Best 22 2019

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Way too early for this and before the trade period/draft/pre season but just too see what options are in the squad

My changes

Patton LTI list
Keefe Delisted I think a small chance he could be moved to the rookie list
TOJ Traded
Griffen RETIRED
Tiziani Rookie list I think he should be back playing by the bye
Mohr Retired
D Buckley Delisted
S Reid NEAFL player coach
Stein Re-rookied
5 picks in the National draft (1 used on Lloyd) and pick up 2 rookies + Tiziani

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Scully
Shiel Cameron Kelly
TT HH Greene
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Tomlinson Langdon Taylor

Arguments could be made for several players too come in but based on the last form line of the players this is what I would look at, I think lacking options for tall forwards which is good because it could mean they play a smaller forward line with better defensive pressure and also opportunities could open up for Flynn and Sproule during the year
Strong midfield with Kelly and Shiel on the HFF but I think Ward could spend less time in the midfield next year and if he spends more time forward or back will be worked on during the off season

NEAFL
Buntine Stein Cumming
Perryman XXX(KPD draft) XXX(First pick draft)
Setterfield Reid MDB
Tiziani J Buckley Lloyd
Daniels Sproule Flynn
Simpson Shipley Bonar
Briggs Walker Peatling/first rookie draft pick XXX Second rookie draft pick

I think the KPD question is an interesting one with most posters thinking Mohr will retire does the club keep Keefe around for another year?
It could depend on the trade/draft period with maybe a cheap DFA an option or if they have their eyes on someone in the draft. I would like the club to pick up Koschitzke with the clubs second pick as although not an academy member I am sure the club has had a good look at him, plenty of other academy talls to look at but he looks the most promising
Also I would like the club to try and keep a couple of the ex players around like Reid/D Buckley/Keefe to work with the academy players and also play some games during the season or a player/development coach would be ex player J Barrett delisted by the Lions

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Way too early for this and before the trade period/draft/pre season but just too see what options are in the squad

My changes

Patton LTI list
Keefe Delisted I think a small chance he could be moved to the rookie list
TOJ Traded
Griffen RETIRED
Tiziani Rookie list I think he should be back playing by the bye
Mohr Retired
D Buckley Delisted
S Reid NEAFL player coach
Stein Re-rookied
5 picks in the National draft (1 used on Lloyd) and pick up 2 rookies + Tiziani

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Scully
Shiel Cameron Kelly
TT HH Greene
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Tomlinson Langdon Taylor

Arguments could be made for several players too come in but based on the last form line of the players this is what I would look at, I think lacking options for tall forwards which is good because it could mean they play a smaller forward line with better defensive pressure and also opportunities could open up for Flynn and Sproule during the year
Strong midfield with Kelly and Shiel on the HFF but I think Ward could spend less time in the midfield next year and if he spends more time forward or back will be worked on during the off season

NEAFL
Buntine Stein Cumming
Perryman XXX(KPD draft) XXX(First pick draft)
Setterfield Reid MDB
Tiziani J Buckley Lloyd
Daniels Sproule Flynn
Simpson Shipley Bonar
Briggs Walker Peatling/first rookie draft pick XXX Second rookie draft pick

I think the KPD question is an interesting one with most posters thinking Mohr will retire does the club keep Keefe around for another year?
It could depend on the trade/draft period with maybe a cheap DFA an option or if they have their eyes on someone in the draft. I would like the club to pick up Koschitzke with the clubs second pick as although not an academy member I am sure the club has had a good look at him, plenty of other academy talls to look at but he looks the most promising
Also I would like the club to try and keep a couple of the ex players around like Reid/D Buckley/Keefe to work with the academy players and also play some games during the season or a player/development coach would be ex player J Barrett delisted by the Lions
I dont see Lachie Keefe leaving. He was pickep up as a cheap DFA and played 8 games of AFL. I'm pretty sure the club would see that as a win. He's 28 and not about to retire you'd think.

I cant see Sam Reid going either unless he chooses to retire. He is also 28, albeit he will turn 29 in October. He played 14 games this year and missed a big block due to injury.

Both of these guys played in the SF and ended the season well. In the SF it really was our backs that kept us in the game for a long time. With these guys out there they performed brilliantly as a unit.

We were getting beaten up around the contest and hanging by a thread in the first QTR, but we did cling on. Compare the PF against the Tigers, when with similar dominance in the contest the Tigers really were blown away early.
It didn't happen to us because the backs scrambled and fought and didn't give up marks in front of goal as the Tigers did. Even forcing them into the pockets and shallow created the illusion they weren't kicking straight.

Bottom line is although they are both limited, I think they understand those limitations and play within them. I think they've both shown they're reliable in big pressure games.

It's likely neither is best 22 with a fit list, but both stay for me.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I dont see Lachie Keefe leaving. He was pickep up as a cheap DFA and played 8 games of AFL. I'm pretty sure the club would see that as a win. He's 28 and not about to retire you'd think.

I cant see Sam Reid going either unless he chooses to retire. He is also 28, albeit he will turn 29 in October. He played 14 games this year and missed a big block due to injury.

Both of these guys played in the SF and ended the season well. In the SF it really was our backs that kept us in the game for a long time. With these guys out there they performed brilliantly as a unit.

We were getting beaten up around the contest and hanging by a thread in the first QTR, but we did cling on. Compare the PF against the Tigers, when with similar dominance in the contest the Tigers really were blown away early.
It didn't happen to us because the backs scrambled and fought and didn't give up marks in front of goal as the Tigers did. Even forcing them into the pockets and shallow created the illusion they weren't kicking straight.

Bottom line is although they are both limited, I think they understand those limitations and play within them. I think they've both shown they're reliable in big pressure games.

I will respond in the list mgmt thread

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

I agree to ll of this. I think one issue we are working through is having so many players as high draft picks, they hae grown up beig the star of the team. Every team needs role players and contributors to be a success.... not everyone can get 30+ posessions

These guys typify that

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Shaw Davis Taylor
Kennedy Haynes Williams
Whitfield Ward Scully
Greene Cameron Deledio
Langdon Himmelberg DeBoar

Mumford Cogs Kelly
Corr Hopper Taranto ????

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Shaw Davis Taylor
Kennedy Haynes Williams
Whitfield Ward Scully
Greene Cameron Deledio
Langdon Himmelberg DeBoar

Mumford Cogs Kelly
Corr Hopper Taranto ????
Pre trade period 2019 team:

Williams Davis Haynes
Shaw Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Greene
Langdon HH Scully
Simpson Hopper Ward

Deledio De Boer Corr Tomlinson

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Pre trade period 2019 team:

Williams Davis Haynes
Shaw Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Greene
Langdon HH Scully
Simpson Hopper Ward

Deledio De Boer Corr Tomlinson
same 22 as me... whether Tommo holds his spot????

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Pre-trade - no Lobb at all? No Shiel either - seems a post-trade scenario?

FWIW, I don;t think the team can sustain Corr, Taylor & Tomlinson all in the team at once (with no other injuries taking out a defender or winger).

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Pre-trade - no Lobb at all? No Shiel either - seems a post-trade scenario?

FWIW, I don;t think the team can sustain Corr, Taylor & Tomlinson all in the team at once (with no other injuries taking out a defender or winger).
Kinder agree, that's why Tommo is not in my team... I see Tommo like Buntine, Reid as depth not best 22.
So a spot open for someone to make there own.
Bonar? Daniels? Perryman? 2019 selection?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Kinder agree, that's why Tommo is not in my team... I see Tommo like Buntine, Reid as depth not best 22.
Maybe depends on the ruck situation - are you hearing any whispers of who might the club get if Lobb is traded (just can't see us not replacing him)?

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Tommo is an AFL quality player in my opinion and would probably be demoralised with a long stint in the NEAFL assuming Taylor (a 2nd year player) takes his spot. I think he holds his place with Taylor/Corr fighting for a spot. I personally see a spot for him as a big wingman together with Scully and Whitfield since our tall defensive posts are well held. Beyond Whitfield, Kelly and Scully, we dont have other genuine outside runners with good disposal. Scully and Kelly have been linked with a move back to VIC at some point and Whitfield may need to move to half-back at times to cover for injuries. Taranto has endurance but not convinced about his speed or disposal efficiency to play the role full-time. With no real depth in this area (maybe Shipley, Cumming or Setterfield, but none have really had enough games to fully show what they are capable of), Tomlinson has a role to play. His endurance as a big man, relatively good disposal, strong marking and one of few accurate kicks at goal from our club make him a really unique weapon. Kelly and Taranto to play a more inside/outside role with Cogs, Ward and Hopper purely in the guts. I think it would be a disservice from the club to keep Tommo who has been loyal from the beginning as a backup player given he has consistently shown to be reliable despite not starring. Especially if he is on average coin (maybe 500k?), he might be someone we look to trade next year (or maybe a surprise trade this year) if we cant give him the security of playing seniors since I can appreciate while average at every position, he is not quite elite at any. No point paying an AFL standard player big money to be depth. A luxury to have, but probably someone we cant afford to hold onto at this stage if we arent playing him.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Personally, I'm inclined to agree with Teeso. GWS uses Tommo in a utility role: ruck, wing, mobile defender, KPD, occasional forward - not a star at any but useful at all. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to be selected, and the Taylor v Corr selection to be a focus this year. I thought we missed having one of those guys in the finals, especially against Collingwood.

The ruck situation remains crucial - how does the club see Flynn's progress, does Simpson have a future at GWS, do we go for a Nicholls/Ceglar etc etc?

Tomlinson is easily in our best 22, even if the arguement is accepted that he isn't in our best 18 (and I personally don't accept that) it would be lunacy not to have him on the bench.
What other player in the AFL can literally play every role with competence, and in the brief flashes the teams usage of him has allowed he has shown to be well above avergare in some of them.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Tomlinson is easily in our best 22, even if the arguement is accepted that he isn't in our best 18 (and I personally don't accept that) it would be lunacy not to have him on the bench.
What other player in the AFL can literally play every role with competence, and in the brief flashes the teams usage of him has allowed he has shown to be well above avergare in some of them.
Totally agree with this

Those criticizing him as not elite in any one position are warped by years of supporting a team with 10 first round picks in the twos and potential stars all over the park.

Tomlinson will be in the best 22 every game next year bar injury

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think the coaches would like having someone that versatile tactically.

Some pressure on every spot would be great anyway, but hard to see him playing NEAFL.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Totally agree with this

Those criticizing him as not elite in any one position are warped by years of supporting a team with 10 first round picks in the twos and potential stars all over the park.

Tomlinson will be in the best 22 every game next year bar injury
In a strange way it makes me happy we wont have AFL quality players unable to find a spot much in the future. At the same time the group is getting tougher as a whole as the core group matures.
I'm optimistic about the next few years.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With Tomlinson I think it is where the coaches see Flynn and Sproule and if they are both ready for AFL if not Tomlinson could spend more time as a forward or I would like him to play like a Tom Lynch Adelaide role
Earlier in the year I thought he could be traded this year but his durability and flexibility changed my mind along with Patton going down
He is critical to the 22 because of his flexibility and if their are any in game injuries he can step in anywhere

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
How could the team look next year then
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Kelly
MDB Cameron Greene
TT HH Langdon
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio Perryman Bonar
Shipley Reid Lloyd Daniels Taylor Buntine Cumming Simpson Flynn Sproule
#9 #14 #25 #Briggs #Walker I would hope the club can work out a way to get another first round pick as I just feel 25 is too low to pick up a player able to impact the game in 2019

The starting 18 looks strong but then the depth drops off and the replacements in the forwards and backs are mature but really just Shipley and draftees for the midfield depth
I think the media reports are true and I am confident the club can make the 8 next year but it will need a lot of luck with injuries to get there and go further
If this is a reset then I would like to see Coniglio and Kelly signed up and made co captains for next year and the club to release a statement about what is going on at the club
I thought this reset would happen next year but 1 year earlier and it would be interesting to know what the players are thinking and if they knew what was on the cards for the off season

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kenners
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Deledio HH Greene
Langdon Cameron Daniels
Simpson Hopper Ward

Taranto Tomlinson DeBoer Corr

Depth: Perryman, Buntine, Cumming, Bonar, Daniels, Keefe, Lloyd, Reid, Shipley, Mummy, Sproule

Would like to see us recruit a top 10 pick and bring in a few mature depth players. At least two mature inside miss for depth would be handy.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
So the following could leave/retire/delist:
  • Shiel
  • Setters
  • Lobb
  • Finlayson
  • Scully
I don’t imagine we’ll take 5 kids in the draft... we end up losing them anyway. I’d prefer if we picked up a mature mid or two and mature key forward. Someone from vfl like pies did with Mihocek. We also need backup mature inside mids. Try and trade up all our picks to get two kids inside the top 10.
How far over our cap were we going to be??

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
So the following could leave/retire/delist:
  • Shiel
  • Setters
  • Lobb
  • Finlayson
  • Scully
I don’t imagine we’ll take 5 kids in the draft... we end up losing them anyway. I’d prefer if we picked up a mature mid or two and mature key forward. Someone from vfl like pies did with Mihocek. We also need backup mature inside mids. Try and trade up all our picks to get two kids inside the top 10.
How far over our cap were we going to be??
Keep the faith Giant Pete

Back