier as I had real world experience. The hard bit is getting back into academic writing.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was 26 when I first went to Uni

Wouldn't have wanted to have gone any earlier, to be honest - I also don't think it's a great idea for kids to go straight from high school to uni -

I have a cousin who went straight into a 4 year teaching degree from high school and then straight into a job at her old primary school - that's depressing s**t - she would have no real perspective to give to her students

Yeah I find going straight from HS to uni odd - after school the last thing I wanted was more study. Also it's a very young age to make such a big decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was 26 when I first went to Uni

Wouldn't have wanted to have gone any earlier, to be honest - I also don't think it's a great idea for kids to go straight from high school to uni -

I have a cousin who went straight into a 4 year teaching degree from high school and then straight into a job at her old primary school - that's depressing s**t - she would have no real perspective to give to her students
Can't agree with this more. Even when I was in High School I felt pretty certain the vast majority of young teachers had absolutely no idea what they were talking about when it came to life and career advice. Same deal with politicians.

Only took a year off. Glad I did, gave perspective and I didn't have horrendous grades from mucking around in first year like most of my mates. Got to start all my study habits fresh which is also good.

ITT I learned that I have nothing to worry about. Still nervous AF

Don't be nervous. It is just like going to school again. The first year is pretty cruisy to help you get your bearings.

What are you wanting to study?

Don't be nervous. It is just like going to school again. The first year is pretty cruisy to help you get your bearings.

What are you wanting to study?
Something in forensics & criminology side of things. I have a 7~ month online bridging course to pass to get there though

Started at 29 - one year left of five years of study with a family, mortgage and work to juggle. Thinking back, I'd agree with a lot of posters here in saying I'm glad I did things that way even if it's a bit harder as someone with a family. Can fairly confidently say I approached study with a totally different mindset as a mature student than I would have straight out of school and I have gotten much more out of it than I would have as an 18 year old. I think a lot of people would be in the same boat but because they dismiss the idea of higher education after leaving secondary school and never revisit it, they think it's just not for them when in reality, they are probably in a better position to do it than earlier.

Never too late. I was a bit lost as 21 year old and my old tennis coach sat me down and told me to relax, there’s plenty of time. Went through lots of options and just started trying everything, mostly talking to people and reading textbooks. Never thought I’d go to uni but went back at 22 and now have a year to go.

For those that went back to uni at a later age 30+~, did you do so to further your current education to progress your current career or so that you could get yourself into a career?

Might be a hard question to answer without the perspective of different ages but do you think it was harder/easier to find a job after completing your degree as a mature student?

I'm really old and have recently graduated. I started in my 40s. Had a wonderful experience! Sadly, it hasn't made me more employable, even though I finished with an average of 80%. I did a history major, which isn't that easy to 'sell'. I'm currently doing volunteer work in a library. Am thinking about going back next year to do a post grad in library studies, which will marry well with my experience and my other degree.

Age was never an issue with my peers, other than first year.

I'm really old and have recently graduated. I started in my 40s. Had a wonderful experience! Sadly, it hasn't made me more employable, even though I finished with an average of 80%. I did a history major, which isn't that easy to 'sell'. I'm currently doing volunteer work in a library. Am thinking about going back next year to do a post grad in library studies, which will marry well with my experience and my other degree.

Age was never an issue with my peers, other than first year.

The bottom line is especially true. First year has a shitload of recent school graduates who really don't want to be there but are just there to do 'something' and half of them drop out by 2nd year. In 2nd year it'll be a nice mixture of ages and who knows about 3rd year seeming I never made it....
:rolleyes:

Am definitely considering returning but the thought of starting again is somewhat depressing.

The bottom line is especially true. First year has a shitload of recent school graduates who really don't want to be there but are just there to do 'something' and half of them drop out by 2nd year. In 2nd year it'll be a nice mixture of ages and who knows about 3rd year seeming I never made it....
:rolleyes:

Am definitely considering returning but the thought of starting again is somewhat depressing.

Just do it! when you go to your graduation ceremony you will be so proud of yourself. There were days I thought I would never finish. Just do one or two units at a time. What were you studying?

I was initially doing journalism but kept picking history electives. In my first year of journalism you had young female school leaders who had no idea. "I don't care what I do, as long as I'm on television!" I actually found it really rewarding to see some young people go on to do amazing things.I was honored when some of them respected me enough to come to me for advice. There can be a lot of rewards as a mature age student, as long as you also have an open and accepting mind.

Back