Traded Jack Scrimshaw [traded to Hawthorn with future 4th round pick for future 3rd round pick]

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
"Scrimshaw, who was recruited at No.7 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, has played only four games in his career, with none coming this year.

He had been contracted until the end of 2020 and was set to earn $400,000 in each of the final two years of his deal.''

From the AFL.com article. That's putrid list management from Gold Coast. He signed an extension in March 2017, meaning they signed him to quite a large contract without even playing a single game of AFL football. I understand there's a salary cap floor but I'd hate to know how overpaid some other kids are who have done nothing at AFL level.

It hardly Tom Boyd money though is it.

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Once Roughy, Birchall, Burgoyne, Frawley, McEvoy, Smith, Stratton and Puopolo all retire, along with Duryea and possibly Ceglar being traded, then that surge will come to a quick halt. You have two years max before that group is done. Then who will you have? You can trade in as many players on the cheap as you want, but you can't replace that many integral players without bottoming out. We'll experience it too, but at least we hit the draft a few times.
Yeah poor Hawks. Weren't we going to be in the cellar when Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson and Hodge finished?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
JOR 2.0 written all over him.

Pretty different scenarios. JOR couldn’t get on the park due to injury, Scrimshaw is lazy and doesn’t have much intensity.

JOR also still went for a first round pick, while Scrimshaw is leaving for a slight pick upgrade.

Sounds like Scrimshaw is a long shot at making at. He’s at a good club to turn it around though.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah B2B straight sets is sure making me jealous

Still 4 flags over the past decade, and no way rejuvenating the list by getting 20 something top 10 picks for scraps (Scully, Scrimshaw, Wingard, probably Patton and let’s be honest probably Cogs next year)

Meanwhile you have a 35 year old Ablett in an aframe and Gary Rohan lol

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Once Roughy, Birchall, Burgoyne, Frawley, McEvoy, Smith, Stratton and Puopolo all retire, along with Duryea and possibly Ceglar being traded, then that surge will come to a quick halt. You have two years max before that group is done. Then who will you have? You can trade in as many players on the cheap as you want, but you can't replace that many integral players without bottoming out. We'll experience it too, but at least we hit the draft a few times.
We can replace them if we collude.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Anyone else feel like Hawthorn pulling a Geelong? Trying desperately not to fall off and remain relevant by neglecting the draft and just trading in players each year?

Going to have a list of a couple of superstars surrounded by cloggers.

That is a concern. Provided we are able to make deals for Wingard and Scully, and our players are fit (high fantasy I know) then I imagine the team would look like:

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Burgoyne - Sicily - Birchall

Scully - O'Meara - Smith
Big Boy
- Mitchell - Shiels

Wingard - Gunston - Impey
Puopolo - Roughie - Breust

Bench out of: Ceglar, Morrison, Henderson, Worpel, Scrimshaw, Howe, Mirra, Schoey, O'Brien, Cousins.

The bolded I consider key players that form the core of the side moving forward. I'd include Scully and Wingard too should we land then. If Birchall can get back then I'd include him too, we have missed him greatly over the last two seasons (but after two seasons out it's doubtful).

Out of those highlighted players only Stratton, Big Boy, Smith and Birchall have a few years left in the tank. The rest have several years left in the tank, which is promising.

In the past (and like all great teams - see Richmond, Collingwood and WCE recently) our role players have been able to play above themselves due to the gameplan. I think we can get to that again.

IMO that's been the problem for Geelong, their game plan doesn't allow their lesser role players to excel.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A future Hawthorn team might look like this:

Burton. Brand. Hardwick

Miles. Sicily. Morrison

Worpel. O’Meara. Scully

Wingard. Gunston. Breust

Moore. Lewis. Hanrahan

Pittonet. Shiels. Mitchell

Impey. Howe. Nash. Ceglar

A future Hawthorn team might look like this:

Burton. Brand. Hardwick

Miles. Sicily. Morrison

Worpel. O’Meara. Scully

Wingard. Gunston. Breust

Moore. Lewis. Hanrahan

Pittonet. Shiels. Mitchell

Impey. Howe. Nash. Ceglar

Miles will be delisted. Put Scrimshaw in the team instead. Maybe Jonathan Patton as well just for all the melts. ;)

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This was about the O'Meara trade...swing and a miss.

Also, in regards to this -

Who will you have as your new core once your old core group has retired? Worpel, Sicily, Impey, Bur--- oh wait he's getting traded, Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully, Wingard, Howe, Gunston, Breust, Scrimshaw. Not a bad group I'd say... but hmmm, wait a sec... where are your ruckman? Where is your backline? Where's your forward line? Great midfield, some rebound defenders and a couple of forwards, but f*ck all else.

Your time is coming, I guarantee it.

Is this really coming from a geelong supporter?

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Relevance to this thread without trolling?
lol, I wasn't having a go at you as a Bulldogs supporter, that is just mere coincidence!!! No need to get defensive:p

It is simply a fact Scrimshaw salary of 400K in the scheme of things, including the Hawks list profile, window, and the perceived draft value bonus from a pick 7 two years ago with little body of substantiation regarding legitimate form, would be not be deemed significant by an astute observer IMO.

VernonSpots

Senior List
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why the complaints. We are talking about a player that could not crack into the Sun's team all year! Taking 400k off the suns books is inherently part of the trade too. Compared to the Hall deal, we def paid overs. Should have kept one of our picks.

More broadly, focusing on where he went into the draft is SOS-strategy and won't end well.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Is this really coming from a geelong supporter?
Read. Previous. Posts. Stated. That. Geelong. In. The. Same. Boat. But. At. Least. We. Have. Gone. To. The. Draft. A. Few. Times.

No comprende by Hawthorn supporters it seems. Spending too much time defending the indefensible lol.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
lol, I wasn't having a go at you as a Bulldogs supporter, that is just mere coincidence!!! No need to get defensive:p

It is simply a fact Scrimshaw salary of 400K in the scheme of things, including the Hawks list profile, window, and the perceived draft value bonus from a pick 7 two years ago with little body of substantiation regarding legitimate form, would be not be deemed significant by an astute observer IMO.
It was more just a comment based on the Suns strategy of extending multiple young unproven players to above average AFL contracts before they've played a game. They would have either hoped that these players came on quickly to justify their salary, or that it was enough of an incentive to stay up there. Obviously it didn't work on either front in this scenario. It's a dangerous strategy but I also understand that overpaying players is likely required up at GC at the moment but that's probably an issue for another thread.

Back