Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think Scully and Wingard are great players you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Handy, yes, but neither are anywhere near A-grade despite the price tag.
Chad Wingard's best is A Grade. He can be a match-winner.
He just hasn't produced his best, but for a few occasions, in 2 years, and even before that, produced it far too inconsistently.
It is a trade still based on unfulfilled potential, no doubt.
You might even argue that getting the best out of him is less likely to occur than more likely given how many years of exposed form we have of him. Hard to argue with that.
With regards to Scully, if fully healthy I think he is one of the elite, pure wingman in the game, who can also take his turn in the centre square around stoppages. Whether you see that as A Grade or not really comes down to personal preference. Most people view Isaac Smith as one of the handful of best wingman in the game. I would argue Scully is a superior all-around footballer to Smith.
I think when some people think of Scully they think of his average couple of years where he was struggling with injury and form (last year at Melbourne, first year at GWS from memory???), but his '16 and '17 seasons were very good.

The other thing to consider is the rule changes. We don't really know what impact they will have, but most pundits are predicting that wingman are going to become even more valuable as a result.

I don’t think Clarko would agree with you. Let’s face it, after Tom and Jam the midfield stocks at Glenferrie definitely thin out. Shiel would have been a huge and necessary addition to the midfield ranks at Hawthorn.
Shiel going to Essendon adds another dollop to the cream already there, like, as you have mentioned, Zak, Hep, McG and Smithy, McKenna, Parish, Langers..
As it stands, the Hawks will likely have to settle for....Scully. Oh dear.

Then why has Clarkson been chasing Wingard since 2011?

Chad Wingard's best is A Grade. He can be a match-winner.
He just hasn't produced his best, but for a few occasions, in 2 years, and even before that, produced it far too inconsistently.
It is a trade still based on unfulfilled potential, no doubt.
You might even argue that getting the best out of him is less likely to occur than more likely given how many years of exposed form we have of him. Hard to argue with that.
With regards to Scully, if fully healthy I think he is one of the elite, pure wingman in the game, who can also take his turn in the centre square around stoppages. Whether you see that as A Grade or not really comes down to personal preference. Most people view Isaac Smith as one of the handful of best wingman in the game. I would argue Scully is a superior all-around footballer to Smith.
I think when some people think of Scully they think of his average couple of years where he was struggling with injury and form (last year at Melbourne, first year at GWS from memory???), but his '16 and '17 seasons were very good.

The other thing to consider is the rule changes. We don't really know what impact they will have, but most pundits are predicting that wingman are going to become even more valuable as a result.

I think what you don't realise you're getting with Chad is someone who doesn't want to do 1 minute more than he has to.
According to one of my friends who is a port fan who attends trainings etc (and said this last season before any trade was considered), he is last to training, first to leave, mucking around and not giving 100%. This is reflected in his on-field performance when he'll be good one game and missing for the next 3. Then he asks for $1m a year? That kinda thing would seriously upset the apple cart at most clubs having a guy that lazy who is taking a bulk paycheck.

I honestly would prefer to keep Burton and 14 or whatever it is and I honestly think you'd probably say something similar if he hadnt nominated Hawthorn.

Scully if fit and healthy is a good two way runner and link man, but he's no star. Probably exactly what you need if he can get back to full health, but certainly no a-grader. I would say hes an elite runner but not an elite player.
Someone made the point earlier that hes not in GWS top 5 mids

At the price (if it stays at that price) its a no brainer - even if his injury means its a gamble.

Tom Mitchell was also a handy B grade player or so the pundits told us.

We all knew he had the potential to be a very very good player.
He was just in a place where he wasn't getting opportunity behind Kennedy, Parker, Hanners, Jack etc. who at that point were up there with the best midfields in the competition.

Chad has that potential too. The difference is that one of them works hard and one cbf.

So we're a finals side when it suits your argument about why we shouldn't get a player on the cheap, but outside of this we have one of the worst lists in the comp?

Also the bold part....you do realise there is no scope for players to be paid outside of the salary cap with regards to existing contracts right?

You're a finals side when you make the 8 yes and no team should be getting Scully for that price, its wrong. You'd be saying the same if it wasnt your team, be honest.

Hawks true colours came out in the finals series though. Made to look pretty average and beaten comfortably by two teams that didn't even make the grand final.

"Thank you Gold Coast for their professionalism during this negotiation" - Hawks GM on Scrimshaw trade.

Shot across the bow to GWS

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should read "thanks for letting us ream your behind Gold Coast, GWS can you please comply also"

You're a finals side when you make the 8 yes and no team should be getting Scully for that price, its wrong. You'd be saying the same if it wasnt your team, be honest.

Hawks true colours came out in the finals series though. Made to look pretty average and beaten comfortably by two teams that didn't even make the grand final.

Weve heard how scully and scrimshaw are cheap but NOT ONE comment about many similar deals over the last few years. Its woth pointing out.

And while I'm not saying we are dominant by any measure, we kicked poorly for goal in both those finals,which is usually a strength

Weve heard how scully and scrimshaw are cheap but NOT ONE comment about many similar deals over the last few years. Its woth pointing out.

And while I'm not saying we are dominant by any measure, we kicked poorly for goal in both those finals,which is usually a strength

Scrimshaw is cheap, but cheap becuase he hasnt played a lot of senior footy etc.

Scully is a best 22 at every club in the league. Thats why people are upset that somehow a late 3rd round pick is going to get the job done. Theres something sus going on.

If it was Essendon and not Hawthorn you dont think you'd be a bit like wtf?

I think what you don't realise you're getting with Chad is someone who doesn't want to do 1 minute more than he has to.
According to one of my friends who is a port fan who attends trainings etc (and said this last season before any trade was considered), he is last to training, first to leave, mucking around and not giving 100%. This is reflected in his on-field performance when he'll be good one game and missing for the next 3. Then he asks for $1m a year? That kinda thing would seriously upset the apple cart at most clubs having a guy that lazy who is taking a bulk paycheck.

I honestly would prefer to keep Burton and 14 or whatever it is and I honestly think you'd probably say something similar if he hadnt nominated Hawthorn.
Heard some similar commentary that Wingard is completely detached from footy outside hours- doesn’t really like the game.
Won’t have anything to do with footy.
Shame Hawthorn have gone down this path just to satisfy Clarko’s obsession with the old formula of bringing in players from other clubs, in preference to organic growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard some similar commentary that Wingard is completely detached from footy outside hours- doesn’t really like the game.
Won’t have anything to do with footy.
Shame Hawthorn have gone down this path just to satisfy Clarko’s obsession with the old formula of bringing in players from other clubs, in preference to organic growth.

It works when you fill gaps with role players, but you're giving up a future star in Burton for a flaky bloke in Wingard and IMO there are still a few holes in the hawks best 22.

If it was Wines instead...well then we're talking a whole new story.

Scrimshaw is cheap, but cheap becuase he hasnt played a lot of senior footy etc.

Scully is a best 22 at every club in the league. Thats why people are upset that somehow a late 3rd round pick is going to get the job done. Theres something sus going on.

If it was Essendon and not Hawthorn you dont think you'd be a bit like wtf?

Apparently he did originally want essendon, so it is in the discussion. not sure how that shows up a conspiracy

Apparently he did originally want essendon, so it is in the discussion. not sure how that shows up a conspiracy

To me its not that Scully or Hawthorn is doing anything wrong, its that the system is broken.
A player can nominate a club who has no currency to buy them, yet the existing club has no right to send them anywhere else.

To me its not that Scully or Hawthorn is doing anything wrong, its that the system is broken.
A player can nominate a club who has no currency to buy them, yet the existing club has no right to send them anywhere else.

In this case its mainly about salary cap . Astonishing number of people pretending its not.

Another view would be it took us 2 years to finally replace Brad Hill. and that we also released Jordan Lewis for similar swap

In this case its mainly about salary cap . Astonishing number of people pretending its not.

Another view would be it took us 2 years to finally replace Brad Hill. and that we also released Jordan Lewis for similar swap

The Lewis one was different.
He was offered more years, and more money...

Hawks were looking to move him on like they did with Mitchell (and probably behind closed doors Hodge also)

No doubt its about the cap, but that's mostly the AFL's fault too.

I mean consider it this way, they should've given them the extra cap in the last few years and the next few years, not right at the beginning.
Why did they need extra cap upon inception when the guys were all 18 year old kids. They needed it when these 18 year old kids (mainly top draft picks) were ready to re-sign. Especially now we can see that GC and GWS are feeder clubs.

Just 2 of the 6 phases of BigFooty grief.

Dude you went out in straight sets to teams that didnt make the GF
Nobody is jealous of the 2018 HFC, just so you know.

Maybe 5 years ago...

Wouldnt matter if this deal was to Carlton, its BS a player can go for so little and nominate a club so their existing club has no choice.

Dude you went out in straight sets to teams that didnt make the GF
Nobody is jealous of the 2018 HFC, just so you know.

Maybe 5 years ago...

Wouldnt matter if this deal was to Carlton, its BS a player can go for so little and nominate a club so their existing club has no choice.
Calm down my man, it was a joke. I should have put a wink face afterwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back