Players who averaged 20d + 1g in 2017 & 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Didak averaged 25 and kicked 40 one year, Leon may have done similar.

Leon Davis, 2009 - 20.48 disposals, 1.52 goals per game, All-Australian forward pocket (was then an All-Australian half back in 2011, too)

Alan Didak, 2010 - 24.58 disposals and 1.71 goals per game, All-Australian half forward flank
Alan Didak, 2009 - 25.50 disposals and 1.00 goals per game
Alan Didak, 2008 - 22.33 disposals and 1.33 goals per game

Paul Chapman (obviously not a Collingwood player, but still) was the recent king of this - Over 9 seasons from 2006-2014 (176 games), he averaged 22.86 disposals and 1.41 goals per game. He only dropped below the 20-and-1 mark twice over a season in that time - in 2010 where he averaged a career high 28.17 disposals and 0.96 goals per game (along with a career-high 0.96 goal assists per game, while spending more time in the midfield than ever before or since), and in 2014, where he averaged 19.90 disposals and 1.10 goals per game (in his first of two final seasons at Essendon).

Leon Davis, 2009 - 20.48 disposals, 1.52 goals per game, All-Australian forward pocket (was then an All-Australian half back in 2011, too)

Alan Didak, 2010 - 24.58 disposals and 1.71 goals per game, All-Australian half forward flank

Paul Chapman (obviously not a Collingwood player, but still) was the recent king of this - Over 9 seasons from 2006-2014 (176 games), he averaged 22.86 disposals and 1.41 goals per game. He only dropped below the 20-and-1 mark twice over a season in that time - in 2010 where he averaged a career high 28.17 disposals and 0.96 goals per game (along with a career-high 0.96 goal assists per game, while spending more time in the midfield than ever before or since), and in 2014, where he averaged 19.90 disposals and 1.10 goals per game (in his first of two final seasons at Essendon).
There was around a 12 week period in 2009 iirc that Didak was the best player in the comp IMO, think it was the year after his in house finals suspension.

Because he wants to be, apparently.
I reckon they shopped him hoping to get the currency to draft Lukosius. He's always seemed to be very close to his family and happy to be near them in Adelaide, hard to see him just putting his hand up to move to Melbourne suddenly.

You can't mention Geelong players without going past Stevie J. Wasn't as consistent as Chapman at hitting the criteria, but that was because he was too busy kicking goals to get the possessions some years. Actually average 20d and > TWO goals a game twice at Geelong, and narrowly missed it a few other times.

StevieJ Did the 20d>1g thing 4 times, but narrowly missed three others with two 0.9s and a 19.9 in years where he got the other criteria. Best year on this metric was probably 2013 when he did 28.7d+1.2g

Geelong just had an insane number of players who could run through the midfield AND kick goals.

GAJ did it four times in a row when at Geelong, and then another 4 at GC.

Even Selwood managed it a couple of times, despite a relatively low career goal average. Bartel also twice.

It is no mystery why Geelong were so dominant despite having a relatively lacklustre forward line during their peak years. Their midfield was insanely attacking.

You can't mention Geelong players without going past Stevie J. Wasn't as consistent as Chapman at hitting the criteria, but that was because he was too busy kicking goals to get the possessions some years. Actually average 20d and > TWO goals a game twice at Geelong, and narrowly missed it a few other times.

StevieJ Did the 20d>1g thing 4 times, but narrowly missed three others with two 0.9s and a 19.9 in years where he got the other criteria. Best year on this metric was probably 2013 when he did 28.7d+1.2g

Geelong just had an insane number of players who could run through the midfield AND kick goals.

GAJ did it four times in a row when at Geelong, and then another 4 at GC.

Even Selwood managed it a couple of times, despite a relatively low career goal average. Bartel also twice.

It is no mystery why Geelong were so dominant despite having a relatively lacklustre forward line during their peak years. Their midfield was insanely attacking.

That Geelong midfield was the deadliest I’ve ever seen.
Maybe not the best (Brisbane 01-03 I reckon) but the ability to kick goals was insane.

Maybe not the best (Brisbane 01-03 I reckon) but the ability to kick goals was insane.

Joel Corey the odd man out in that goalkicking midfield, managing just 79 goals in 276 games, and never reaching double figures in goals in any of his 14 seasons.

Yup, Brisbane might have edged them on total class with 3 brownlow winners in the midfield at the same time (but if so, not by much). I don't think there is any doubt Geelong had the more attacking midfield though. In fact I think it will be a very very long time before we see another midfield that was as attacking as Geelong's at its peak, at least not with Geelong's consistency - there are probably some outlier years out there from other midfield groups, but Geelong's mids played that attacking style at an almost unbelievably high level for several years in a row.

If Danger is Chappys successor, it appears they’ve down graded bespite the media love Danger gets. Chappy severely under rated but has a lot of fan respect I’d guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patrick Dangerfield
Dustin Martin
Dayne Zorko
Chad Wingard

Others who did it in 2018 but not 2017 -
Tim Kelly
Stephen Coniglio
Isaac Smith
Luke Parker
Marcus Bontempelli
Mitch Wallis