Player Watch Anton Tohill (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a photo of the barrels of sunscreen that the club has brought in and stored in the basement of the Holden Centre in preparation for pre-season:

r0_173_5184_3099_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Yeah, I just had another look at the rules to see if they have changed anything from 2018 onwards (regarding Irish players on the rookie list). I'm really not sure, but maybe they have altered that rule? It would obviously be better for us if the two Irishmen could now be Cat. B rookies, because with Appleby set to be retained as a rookie and Broomhead destined for the r/l as well, there's not going to be too many vacant spots for Cat. A rookies.

Interesting times!

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

^ This should cover things but they only mention the Irish rookies in the 2017 section.

Reporting is only confusing it saying we've added both to the Cat B list but if the rules haven't changed you'd imagine Oxley will depart and if we elevate Mihocek there's the 2 spots for Broomy and 1 of these Irish guys. Means we'll have a full quota going into the draft though.

Reporting is only confusing it saying we've added both to the Cat B list but if the rules haven't changed you'd imagine Oxley will depart and if we elevate Mihocek there's the 2 spots for Broomy and 1 of these Irish guys. Means we'll have a full quota going into the draft though.

I thought clubs could have up to 3 cat B’s on their list and that was completely separate to the senior / cat A list and even outside of the salary cap?

So we’d have Madgen + the two Irish lads to max us out on Cat B

I thought clubs could have up to 3 cat B’s on their list and that was completely separate to the senior / cat A list and even outside of the salary cap?

You can only have one Irish Cat B (we think the rule is) presumably as a good-will mechanism to the GAA

Yeah, clubs can have 3 Cat B rookies but the original rules specified only 1 of them can be Irish. I can't find anything to suggest that it's changed but media reports stating that both these guys are Cat B rookies seem to suggest otherwise. I guess we'll find out soon enough. We'll either have a full Cat B or Cat A quota.

Yeah, clubs can have 3 Cat B rookies but the original rules specified only 1 of them can be Irish.
IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION
Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.
Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION
Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.
Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

So you're suggesting the media is using the Cat B because they can be signed external of the drafts, not about where they'll ultimately be listed?

So you're suggesting the media is using the Cat B because they can be signed external of the drafts, not about where they'll ultimately be listed?
Seems that way; easier I guess.

Seems that way; easier I guess.

They really need to be clearer for oldies who aren't as agile (or reckless) at jumping to conclusions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee they both look like they have been kicking the footy since birth. That’s a good start!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This isn’t to say you’re incorrect, but I had a different take. Keane looked much more natural to me. The slow motion clips of Tohill looked like there’s a fair bit to iron out.

Overall I’d have pegged Keane slightly above average and Tohill slightly below average based on the understanding that they’ve been developed in line with what you’d expect of international players i.e. starting with no base, having had a footy in their hands every spare moment for the past few months and under the guidance of expert coaching.

Last edited:
Met both the Irish lads in the lift this morning. Both in full gear and carrying Sherrins. They seemed like good blokes. As they live in my building I will proceed to stalk the bejeezus out of them and try and keep up with their progress over summer. Tarks is in charge of them. They are both enormous.

Met both the Irish lads in the lift this morning. Both in full gear and carrying Sherrins. They seemed like good blokes. As they live in my building I will proceed to stalk the bejeezus out of them and try and keep up with their progress over summer. Tarks is in charge of them. They are both enormous.

You'd better make hay then - they're only going to be in there for a week or two until the player welfare team figures out who is going to take them in.

Ahh I thought it was a bit unusual. Better time my going to work departures well. The Club must have an apartment here then.

they might be ok footballers but can they drink, whinge and cause general disruption to their fellow humans..

btw i watched the video and they appear to guide the footy down by their right hand when they kick...quite impressive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back