Senior 32.- Gryan Miers (2018-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. I think he is the slowest player drafted and slower than GHS. Daulhaus is quick with excellent agility.

He is to slow to be a defensive forward and is nothing like daulhaus. What he does have is endurance and footy iq.
If he is too slow and can kick 7 goals in a TAC GF, what does that say about the opposition in that game? Witches hats?
I haven't seen the entire draft but I would imagine a few from that game were likely picked ahead of him.
Steele Sidebottom kicked 10 in a TAC GF and isn't the quickest player I've seen either.
I find it strange given that goal kickers are difficult to find, that he found his way to us at 57.

Its not pace that worries me as such, it's the fact that he is slow and not a marking player, he is going to have days where he gets 5 possessions.

cheers

It’s scary that draftees are now 2years younger than me. i remember googling them and seeing they were 9-10 years older and thinking some day they’ll be even with me..
Wait till the ones your age start retiring

Interesting to read the comparisons of Miers to other players:

Very Chappy like with his kicking , seems to have a very good radar and knows how to snag a few.

Natural finisher who knows where the goals are.

There's a bit of SJ about him. That freakish ability to create something from nothing and to perform when it matters.

Interesting kicking action... a bit "buddy-hook" but a largely straight run in then a late step out and hook across the body. I wonder if that happened naturally trying to gain distance when younger

Reminds me of Dahlhaus. Very similar kicking action. Welcome!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapman possibly the best small forward and match winner I’ve seen. Known for pace? Absolutely not.

thats stephen milne in a wig

I’d be happy with half of Stephen Milnes football output

This guy is going to make it IMO.

A top 20 calibre pick at 57 is incredible.

I've really liked him this last season and wanted him on our list.

He's not a bad athlete at all, he plays smart and not with overt athleticism, which may translate to a lack of a faith in his physical profile by some.

He's a committed run and chase player and he should have the speed (and agility) to fulfill this role at AFL level.

His body control and coordination are elite.

Kind of like Parfitt in terms of his ability to 'walk' through a pack.

The Dalhaus comp has nothing to do with the dreads, they are strikingly similar players and project to play a similar role.

They are both grimy defensive forwards who can kick goals.

However, Gryan is the much more natural player and reminds me of Milne honestly.

Skilled, defensive goalkicker.

Prefer him to Kelly to be honest.

Haha.

I'm with you, this is not the 100m sprint final at the Olympics...

Miers is a football player and not a sprinter...he's not lame and doesn't need to be sent to the glue factory.

Miers plays under control, his mind is his greatest asset.

Some players who lack smarts seem like better athletes than they really are because they have to put in so much effort.

In the last 27 years of the draft, teams (for the most part) have taken athletes first over 'natural' footballers, it doesn't tend to work IMO.

Miers is like Milne IMO, he's not the quickest, not the strongest, not the tallest...

But this kid has 'it'

Whatever 'it' is.

The way he throws it into his foot reminds me a lot of SJ/Chappy...very unique stele or kicking

Hard to judge.just by the highlights package but he looks decent...will be watching his development with interest

Having seen Miers in two JLT games, which player is he most like?

PS Not sure I like the comparisons, I'd prefer it if he was just himself, a unique, goal kicking forward, with a good footy brain, who makes time with his composure to make good decisions.

Article from Addy:

"GRYAN Miers remembers the exact moment it hit him that he was on an AFL list.

“The second week I was training, and I thought I’d tackle Nakia Cockatoo, just wrap my arms around him,” Miers said.

“He didn’t even notice I was there, I just fell to the floor and he ran off. I was thinking, ‘Oh God, I’ve got to work on that’.

“In drills, the intensity is unbelievable. You’ve got to really bring it or you’re going to be smashed by some of these big players.”

He has taken that willingness to learn into his AFL training and is already gaining valuable knowledge ahead of a season focused on development.

“Leading patterns, how to work for each other, tackling techniques. There’s a lot of team things (that we’ve learned),” Miers said of the step up from TAC Cup. “One player (out of position) can ruin a whole team structure.”
RYAN REYNOLDS, Geelong Advertiser
16 March 2018"

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...r/news-story/e9f9b14a48eac2525905246286d96458

What struck me, when I met Miers at the Season Launch, was the way he considered questions, before responding. He is a very grounded guy, has a much more mature mind than an 18 y.o. + his enthusiasm is contagious. I like the way he's very focused.

Had a chat with his mother, Kerry, who is utterly thrilled he's at Geelong. She said the major concern for her was Gryan going interstate + she's very relieved he's at home. She also said that while Gryan was a small in size as a boy, he was always organising games for kids in their neighbourhood + chose players for teams. He'd always pick balanced teams, so he'd choose a tall, or a forward for the team if they lacked those players. He didn't put all the best kids in one team. She said he has terrific leadership skills, loves stats + works hard to improve his footy. She said he's loving GFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to read the comparisons of Miers to other players:

Having seen Miers in two JLT games, which player is he most like?

PS Not sure I like the comparisons, I'd prefer it if he was just himself, a unique, goal kicking forward, with a good footy brain, who makes time with his composure to make good decisions.

I think he’s closer to a Stephen Milne type rather than Chapman and Dalhaus

Miers not gifted with express pace, just knows exactly where the footy should be

I think he’s closer to a Stephen Milne type rather than Chapman and Dalhaus

Miers not gifted with express pace, just knows exactly where the footy should be

So, like Milne, has footy nous? Just do not want him to be like Milne in personality though lol

As a Miers' fan, you might get a giggle from this - we were sitting behind the Geelong Bench at Colac + when Miers came on to the interchange I was WooHoo-ing + cheering "Gryan", who just looked at me, laughed + shook his head :hearts: Like you, when he liked your Instagram comment, he's fast becoming a fave :rainbow:

Some background on Miers -

"As a kid growing up, Miers would play footy at Torquay in the winter and then compete in Little Athletics in Grovedale from age 11.

At the recent AFL Draft Combine, Miers came third in the 2km time trial in 6min13sec and performed strongly in the Yo-Yo running test."

Miers said:
“I did a lot of Little Aths. I did it from when I was 11 until I was about 14,” Miers said.

“I was just an average runner and then doing that I actually found out I was pretty good at it.

“I improved on that and went to state level pretty much all four years of doing it.

“Sprinting, I was always quite slow compared to other people doing it, but I definitely improved it.”

It was through mates gained at Little Athletics that Miers changed footy clubs to Grovedale. and at about age 16, Miers started growing dreadlocks.

“I always hard curly hair so they kind of formed themselves,” he said."
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/e5c209f71e008e689734fb527fa91ee4

So, like Milne, has footy nous? Just do not want him to be like Milne in personality though lol

As a Miers' fan, you might get a giggle from this - we were sitting behind the Geelong Bench at Colac + when Miers came on to the interchange I was WooHoo-ing + cheering "Gryan", who just looked at me, laughed + shook his head :hearts: Like you, when he liked your Instagram comment, he's fast becoming a fave :rainbow:

Yeah, not blessed with skill, pace or overhead marking.
People were quick to forget Milne was the best small forward ever IMO
better than betts

better than betts
Better than GAJ?

better than betts
Yeah so underrated. Best small forward I've ever seen. (Although I never saw Lethal play).
Never seen a player who had such a natural instinct for being at the right spots at the right time. The Ultimate Scab.
It's why I was so excited about Miers, such instincts just can't be taught.

Yeah so underrated. Best small forward I've ever seen. (Although I never saw Lethal play).
Never seen a player who had such a natural instinct for being at the right spots at the right time. The Ultimate Scab.
It's why I was so excited about Miers, such instincts just can't be taught.

I’m guessing we are both very similar in age

I’m guessing we are both very similar in age
Yeah probs. Was probably alive when Mathews played but don't remember him. Funnily enough I haven't even seen much footage of him playing.
First year I went to the footy and started watching it was 89 but don't remember much of it.

Lethal and KB both kicked a hell of a lot of goals but were both rovers for most of their careers. Matthews in particular averaged almost three goals per game which AFAIK is much higher than pretty much any small forward in history, Milne included.

Daicos is the other one that comes to mind. Also played a lot of midfield but probably more of a forward than Lethal or KB. He was also Collingwood's leading goalkicker five times including in a premiership year (1990, when he kicked 97) - not bad for a crumbing forward.

All of those guys also played in eras that were dominated by big marking forwards (Hudson, McKenna, Wade, Roach, Royce Hart, Balme, Taylor, etc) when small forwards tended to be less prominent.

Milne was a clever player, but not in the same league as these guys IMO.

The 19-year-old sits atop the list of goalkickers in the Cats’ VFL side and is yet to miss a game, a statistic that Miers is most proud of.

"The Cats’ 2017 draft class already has its fair share of admirers with Tim Kelly proving to be a steal as the Cats’ 24th pick.

But one young Cat who is flying under the radar is Gryan Miers, who is putting together a superb first season in the blue and white hoops...…"

See more:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-07-24/miers-flying-under-radar

So how did this kid go this year? I watched a few games with him last year in the TAC cup and liked what I saw, natural footballing ability, knows how to kick goals albeit he is a little bit slow.
I was a bit suprised he slipped as high in the draft as he did, goes to show how clubs are absolutely in love with speed, height and aerobic ability these days and forget they have to be able to play football also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back