Player Watch #27: Sam "Clutch" Lloyd

Slow was mentioned on the dogs board, myth, go check the afl tracker app., his last 2 games alone for us against te bombers he was 3rd (for both sides) for average speed, game before that against the cats 1st for average high speed covered for both sides. He appears slow but thats not the case at al
Very quick upstairs.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
We got shafted on that one, Lloyd will be missed next year, wait till we cop a few injuries. See what happens........he should’ve played in the finals and he would’ve stayed on next year. Only need him for two to three years so we can have another crack at the finals. Was a great player to have on the fringes.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
We got shafted on that one, Lloyd will be missed next year, wait till we cop a few injuries. See what happens........he should’ve played in the finals and he would’ve stayed on next year. Only need him for two to three years so we can have another crack at the finals. Was a great player to have on the fringes.
The only problem with your theory here is, if blokes on the fringes aren't improving and pushing for a spot in the 22, it means your team has stagnated and other go past.

Lloyd did his job for us, hes not best 22, and now we attempt to develop someone who goes past Bongs and helps the 22 get better...

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The only problem with your theory here is, if blokes on the fringes aren't improving and pushing for a spot in the 22, it means your team has stagnated and other go past.

Lloyd did his job for us, hes not best 22, and now we attempt to develop someone who goes past Bongs and helps the 22 get better...
So we get rid of a player who in my opinion is best 22 only to have players waiting who are not as good but may be improving? That’s great for a 8 year plan, I’m talking about the next three years where we can seriously challenge for another flag. In four + years a lot of our stars will be in the twilight of their careers and some past it.

Felt he got better the longer he was in the system. And despite his deficiencies always seemed to play his role for the team when he came in.

What a story though. Bush league player makes it on to an AFL premiership winning list. Good luck to him.

Trades arent always about getting a win.
He wouldnt of played regular games with us and probably will at the Dogs.
Its a good-will trade.

That's the way I'm seeing our trading this year. We've got players that are going for game time. We're facilitating them, and not getting a lot back. But come the time we need some help making the deal we want we've got clubs happy to deal with us, and help things along. Low cost, possible high return.

The hard line you win I lose approach is all fine. Except that over time teams won't deal with you on any decent level.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
That's the way I'm seeing our trading this year. We've got players that are going for game time. We're facilitating them, and not getting a lot back. But come the time we need some help making the deal we want we've got clubs happy to deal with us, and help things along. Low cost, possible high return.

The hard line you win I lose approach is all fine. Except that over time teams won't deal with you on any decent level.
Ala the cheats

Jono_Hain97

All Australian
Dec 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do we instantly give up a second round pick for Hampson four years ago at give away Lloyd, miles and Ellis for virtually nothing! Do our list managers and recruiters not know the definition of ‘negotiating’ or ‘bargaining’?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Feel like we should’ve given more games to fringe players through the year, yes, but I can’t agree with playing players in finals simply to keep them on - we should intend to play our best 22.

Vice City

Rookie
Feb 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do we instantly give up a second round pick for Hampson four years ago at give away Lloyd, miles and Ellis for virtually nothing! Do our list managers and recruiters not know the definition of ‘negotiating’ or ‘bargaining’?
Players seem to be going a lot cheaper these days, now I'm not quite sure exactly why, probably something to do with salary caps and free agency and the like. Scully went to the Hawks for a pack of doritos and a nifty hat they found in salvos.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
So we get rid of a player who in my opinion is best 22 only to have players waiting who are not as good but may be improving? That’s great for a 8 year plan, I’m talking about the next three years where we can seriously challenge for another flag. In four + years a lot of our stars will be in the twilight of their careers and some past it.
I get your view, and won't argue best 22 or not...

But if he didn't push into the side that won a flag last year, then played less in a side that should have won a flag this, I wouldn't see him suddenly improving out of site to push into a team the pushes for a redemption flag TBH.

I don't think he adds to the next three years as he didn't add to the last two. A kid may not either, but if we are being realistic, the kid (whoever that is) doesn't have a high bar to beat at AFL level.

Our VFL team on the other hand will be a lot poorer for him leaving

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Feel like we should’ve given more games to fringe players through the year, yes, but I can’t agree with playing players in finals simply to keep them on - we should intend to play our best 22.
Our time to try win another flag is next 4 years. After that we gonna go through way too many changes and a rebuild. Don’t see the logic of losing good fringe players. We are going to be pretty thin if we get some injuries next year.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Our time to try win another flag is next 4 years. After that we gonna go through way too many changes and a rebuild. Don’t see the logic of losing good fringe players. We are going to be pretty thin if we get some injuries next year.
Our time to win a flag was this year too. Thats about as good a chance as you’re ever going to get to win a flag. Throwing it away by making errors is one thing, throwing it away by playing players that you know aren’t best 22 is a far larger issue. You don’t play anything other than your best available in September.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Our time to win a flag was this year too. Thats about as good a chance as you’re ever going to get to win a flag. Throwing it away by making errors is one thing, throwing it away by playing players that you know aren’t best 22 is a far larger issue. You don’t play anything other than your best available in September.
We didn’t play our best in the final, that what part of the problem of why we lost.

Back