Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's my idea how it got done.

Scully contract is spread over 4 years and the last year is back loaded. If Scully doesn't come good, then they can put him on the rookie list and half of his wage isn't in the cap.

The other three years is minimum wage plus bonuses for games played and maybe b&f.

That minimizes the risk for the Hawks and Giants can salary cap dump.

A fit Hartung is better than what we'll see from Scully in 2019 and beyond.

I'm confused, you delisted Hartung a few weeks ago, after his first season at your club, have you offered him a rookie spot since the last news I read on him? Would make sense if you delisted him thinking you'd get both Polec and Gaff, and decided to throw him a lifeline after Gaff fell through.

Got to be some nervous medicos at Hawthorn (if he doesn't get back to a high quality standard) and GWS (if he does).
Not at all. It's a free hit. They are going for the hail mary when no one else would. It'll either be "they gave it a go" = positive as people like a doctor that isn't going to give up on them

OR

"they brought him back" = talked up, nice bonus, looks good for Hawthorn in the future (attracting injured players) and good for the medico's CV.

Here's my idea how it got done.

Scully contract is spread over 4 years and the last year is back loaded. If Scully doesn't come good, then they can put him on the rookie list and half of his wage isn't in the cap.

The other three years is minimum wage plus bonuses for games played and maybe b&f.

That minimizes the risk for the Hawks and Giants can salary cap dump.
Let’s see. May also involve a ruckman.

Given it’s not the whole picture I assume the balance of the trade, coming tomorrow, may not be in our favour.

Possible that May is in play for picks and player swap. More likely there’s a pick and player swap that help us get the Chad.

I'm confused, you delisted Hartung a few weeks ago, after his first season at your club, have you offered him a rookie spot since the last news I read on him? Would make sense if you delisted him thinking you'd get both Polec and Gaff, and decided to throw him a lifeline after Gaff fell through.
Hartung was told to walk after the Polec confirmation. Mountford was told to walk after Gaff verbally agreed to come to North on the Thursday before he changed his mind.

Club wasn't happy with how Hartung approached his rehab (hamstring injury). He half-arsed it and he missed longer than he should have. Apparently Hawthorn had the same issue with his application at times so i've heard/read?!

A fit Hartung is better than what we'll see from Scully in 2019 and beyond.

Scully and Smith still don't = Polec.
Hahahaha

You seriously think Jared Polec is better than Isaac Smith?

Izzy's made his own way and become a star of 3 flags and a vice-captian while Polec's sooking on to his third club with nothing to show for it.

Hawks have got to the point where they had to roll the dice. Best of luck.

It looks like it worked out for us with Ahern, so you never know.
For pick 68, absolutely worth the gamble. The percentage of players taken that late that become anything decent is pretty low, so its not as if they have thrown away a golden draft pick.

Not at all. It's a free hit. They are going for the hail mary when no one else would. It'll either be "they gave it a go" = positive as people like a doctor that isn't going to give up on them

OR

"they brought him back" = talked up, nice bonus, looks good for Hawthorn in the future (attracting injured players) and good for the medico's CV.
I don't agree. There is massive upside that makes it a worthwhile gamble for the Hawks. Good on em. But they are risking spending some serious coin (500? 600?) a year on a player that might not get back on to the park (or might not ever be the player he was). Let's face it, he'll be an average player at best if he loses his trademark ability to run all day. At least with Jesse Smith style scenarios in the past, they weren't giving up anything salary wise.

A "they gave it a go" is really not much of a consolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, because someone with a ****** ankle gets a 4 year deal... My god the corruption and collusion is ridiculous. I don't even care so much now that it's happened, more that you *******s can't even admit that you're corrupt and that there is back-scratching going on.
giphy.gif

Hahahaha

You seriously think Jared Polec is better than Isaac Smith?

Izzy's made his own way and become a star of 3 flags and a vice-captian while Polec's sooking on to his third club with nothing to show for it.
Last I checked AFL teams had 40+ players and the season is 25 games in length. Individually Polec is a better player. No need to drag in Hawthorn's premierships as to why every hawthorn player is better than every non-hawthorn player.

helluva deal.

No-one ever sells something valuable for peanuts though, so I'm guessing this is a case of Hawks saying we'll back our medical team in and if it doesn't work out we've lost nothing; and that's completely true. Wonderful deal for Hawthorn, with the only potential downside being the salary cap taken up. Having said that, though, no doubt the cash gained by Cyril retiring probably covers a fair chunk of it, and the rest they pay as part of the risk they offset by getting him virtually free at the trade table.

Given the Giants stance on Shiel they clearly don't see much value in Scully, but one man's trash is another man's treasure as the saying go. Great bit of business by the Hawks

Burton was a cancer among the playing list.

Will be a gun but I would rather he be humble like Hodge, Roughie and Smith. Rather than a FIGJAM type.

So when do you think they'll trade Sicily then? :D

I don't agree. There is massive upside that makes it a worthwhile gamble for the Hawks. Good on em. But they are risking spending some serious coin (500? 600?) a year on a player that might not get back on to the park (or might not ever be the player he was). Let's face it, he'll be an average player at best if he loses his trademark ability to run all day. At least with Jesse Smith style scenarios in the past, they weren't giving up anything salary wise.

A "they gave it a go" is really not much of a consolation.
FWIW I heard on trade radio that IF Scully has a career ending injury ( i.e. ankle ) then the package offered to Scully won't be included in the Hawks TPP. This really mitigates the risk to the Hawks....

Unlike Buddy or Lynch - if they retire, then their salaries though unpaid, are still counted in their respective teams TPP.

Just saying what I heard..:)

Hartung was told to walk after the Polec confirmation. Mountford was told to walk after Gaff verbally agreed to come to North on the Thursday before he changed his mind.

Club wasn't happy with how Hartung approached his rehab (hamstring injury). He half-arsed it and he missed longer than he should have. Apparently Hawthorn had the same issue with his application at times so i've heard/read?!

I'd read on the North board there was a rumour the Hartung issue at North was partly an issue with an altercation his father had with a club official. There were rumours at Hawthorn his dad liked interfering with his career and a big reason he didn't get renewed at Hawthorn was because we put a contract on the table at the start of the year that his father wouldn't let him sign because he thought it was unders. We refused to up it, and he ended up having to walk to the draft because nobody else would take him during 2017 trade week, and that is how he ended up at North.

I thought you got a bargain, but I was one of the few Hawk fans that were sorry to see him go. He'd improved every year on our list, and thought at his age, he still had more improvement in him. You'd have to think there is something else going on in the background for an improving, relatively young player (thought he had improved again this year for you guys) to be let loose two years in a row. Didn't hear negative things about his application at Hawthorn, more a general attitude issue ("what about me, I want my share" stuff). Could well have had his nose permanently out of join after he played a big sequence of games up until as late as the prelim in one of our flag years before being dropped (for Suckling from memory, but not 100% sure).

While I was a Hartung supporter, and didn't like his delisting (at Hawthorn or North), there is a world of difference between him and Scully. Scully much better decision maker, kick , and contested player than Hartung was ever likely to be. Of course Hartung doesn't have a very bad ankle injury hanging over his career, but that (and his age) are his only upside over Scully IMO. Hartung may actually have no more career which is something else in Scully's favour.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back