Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowing where Horsham is, he does a helluva job getting to the games like he does...I agree with your above idea too. In fact they should move Dad up there.
Certainly something that would be discussed I'd imagine. Huge flight risk issues. Can very easily see a situation wher Tom gets recruited to a Melbourne club, and two years from now Jarrod says "I love the club and will be forever grateful to the Lions, but it's strain on family, and we're really close with struggles we've endured together, and I think I have to move back to Vic."

In our eyes, this threat would likely propel TJ up the board a limited amount.

Certainly something that would be discussed I'd imagine. Huge flight risk issues. Can very easily see a situation wher Tom gets recruited to a Melbourne club, and two years from now Jarrod says "I love the club and will be forever grateful to the Lions, but it's strain on family, and we're really close with struggles we've endured together, and I think I have to move back to Vic."

In our eyes, this threat would likely propel TJ up the board a limited amount.

A bit of a stretch imo. Two years from now when we're right in the frame for a top 8 finish and a 2021 aim to push deep into September, I could not see Jarrod (who will no doubt be in the leadership group by then) requesting a trade merely because of his Dad wanting to see both boys play and it'll be more convenient in Melbourne.

A bit of a stretch imo. Two years from now when we're right in the frame for a top 8 finish and a 2021 aim to push deep into September, I could not see Jarrod (who will no doubt be in the leadership group by then) requesting a trade merely because of his Dad wanting to see both boys play and it'll be more convenient in Melbourne.
Because his dad wants to see both boys play.

... That's not what I said. Like, at all.

Because his dad wants to see both boys play.

... That's not what I said. Like, at all.

It really seemed like what you implied. You said Tom would climb up our draft boards because if he gets drafted to a Melbourne club Jarrod may go back to Victoria because it'll be a strain on his family. Given your post was in response was to Macmums post about how far his Dad has to travel, why wouldn't I put two and two together?

It really seemed like what you implied. You said Tom would climb up our draft boards because if he gets drafted to a Melbourne club Jarrod may go back to Victoria because it'll be a strain on his family. Given your post was in response was to Macmums post about how far his Dad has to travel, why wouldn't I put two and two together?
Righto. Let's call it miscommunication.

In my experience, families who go through losses or other trauma tend to go a couple of different ways - they either grow very close to each other, or it puts a wedge between them... This is generalised, of course, and it can vary even inside the same family - I've seen families where different siblings were reminiscent/idealising vs reclusive/distant... The Schache family are a good example for us - Josh obviously was quite insular and dependent. I think it's clear that the Berry boys are very tight knit, and I'd also say that there's a lot of evidence of the family idealising their historical roots. You can see it in interviews with Jarrod, the Fox Footy segment, the boys all shaving their heads, lots of things. And from the father in making such an effort to travel 4+ hours each way every second week.

I just wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time, Jarrod's playing footy up here, Tom's playing footy down there, the boys feel the strong desire to play together. The family is down there. The idealised hometown is back there. I would imagine that if one of them were going to move to the other, it'd probably be Jarrod.

This is, of course, by no means a certainty. But with our recruiters looking at even which kids have friendships, I'd be very surprised if they didn't consider the family angle, and the risk to someone like Jarrod, and it could easily be enough to push someone like Thomas in front of other kids they judge to be in the same draft range.

That's what I meant.

Regardless of the outcome in this trade/draft period, it’s refreshing to know that our club is run by adults, who don’t appear to get sucked into the emotion that comes with football. Swan, Noble and Fagan are extremely level-headed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the point exactly of Anna Harrington or whatever her name is on the Trade Low Down show ... its as if they’ve given the work experience girl a pointless segment offering next to nothing other than giving the results of an online poll? Adds next to nothing to the show.

What is the point exactly of Anna Harrington or whatever her name is on the Trade Low Down show ... its as if they’ve given the work experience girl a pointless segment offering next to nothing other than giving the results of an online poll? Adds next to nothing to the show.
She seems like a nice girl but, by god, is she hopeless in front of the camera. It’s hard work just watching her.

Of course Mitch Robbo is back with the early starters. That guy has a lions heart. Hope his fanaticism rubs off on more talented youngsters - imagine a team of more skilled Robbos running all over the opposition. That'd be nice to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back