Traded Jack Scrimshaw [traded to Hawthorn with future 4th round pick for future 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

"Scrimshaw, who was recruited at No.7 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, has played only four games in his career, with none coming this year.

He had been contracted until the end of 2020 and was set to earn $400,000 in each of the final two years of his deal.''

From the AFL.com article. That's putrid list management from Gold Coast. He signed an extension in March 2017, meaning they signed him to quite a large contract without even playing a single game of AFL football. I understand there's a salary cap floor but I'd hate to know how overpaid some other kids are who have done nothing at AFL level.

Contracted for 2 more seasons @ $400k per year :eek:

Talk about mismanagement by the Suns when the guy couldn't get even get a kick at NEAFL level

Calculated risk by Hawks but they've obviously got the cap space to play with

Just checked
Sounds like he will be somewhere between O'Rourke and O'Meara. Potential is there.

Hope so.

I just checked and he was named in the bests at NEAFL level once in 2017 and 3 times in 2018 (never higher than 4th best).

He is a long, long way from AFL level right now.

(Has been targetted by Hawthorn as a free shot that a new environment and system may improve him based on his junior career and him playing a similar game style to Birchall who must be close to retirement.)

Is this thread full of children who don't realize it's possible for high draft picks to flop? Have these posters never heard of Mitch Thorpe, Beau Dowler, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, Lucas Cook, Richard Tambling, Daniel Gorringe, Jimmy Toumpas, Jonathan O'Rourke(pick 2 who got to Hawthorn cheap, now delisted), Ben Lennon.

He's cheap because he probably isn't that good.

"Scrimshaw, who was recruited at No.7 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, has played only four games in his career, with none coming this year.

He had been contracted until the end of 2020 and was set to earn $400,000 in each of the final two years of his deal.''

From the AFL.com article. That's putrid list management from Gold Coast. He signed an extension in March 2017, meaning they signed him to quite a large contract without even playing a single game of AFL football. I understand there's a salary cap floor but I'd hate to know how overpaid some other kids are who have done nothing at AFL level.
I think you fail to realise this is what it takes for us to keep kids on the coast. Seeing as it’s so easy to request a trade home

Contracted for 2 more seasons @ $400k per year :eek:

Talk about mismanagement by the Suns when the guy couldn't get even get a kick at NEAFL level

Calculated risk by Hawks but they've obviously got the cap space to play with
Hopefully he agrees to a couple more years and we can restructure his wage. Sounds like he was desperate to come home, may be a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you fail to realise this is what it takes for us to keep kids on the coast. Seeing as it’s so easy to request a trade home
That's the issue though. I understand it's difficult but now you've likely got a bunch of overpaid kids who may not even make it at AFL level and will effect the entire culture if this becomes what is expected from the playing group. I mean $400k a year is a bloody lot of money for a draftee extension when the season hadn't even started, and the extra contract money didn't even help in retaining him.

Remember when everybody thought the Hawks got a steal when they brought in O'Rourke cheaply?

Scrimshaw was absolutely terrible at the Suns, Hawks almost paid over to be honest.
We gave up nothing, it is a few pick downgrade late in the draft. No matter which way you look at it we didn't almost over pay.

That's the issue though. I understand it's difficult but now you've likely got a bunch of overpaid kids who may not even make it at AFL level and will effect the entire culture if this becomes what is expected from the playing group. I mean $400k a year is a bloody lot of money for a draftee extension when the season hadn't even started, and the extra contract money didn't even help in retaining him.
They signed contract extensions after their first year

Hawthorn are leveraging their cap space beautifully.

There’s eight players who are over 30 years currently on the Hawks list. They will all be gone at the end of next year. Cap space isn’t an issue. That’s why Hawthorn are prepared to pay most of Scully’s contract if that trade with Western Sydney gets done.

There’s eight players who are over 30 years currently on the Hawks list. They will all be gone at the end of next year. Cap space isn’t an issue. That’s why Hawthorn are prepared to pay most of Scully’s contract if that trade with Western Sydney happens.
He meant our current cap space enabling us to take on contracts clubs dont really want for low cost ie Scully and Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back