Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

How heavy was he then?
I don't really see a career for English at the AFL level, let alone a top 3 player from 2016.
Will be too weak to become a key position player at either end of the yield, and no, you can't just suddenly gain 20 kg of muscles no matter how well you condition yourself...
As a ruck his tap work is also dodgy, skills are average...
He doesn't have:
Skills, midfield dominance of grundy
Tapwork of Gawn/Sandilands/Ryder
Athleticism of Nic Nat
Stoppage presense of Nankervis/Martin/Goldstein
I see him possibly approaching the level of a Ben Mcevoy if all goes well for him.
There's a reason why he slid to a late first round pick, despite Grundy JUST reminding all the clubs not to overlook a player by his position.
The fact that he was a late first rounder was more an evaluation of his talent rather than his position.
Bookmark this little doozy!

Defender group was definitely less competitive than the midfield set. Bont, the young melbourne mids and Heeney took up most of the spots.
Amazed at how Hardwick didn’t get a gig in defence in the under 22. Didn’t even get a squad spot.

Probably the best young 1-on-1 small-medium defender in the comp.

How heavy was he then?

I don't really see a career for English at the AFL level, let alone a top 3 player from 2016.

Will be too weak to become a key position player at either end of the yield, and no, you can't just suddenly gain 20 kg of muscles no matter how well you condition yourself...

As a ruck his tap work is also dodgy, skills are average...

He doesn't have:
Skills, midfield dominance of grundy
Tapwork of Gawn/Sandilands/Ryder
Athleticism of Nic Nat
Stoppage presense of Nankervis/Martin/Goldstein

I see him possibly approaching the level of a Ben Mcevoy if all goes well for him.

There's a reason why he slid to a late first round pick, despite Grundy JUST reminding all the clubs not to overlook a player by his position.

The fact that he was a late first rounder was more an evaluation of his talent rather than his position.
Yes people are untitled to their opinion but you have just giving you're opinion on his skills and ruckwork that are all inaccurate. Like I said. I'm sure Grundy would have been close to Tim's weight in his 2nd year.

Amazed at how Hardwick didn’t get a gig in defence in the under 22. Didn’t even get a squad spot.

I had to read the squad about 4 times just because I couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing his name.
I think I have given up on the 22 under 22 side anyway after Toby McLean didn't make it...

You guys cried when McGrath was deemed better than Burton, now you're crying that he's better rated than Hardwick. Are we going for a hat-trick, which B-Grader are you going to whinge about McGrath disrespecting next year?

So you didn’t rate Jack Graham’s GF game?
Don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't rate his grand final game, but he's a second year inside midfielder and he averages 14 disposals (5 contested) and 0.3 goals a game. Rate them over their body of work not just one game - otherwise Tom Boyd would be considered the best player from the 2013 draft class. His tackling work is excellent though

And he has only put on 2 kg's since drafted? What are you talking about more like it. You have this thing saying he won't make it as being very good, most people who know say he will. Now go away.
Why does he need to put on more?...

He was AFL ready when he was drafted, he wouldn't be ready if he needed to put on another 10 kgs..

Why is it so hard for you to believe that Grundy was 100kgs when he came as a 18 year old? lol we got hard evidence here

Don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't rate his grand final game, but he's a second year inside midfielder and he averages 14 disposals (5 contested) and 0.3 goals a game. Rate them over their body of work not just one game - otherwise Tom Boyd would be considered the best player from the 2013 draft class. His tackling work is excellent though

He doesn’t get picked on his possessions ...one of our leading pressure act players, which is why we are in another prelim⏱

Last edited:
He doesn’t get picked on his possessions ...one of our leading pressure act players, which is why we are in another prelim⏱
He might be a good tackler but that doesn't get him anywhere near a spot. Gotta have more to your game than one category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youre basing a players talent on how well he tagged a player for one half of one game. Yeah no, my mistake. Hes a star.

He tagged out thier best player and kicked 3 goals and was in the Norm smith votes.... in his 5th game.
Name any player in the history of the VFL/AFL that has gone close to that???

This year he has lead our players in pressure acts .... you keep looking at fantasy points.

Where is Berry?
On potential
I’d take him on top of that list
Has Cripps potential

Purely comparing the Brisbane draftees my ranking in terms of potential would be:

Berry
McCluggage
Witherden

McCluggage started to show why he was expected to be the number 1 pick this year so the gap between Berry and McCluggage really comes down to size and role for me. Witherden while a great draft pick is a bit further back from those two.

This. Jack Graham will end up being a solid second string mid for us. Probably end up playing 150 games and being a solid contributor. Reminds me of Stocker from this year’s draft class.

Collingwood’s night wasn’t great - McLarty and Kirby gone, Brown and Daicos look alright but aren’t safe bets by any means, particularly given our midfield depth.

I remember really wanting Brennan Cox at our first pick. He’s an interesting player - at times he’s looked like the next Hawkins and at times he’s looked like another Casboult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back