jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Why not sold on Dowrick? Booming left foot kick, reads the play from behind the ball as well as anyone, good height (172cm), can explode through stoppages, very clean with the ball and very good skills. Arguably BOG in WA's first two games and possibly the only reason she wasn't against Eastern is Cooper seemed to be experimenting moving players around the place.

Her younger sister looks the goods as well - even with her currently shaved head. What is she 15/16yo? She laid a hit that was easily the hardest I've seen at u18s so far. Give her a few years and she'll be a great inside mid.

The Hyde twins are skilful but geez they are tiny.

Haven't seen Roux do anything to notice her yet - I'll watch some more when I find time though.

Do you know why Hodder and Metcalf weren't playing?

Anyway I'm sure Trent Cooper knows exactly who he wants and he'd know better than pretty much anyone else so I trust him to make some good choices.
Sorry, Yes, I am sold on Dowrick, I meant Dorizzi.
My issue with Dorizzi is, I think her dominance at junior levels is entirely due to her combination of decent height, speed and athleticism, which has disguised a relative lack of `football` ability. In the AFLW, she would be relatively short for a ruck, and come back to the pack with pace and athleticism. My concern is, she would be an athletic footballer that cannot find the ball, and when she does have it, doesn't make good decisions under pressure.

Dowrick has athleticism, but much more pure football ability.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
They all play league. Metcalf is 19, although so are some of the others so i expect like the boys you are allowed a few over agers who weren't drafted. I expect Metcalf was not considered to be good enough. I can't see her being drafted.

I only see the players when they are playing one of the bottom sides so you get a bit of a skewed view of them. Talking to players you get i teresting insights. The workrate of Williams and Atkins as forwards was way above that of Metcalf.

Best player I've seen this year has been O'Sullivan.
They talked about this in one of the games. There is about 6 over agers, including Dorizzi, playing at the carnival (all teams). There is a list of criteria, and you have to meet 1 to be eligible to be considered as an over age player.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
156pqcprqf6x.jpg
This is the list of the "best" from the WAWFL playing an exhibition game Sunday

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
Of those i would take Katie Grieve ( ex Carlton rookie).

I also am impressed by Hongell but would like to see her play against a forward line where she has to be accountable.

Freo Quokkas

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2016
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's news that the AFL wants to decrease the number of home and away matches in the AFLW 2019 season from 8 to 6 matches and include 2 weeks of finals matches. Despite, two clubs being added to the competition and women's league.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The club certainly isn't standing still when it comes to AFLW. New coach (Cooper), new manager (Fry), new performance manager (Starre) and now Morabito added to the asst. coaching ranks. Hoping we see a little bit of movement on the men's side in the coming months as well.

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is Dana's work at the ground during game day part of the package that kept her from a move East?
Not really, well maybe a bit perhaps but they were always heading for a match day change in routine, and for more player involvement, and she was always the best media fit as far as womens footy is concerned so it was kind of a no-brainer.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dowrick, probably the best of the players coming out of the U18s, has nominated for Queensland in the draft.
Had a feeling she might do that. Clearly wants to wait until WC have a women's team to join them. Makes sense for Freo as well - better developing u18s that might stay with us.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Oct 23rd is the draft.

I suspect Duffy will be drafted, Stewart maybe. Bartlett may not even nominate for WA, If she does, personally I think they should look at her, but I suspect they will not. She is a player that works by outsmarting her opponents, and getting `sneaky` goals, which gives her a bit of a point of difference, but I suspect they want players who do well at yo yo tests and the like.

I also expect they will recycle a few delisted players. I suspect they delisted so many always with the intention of redfrafting those that did well. They may even look at Kira Phillips again, despite seeming to be a bit of a flake, and provided she can hit fitness targets. In terms of straight talent, she may be best available.

After that, its a bit of a lottery. There have been a number of players doing well at WAWFL level, but they are competing with those out of U18s, and last years delisted players, so there may only be a spot for 2 or 3.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
Not this year. With 2 new Vic teams, Vic is where the opportunity is, might be different next year, but there will be new Vic teams then as well.
Youll find WA girls are more likely to nominate for Vic teams.

The VFLW is so far ahead of the WAWFL and we are falling further and further behind. Unless the WAFC or the AFL vlubs put some time and effort in Freo will be battling for the spoon for a while.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Youll find WA girls are more likely to nominate for Vic teams.

The VFLW is so far ahead of the WAWFL and we are falling further and further behind. Unless the WAFC or the AFL vlubs put some time and effort in Freo will be battling for the spoon for a while.
I think they are now, but it will take a few years until it bites. I have always thought the improvement you can get out of a 19, 20+ year old by putting them in high performance programs is limited. Its not until the girls who started them at 13, 14 start to come through that you will see a real lift in quality

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Not this year. With 2 new Vic teams, Vic is where the opportunity is, might be different next year, but there will be new Vic teams then as well.
More opportunities in Vic teams too because a lot good female players aren't nominating for the AFLW at all. The comp is seen as a bit of a joke over here, VFLW can pay more, and playing AFLW means you're playing year round, and it's causing a lot of fatigue & injuries. Source: I play in the league under VFLW

TheShrewdDude

Debutant
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Loosing Dowrick hurts, WC clearly got in her ear.

Call me crazy but I think Freo will win the flag this year. All the Vic teams have been thinned out and Brisbane got pillaged.

Lavell and Webb the only notable losses. Whispers of Bowers ready for day 1 of preseason and Antonio moving to forward line this year.

Watch this space

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Loosing Dowrick hurts, WC clearly got in her ear.

Call me crazy but I think Freo will win the flag this year. All the Vic teams have been thinned out and Brisbane got pillaged.

Lavell and Webb the only notable losses. Whispers of Bowers ready for day 1 of preseason and Antonio moving to forward line this year.

Watch this space
Yeah I'm feeling a lot more confident about next season too. Bowers will make a huge difference alongside Donnellan, Miller and Hooker. Am assuming we'll bring in some runners to make up for the loss of Webb? Good to see her and Lavell continuing in coaching roles.

Houghton much improved from last season could also mean a much improved forward line. Think we made a mistake losing Belinda Smith though.

Back